"This isn't Milli Vanilli"

See story...

Are these guys a bunch of premo whiners or what? It's January. Did they expect 60 + temps when they agreed to show up? I wonder if they'd not played at all if we didn't live in the pre-recorded age. They should of grabbed some plastic instruments and Stevie Wonder's synth for the piano and went for the live show. So what if it sucked. At least we can be grateful for the attempt and sacrifice in the cold.

Blah!!!

tj: I was a bit dismayed to have read that story in today's paper, too. But, those guys are a class-act . . . well regarded musicians and if Perlman said it was too cold to properly play, I believe him.

I've played with Perlman - two separate occasions while a band with whom I was playing toured Israel in 1982 (one was a lengthy backroom jam session after a radio show we did in Tel Aviv). The man can get down with the best and didn't need written music to do it. He was a wonderful player and even better gentleman. The band was led by actor George Segal who also plays banjo. Zuben Mehta played drums during the jam. A real blast for me. DAVE

tj: I was a bit dismayed to have read that story in today's paper, too. But, those guys are a class-act . . . well regarded musicians and if Perlman said it was too cold to properly play, I believe him.

I've played with Perlman - two separate occasions while a band with whom I was playing toured Israel in 1982 (one was a lengthy backroom jam session after a radio show we did in Tel Aviv). The man can get down with the best and didn't need written music to do it. He was a wonderful player and even better gentleman. The band was led by actor George Segal who also plays banjo. Zuben Mehta played drums during the jam. A real blast for me. DAVE

I'm sure they're all fine folks. IMO, this was just a bad move and/or bad planning all they way around. At a time where the theme(s) of the inauguration were sacrifice and getting back to reality, they gave us blame it on the cold... or was it rain :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Now it all makes sense! I couldn't understand how they could possibly be playing in tune.

When the band I played in, played at the Canada Winter Games a few years ago, we played 2 outdoor shows in sub zero weather. (Remember we're in Celsius here, so it was -15 C approximately, which is around 5 degrees Fahrenheit.) My saxes were flatter than I could ever compensate for, and the guitar was of course sharper than anything. It was awful! All the musical acts sounded horrendous over the course of the Games, which were held in February in northern New Brunswick. The audience went away without any understanding of what the acts they listened to really sounded like.

I wonder why this made the news. It shouldn't have. It's really a non-story as far as I can see. It's not like they didn't actually perform it themselves. Given the stature of the event, they made the best decision they could at the time. They shouldn't have to defend it now.

Last edited:
They made the right decision. This wasn't exactly a marching band. Besides the intonation problems due to the cold, imagine how numb their fingers felt.

I'm o.k. with it as well. I've played outside in the cold and if given the choice would not ever play outside in cold conditions. I think they should have been more upfront about it. I remember being really surprised that they were in tune.

Inaugural performances

Many years ago, the Kansas City Youth Symphony was asked to play at the mayor's inauguration. (It has been many years since I was a youth :rolleyes:) We performed outdoors, on the steps. In January. As we were playing, or trying to play (I think we all had a bit of involuntary vibrato), it began snowing. I don't remember what we played, but I do remember it not being very much in tune...

Yeah, and the clarinetist and strings could have worn thick mittens. After all, isn't it the attempt that counts, not the sound? :-D

I did an outdoor gig--on bari sax--in December in about 48-degree weather. Talk about frustrating... it was a Latin jazz big band and there are a lot of exposed parts on the bottom of the horn, which was playing at least 30 cents flatter than the top of the range by the second set. I ended up having to take most of the stuff up an octave just to get anywhere near the pitch.

So, no way am I going to second-guess a decision to run a recording the same ensemble made over the P.A. in that kind of event. I *know* I wasn't the only one who noticed how out-of-tune the trumpet fanfares were.

For the record, I own instruments I simply won't play outside. To do so in sub-freezing temps? Unthinkable.

I've done one or two concert band concerts to help out friends, and had to play outdoors in questionable temperatures (50° F and downward). They were catastrophic events that shouldn't be dignified with the term "performance", and were a failure for musicians and audience alike. It's one of the reasons that I avoid concert bands like the I do the plague.

(I have filled in pep bands that were short on the bass end, but there I have always played baritone sax - a different proposition from dragging my fragile bass clarinet out in the cold.)

Truth be told, inaugurations are overdone, over produced events, and here in the US of A they are held during the worst possible time (Washington DC, slap in the middle of the "sleet belt" in the dead of winter). Asking musicians to "perform" in such conditions is an error from the very get-go, and the planners who ignored this should be sent through the same conditions, just for the fun of watching them deal with the same conditions.

But, people are people, and this will continue indefinitely. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

I bet sales of Backun barrels and bells has seen an upward spike, though...

Many major orchestras have a clause in their contract with musicians that prohibits performances in extreme temperatures. It is usually initiated by the musicians, who in some cases play on instruments worth over a million dollars.

I wouldn't have minded, but the recording they used was terrible. I blamed it on it being a board feed from a PA.

On the recording the violin was WAY up front, the cello next, the clarinet was kind of there when the texture was not too dense, and the piano sounded like he was playing a somewhere in Virginia.

See story...

Are these guys a bunch of premo whiners or what? It's January. Did they expect 60 + temps when they agreed to show up? I wonder if they'd not played at all if we didn't live in the pre-recorded age. They should of grabbed some plastic instruments and Stevie Wonder's synth for the piano and went for the live show. So what if it sucked. At least we can be grateful for the attempt and sacrifice in the cold.

Blah!!!

I couldn't disagree more with this post especially coming from a fellow musician. These people are among the greatest players in the world on their respective instruments. They don't do performances that "suck". Trying to establish a contradiction between the decision the musicians made and the theme of sacrifice in President Obama's inaugural address is just plain silly in my opinion. Making poor decisions and then sticking with them is the theme of the outgoing administration. It is nice to see people making intelligent and well informed decisions for a change---like not playing the premiere public performance of a piece over the airwaves under conditions that would make it impossible to play the work in tune and at the highest level of musicality.

John

I more or less agree, but....

Trotting Yo Yo and Friends out, to sit and mime through a performance that was being delivered through a PA system, is sort of "stagey" and more about showing off who was doing the performance than it was about the performance itself.

In doing so, they were mimicking a large part of the "art" music (and the "arts" at large) world. When considering local symphonic performances, there is a tendency to highlight the "stars" who may be performing, the better to hype the interest in the performance.

The worst case of this was a traveling tour company of Porgy And Bess that rolled through Saint Louis back in the 1980's. This "opera/musical", as you may know, has an almost exclusively black cast, and this company was no exception, having only two white actors involved, the police lieutenant and the coroner.

All of the leads and the company at large were top drawer vocal and acting talent, but they only drew polite applause through the first half of the show. So, who got the first standing ovation, two thirds of the way through the whole show?

None other than Corporal Agarn, the inimitable Larry Storch of F Troop fame, who played the (non) pivotal role of the Coroner. He didn't sing a note (none of the white actors ever do), and only had three or four lines.

Yet, he got the attention - in his case, simply because of his celebrity. Indeed, in the television promotion of the show prior to its arrival in Saint Louis, you would have thought that the role of Sportin' Life was being played by Storch, so prominent was he featured in the copy and visuals.

Just how the huge majority of the cast, who could sing circles around Larry's speaking voice, much less his singing one, felt about all of this was not recorded. If they were typical of performers, they were probably glad that he drew the crowds that he did.

(And, none of this is to take anything away from Mr. Storch's talents as a comedian. I've met the man, and he was both gracious and very analytic of just how comedy works - not something you would have expected from someone whose comedic skills were usually of the physical, slapstick kind.)

The only problem with the performance at the Capitol is that they didn't need "star power" to draw the crowd - it was guaranteed. No need to expose the horn, the cast iron piano frame and the cigar boxes to the cold - they were going to pipe in the music in any event.

But, just like the poem, and the prayers, and the procession of aged presidents and vice presidents, it's all there for the pageantry of it all. Give any event organizer an inch of slack, and the next thing you know they'll be staging Aida as a backdrop to whatever they are trying to do. They just can't help themselves.

I've been roped into a couple such affairs in the past. One was the dedication of the second Busch Stadium in Saint Louis. My high school band was chosen to perform (a premier performance) the Saint Louis Bicentennial March. In order to do this, we were herded into the bleacher section of the stadium at 10:00 AM, fed a box lunch at 2:00 PM, and then sat in wool uniforms in spring heat for five hours, waiting for our magic moment.

Aside from being pelted from above by the Soldan High School choir with the contents of their box lunches, we were rationed both in drinks of water and in restroom visits. By the end of the evening at 9:30 PM or so, there were many among us who were considering some sort of revolution. All this for a piece of music that probably has never been heard since, and which was widely ignored by the masses assembled.

Another such pointless event was one where the very aged Admiral Stockdale (vice presidential candidate with Ross Perot) was dragged out at a Veteran's Day "celebration" in 40° F temperatures here in Houston and made to sit in the VIP section for about an hour while the event organizers pursued their program of allowing local politicians to speak about how much they honored our veterans. All the while, the aged and physically ill admiral was sitting there, shaking like a leaf.

But, I'm just an old crank who doesn't see any reason why activities inappropriate for a given occasion are proceeded with regardless. I feel the same way about NFL cheerleaders, the stupid berets that the Army has taken to wearing in recent years, and the pointless political activities that seem to be part of Texas life (we have a lot of elections down here - it seems like there is one every other month).

Now excuse me - I have to go chase some neighborhood children off of my lawn...

Last edited:
Terry, remember to beat 'em with your cane.

:p

On a somewhat different tack,

One of the reasons I like getting an MP3/CD of a performance that has been processed and edited is ... it sounds good. And I can keep replaying it. The live performance might be kewl 'n' stuff, but it's ... overpriced, generally.

BTB, what happened was the equivalent of lip syncing, Not "Milli Vanilli": Milli Vanilli's "frontmen" didn't have any musical chops. Yo-Yo Ma, et al, definitely do.

I couldn't disagree more with this post especially coming from a fellow musician. These people are among the greatest players in the world on their respective instruments. They don't do performances that "suck". Trying to establish a contradiction between the decision the musicians made and the theme of sacrifice in President Obama's inaugural address is just plain silly in my opinion. Making poor decisions and then sticking with them is the theme of the outgoing administration. It is nice to see people making intelligent and well informed decisions for a change---like not playing the premiere public performance of a piece over the airwaves under conditions that would make it impossible to play the work in tune and at the highest level of musicality.

John

As a fellow musician, if I agreed to do the live gig, that's what would have happened. The show must go on. They should of set up in the capital rotunda and have it piped out to the public if they didn't want to have the cold to screw things up. Planning in this case was the bad decision.

Okay, so... I agree with you on one point. Making this a political issue is a stretch. It just reminded me of more of the same as old. That's all.

Terry, you should write a book. Really. I'd be happy to read all your stories.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom