Through the ranks

I rejoined the community band for the Spring concert playing the 1st alto book. The recent Summer concert (Sunday past) I played the 2nd alto book. Last night I attended the first rehearsal for the next concert. I played the tenor book.

Am I being demoted? What's next? Triangle?

I'd rather play anything except tenor in a concert band. :-(

Talk to the director.

I'd rather play anything except tenor in a concert band. :-(

Talk to the director.

I was switched to tenor because the theme is big band music, and the two tenor players can neither swing nor solo.

I'd rather play in a polka band than in a concert band...
I played string bass in a polka band one summer. I subbed for the accordian player's grandmother until she recovered from an operation.

It was not a good gig for picking up chicks.

I was switched to tenor because the theme is big band music, and the two tenor players can neither swing nor solo.

There you go, Al! Sounds like it's maybe all good. However, if you end up on cow bell, better have another chat!

Ruth

I played string bass in a polka band one summer. I subbed for the accordian player's grandmother until she recovered from an operation.

I don't know I suspect a lot of them would fall and need to be picked up. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was so thrilled about being asked to switch from 1st alto to tenor in a concert band, and not because there were no swingers in the tenor group, that I left and never came back.

Maybe, it helps when the grandmother returns.

As for your "problem", I think it may be your versatility. It generally seems that in life, the least agile individuals get to dictate how things work, not the opposite way around.

Wednesday we rehearsed charts from the so-called "repertory book," which is the marches and crowd pleasers that we don't usually do in concert. This is for the Flag Day concert in the park coming up on Sunday.

The tenor saxes sit directly in front of the baritone horns. I never realized that most of what the tenor sax plays is doubled on baritone horn (which sounds to me like a valve trombone). I wonder why a concert band needs tenor saxes.

It generally seems that in life, the least agile individuals get to dictate how things work, not the opposite way around.
I'm not as agile as I once was. But I'm as agile once as I ever was.

Back
Top Bottom