"Today's Music is #@$%!"

...German country-western, if you will.
I gave up on German music (other than Classical) when:

a) I found out that Germans think that The Hoff is still kewl.
b) When someone at work introduced me to Ramstein's "Du Hast Mich", the video thereof contains a good bit of high-octane nightmare fuel. And "Du Hast Mich" is one of their tamer videos.

Then again, I discovered the band Acid Bath this weekend. Their music is unofficially categorized as "sludge metal" and they're somewhat country at times ....

As an aside, I think we should have a competition for the person with the most eclectic taste in music.

It always comes down to personal taste.

One thing that helps me to have an appreciation for a wide-range of music is I studied avant-garde classical (before it was called New Music) as well as jazz in the 60's and 70's. Much of the far-out stuff I heard -- and wrote -- makes much of today's music seem pretty mild by comparison. :))

Another thing that I'm finding to be really helpful is connecting with composers, musicians, and groups on facebook that are doing really cool innovative things. For example, check out Diane Moser's Composers Big Band. I'm pretty much burned out on conventional big bands and the kind of writing typically being done for them (still using fundamental arranging concepts that are over 75 years old). However, hearing Diane's band got my juice flowing again. I've found many other people on facebook -- as well as on other online music sites -- who are creating really wonderful music.

With that in mind, I reject the statement that today's music is &^&%$&. LOOK FOR THE GOOD STUFF AND YOU'LL FIND IT.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom