Transposition question..

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before :)

I would like to play the clarinet and maybe other woodwind instruments later. It's purely for fun and I'm not going to play with others. I'm not set on any particular genre either - I just want to see where the musik takes me.

I understand that clarinets, saxophones and other woodwind instruments (except the oboe) are transposition instruments. What I'm not so sure about is how one would transition between the different kinds clarinet variants. And do you play differently when playing alone than with a band or an orchestra (concert pitch)? Can I play different kinds of clarinets (Bb, A ....) and saxophones (alto, tenor ...) exactly the same way, but with a displaced pitch? Is it only when playing with other instruments that you have to change the way you play?

Thanks in advance :)

-Eddie

What I'm not so sure about is how one would transition between the different kinds clarinet variants. And do you play differently when playing alone than with a band or an orchestra (concert pitch)? Can I play different kinds of clarinets (Bb, A ....) and saxophones (alto, tenor ...) exactly the same way, but with a displaced pitch? Is it only when playing with other instruments that you have to change the way you play?
Hi Eddie :D
Lets just talk about clarinet, to start.
Say (for ex), you play the note "C" on the "Bb clarinet". Go to a piano, and that note you played will actually sound the same note as "Bb" on the piano.

Imagine you have an "A Clarinet" also. Play the note "C" on this instrument using the *exact* same fingering you just used on the other clarinet. Go again to the piano, and that note will actually be the note "A" on the piano. (but you probly know all this,)
So,

Can I play different kinds of clarinets (Bb, A ) [edit]...exactly the same way, but with a displaced pitch?
yep.

MOST band /orch parts will say at the top of the page which clarinet you are to use. Fingering the note "C" on different pitched clarinets, will produce different results in pitch, so

Is it only when playing with other instruments that you have to change the way you play?

if your part says Bb Clarinet, and you are playing a Bb clarinet, then you dont have to change the way you play. If your part says "A clarinet" OR... "C clarinet" ; and you only have a Bb clarinet, then most clarinetists would either ask for a Bb part, or just kinda sit there until the conductor eventually notices theyre not *actually* doing anything, then they either get a part in Bb, or a excuse to buy an A clarinet. There are clarinetists that can easily play a part written for "A" or "C" clarinet on a Bb instrument, but i digress.

Sax is another kettle of herring. For now what's vital to know is: the bigger the sax, the more fish one can cook in its bell. :emoji_smile::emoji_smile::emoji_smile:

Another way to answer this is that all of the clarinets in the clarinet family are fingered the same with the exception of some of the added lowest notes on the larger clarinets. So once you learn to play one, you know the fingerings for all of the different sizes. The same is true for the saxophone family with the baritone having an added note 1/2 step lower.

Thanks for the answers. That makes sense :)

I guess what I wanted to know was if it's important which type of clarinet or sax I should choose other than my own preference. But as you explained I can pick any type up and play the same finger positions on them, especially when I only play by myself and not with others.

One more thing though. For example, if I play the same song on a a Bb- and A-clarinet, the notes are actually different, but it will sound okay when playing alone, right? So it's like playing a song on the piano and then playing it again but with all keys displaced a couple of steps. Is that correct?

if I play the same song on a a Bb- and A-clarinet, the notes are actually different, but it will sound okay when playing alone, right? So it's like playing a song on the piano and then playing it again but with all keys displaced a couple of steps. Is that correct?
yep, you got it :) good luck in your endeavours

Back
Top Bottom