Unique Refinished YAS-23

I think it looks pretty nice. Here's the ad:

This is an overhauled and refinished Yamaha YAS-23 with a factory new neck.

For this sale it has been completely disassembled, the lacquer stripped from the body, and the nickle plating chemically removed from the keys, guards, and screws. The keys and body were then chemically cleaned and given a light brush finish using 3M very fine abrasive pads. Following the new cosmetic finish the body and keys were give a coat of Renaissance Wax to help protect the finish from dirt and fingerprints and to prolong the natural development of patina that occurs on all unlacquered brass.

The sax has been given a mechanical overhaul usually found on more expensive professional saxophones. This includes the precise fitting of all of the keys, polishing the hinge tubes and rods, the use of tech cork, synthetic felt, teflon, and ultrasuede in critical areas to provide the optimum performance and wear possible. All of the toneholes have been made perfectly flat removing the smallest amount of metal possible using fine diamond grit rotary files. All springs have been tightened in their posts and given a uniform tension throughout in keeping with their function and relationship to other keys and springs.

During final assembly all hinge tubes and rods have been lubricated with Ultimax synthetic medium key oil, and all pivot screws and rollers have been lubricated with Ultimax Pivot and Roller Lubricant. The saxophone has been given a set of perfectly sized Precision Leather Pads from Music Medic installed using Ferree's top quality dark amber shellac. The saxophone has been play tested and given final adjustments over 3 days and plays perfectly from the altissimo range down to low Bb at all dynamic levels. To top it off, it comes in a brand new professional style hard shell case.

Because this is an exceptional saxophone in better than factory new condition, a starting price of $600 has been set on this auction, which is about half of what you would pay to have the same type and level of service done to your own saxophone.

If you are wondering why so much time and effort was invested in a Yamaha student model saxophone, it is because this was done as a side project of The Saxophone Shop to test certain products and techniques. The findings are yes, Caswell's B29 nickle remover works, and yes Aircraft Paint remover works on Yamaha's tough lacquer. Renaissance Wax is easy to apply and performs as advertised, and 3M very fine abrasive pads provide a nice satin finish on bare brass with a minimal amount of metal removed.
It's now (essentially) a brand new horn, provided the horn was overhauled as per the ad. I do, however, think the $950 "buy it now" is probably too high: I took a brief look at closed ads and I see a lot of 52 through 61 models for about the same price. Again, while the pretty is nice, you can't play the shine. (They do have it at no reserve and starts at $600.)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJ!8FI9HS4ZY!BSP43Nyk!Q~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqVHJ!8FI9HS4ZY!BSP43Nyk!Q~~60_57.JPG
    413.5 KB · Views: 489
The YAS-23 has been replaced with the YAS-26 which is essentially the same saxophone with a little beefier neck socket and screw and (I think) a low B - C# closing mechanism. These sell for around $1900 new. I haven't seen one up close and personal yet so I can't comment on how well they are made. The Yamaha "Advantage" series made somewhere in Indonesia instead of Japan were disappointing to say the least. They were not close to the same level as the 23's.

I believe Yamaha along with other manufacturers have had to contend with rising labor costs, and are scrambling to remain competitive with the flood of Taiwanese and now Vietnamese saxophones on the market which are getting better all the time. What is keeping the price of the used YAS-23's down is the incredible number of them in the marketplace. In the past 6 months on Ebay there were 1670 sold at an average price of $350. New and like new are selling for around $1200.

First, let me mention that YMMV depending on what part of the world you're in. Seriously. There was the YAS-25, for instance, which was available in Asia and Europe.

Anyhow, Yamaha USA's current offerings are listed on their website. The 23 is still listed on that page, but Yamaha's Amazon page and a couple of other random dealers show that they're no longer available new. The 26 is. However, if you compare the 23 to the 26, you'll notice that the long rods for the G#/C#/B/Bb cluster on the 26 looks a lot more "Selmer Mark VI-Like" (it's actually "more Yamaha 34/52 like"). To me that means that the 26 is more of a replacement for the 275 than the 23. I briefly checked and I also can't find any new 275s for sale.

For those of you out there without tonight's line-up card, Yamaha names their horns like, "YAS-275." The "YAS" stands for "Yamaha Alto Sax." The "2" in the numbers means "student model." "6" is for non-handmade professional horns (e.g. YAS-62) and "8" is for their custom pro horns (e.g. YAS-875). After that, the numbering scheme has faltered quite a bit since I bought my YBS-52 in the 1980s. As an example, the 34 replaced the YBS-52 in some markets, but they're almost identical horns. In other words, you could end up with something like, "A 34 isn't better than a 52, but is a 475 is better than a 52?"

(There was a 61 [e.g. YAS-61] and a 21 [e.g. YAS-21]. The former was Yamaha's first pro model and the latter was their first student model.)

There was an "O" model student horn. This was a horn contracted out to a plant in Indonesia. The "AD" horns may have been 100% farmed out to China. I haven't seen enough of them with a "Made in" stamp to know. They were supposed to have been made to be more easy to repair.

Finally, don't confuse the AD horns with the "AL" horns. Those are the "Allegro" models and were higher-end intermediate horns sold to the education market.

Recently, Yamaha has contracted out some work on their student horns to a plant they own in Indonesia -- I've seen pics of the plant and it does say "Yamaha" on the side -- and I'm fairly positive I remember seeing at least one Yamaha stamped with "Made in China."

=============

EDIT: I see there are 22 hours left on the eBay ad an no bids. Hey, $601 is a pretty good price for that horn, provided the ad copy is truthful.

Hey, this is me you are talking about. Whadda ya mean provided the ad copy is truthful. :wink:

Hey, this is me you are talking about. Whadda ya mean provided the ad copy is truthful. :wink:
Oh. I didn't know you were the seller. You didn't actually mention that.

Oh. I didn't know you were the seller. You didn't actually mention that.

Who else would use the name "saxnut"? It actually sold for just the opening bid price of $600 which is a bit disappointing considering the amount of work put into it. But after all it was still a YAS-23. Someone on another forum commented, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig" which I took as an insult since it was "my" pig he was referring to. Nevertheless, somebody got a great playing saxophone for a great price and I learned a great deal in the process.

Hey, if I was looking for a sax and only had a $600 budget, I would have been all over that, too. Someone got himself a pretty good buy.

EDIT: ... and this horn isn't a pig. It's a good horn that's been set-up great. I'd call the analogy police on that poster.

I just "sniped" another YAS-23 on Ebay for $122.50 + $20 shipping. This one might get the "Brute" finish. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom