Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Well, that was a waste of time

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I do have most weekends off. I just had to pick up Daughter 2.0 today, and that was it. That meant that I could sit down and add some more pics to my picture gallery.

There was one thing I had a problem with in Piwigo, the software my picture gallery uses, though. It doesn't search album names. It searches just about everything but that. Well, I had the time, so I wanted to see what my options were. I decided to try to add Google Site Search, which does search album titles. However, I wanted to add that as a menu item. Well, there's a Piwigo plugin that allows you to add menus, so let's try that. Hmm. It's not letting me rename the menu. I wonder if the plugin's out of date. Oh. Both the plugin and my Piwigo version are out of date. Let's update these. They're just bugfix updates. Erm. Why is it now showing a list of all my 11,000+ albums on every page?

The problem was that one plugin that's supposed to be all update-y and stuff seems to have stomped all over the theme (read "graphic layout") I used. That means I had to go through all the Piwigo themes and find one that actually works. There were 3 out of 60. Goodbye free time!

The other not-so-fun thing was that I really didn't fix that menu plugin. I couldn't get it to work. I eventually found a way to just paste the link to the Google Custom Search on the bottom of all my pages. Not as elegant as I wanted, but that'll do for now. Well, the new theme is also kinda pretty ...

--------

One other interesting thing I found was my gallery's hit counter, which is something I found when I was looking for the "repair database" function. 1.1 million page views this year and 1.6 million last year. I'm more popular than I thought.

No worries. Mostly just venting about updates that break more things than they fix.

Anyhow, I spent a couple more hours with it, today, fiddling with CSS. I like the result. It's more visually appealing to me, at least. I also created that Javascript/CSS button for "Horn Details" in the upper left. So, I've turned around "broken" to "Ooh. Extra goodness."

It does look like the "easiest" solution to the search engine kinda sucking is to put a bunch of keywords in the picture's description field. *I* would call those tags, but Piwigo doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom