WF New People Introductions

Hi, My name is Griff, I am a woodwind and brass repairer from the UK, I play mainly saxes but can blow a scale down all the instruments I repair.

Glad to be aboard and am looking forward to contributing to the forum.

Griff

www.dg-music.co.uk

Hi there Griff. I'm Ben and I have a strange inclination towards off-brand products. I am a nerd because I have my own alto clarinet (and today my band buddy says it suits my personality :emoji_astonished:). I play soprano and bass clarinet in band and honk on saxes just because.

Have fun in here.

If you must join this forum, I strongly recommend that you stop working on brasswind instruments. There is an army of talkative 3-feet tall purple creatures with bright orange eyes that keeps following me around. They do not tolerate brasswinds. Sooner or later they will find out and come for you. As a matter of fact, there are two of them looking over my shoulder as I type.

Hi to all of you!

IM new to the forum , here and have been on the sister site SOTW[if you like sinse 2007 jazzcat58].
I play quite a bit of clarinet, soprano,alto and bass,and teach at a couple of schools.
Besides teaching i play out giging in various bands in the south west of england mainly somerset, where i am from.
I also play saxophone and flute[the sax would be my primary instrument]
I feel the forum will be valuable for gaining and sharing advice!,more so about clarinet issues, and look forward to chatting over various topics..

regards bryan

Last edited:
Hi Bryan
Welcome , I'm also a sax player that loves the clarinet and came here for intelligent clarinet discourse.
SOTW is fun and all but they're awfully obsessed with stuff (or GAS) over there. :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Hi Bryan
Welcome , I'm also a sax player that loves the clarinet and came hear for intelligent clarinet discourse.
SOTW is fun and all but they're awfully obsessed with stuff (or GAS) over there. :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Yeah... No one over here suffers from G.A.S. :emoji_smile:

Welcome aboard Bryan.

I'm Helen. I'm the Content Expert/Moderator for the Saxophone Section of the Woodwind Forum. Welcome to our little corner of the WWW. Besides our staff, we have some of the most knowledgeable & helpful members I have ever had the pleasure to "talk" with. I sincerely hope you enjoy your time here. I find I gain interesting insights regularly. Hopefully that will be your experience as well.

Introduction

Hi, I'm new here. I played clarinet at school in the early 50's, and then later I played E Flat clarinet in the station band when I was in the Air Force. I gave up the clarinet in '69 and didn't touch one until last year, when I bought an old Evette and started again. I play in a concert band and dabble a bit in jazz, mostly traditional/dixieland. Being a techo, I'm an equipment junkie, and now have quite a few clarinets and even more mouthpieces. My normal rig is a Boosey and Hawkes Emperor with a Vandoren B45 mouthpiece, but for jazz I use a Selmer Soloist with a LeBlanc crystal mouthpiece. I prefer the tone of the Emperor for classical/orchestrial music, but find the Selmer allows more agility.
Tony F.

Yeah... No one over here suffers from G.A.S. :emoji_smile:

Welcome aboard Bryan.

I'm Helen. I'm the Content Expert/Moderator for the Saxophone Section of the Woodwind Forum. Welcome to our little corner of the WWW. Besides our staff, we have some of the most knowledgeable & helpful members I have ever had the pleasure to "talk" with. I sincerely hope you enjoy your time here. I find I gain interesting insights regularly. Hopefully that will be your experience as well.

Thanks helen,n,bob!..
its nice to be welcomed!.
kind regards bryan

Welcome Tony,
and welcome back to playing clarinet after such a long layover

Different clarinets certainly offer different playing rewards. I really like the Soloists for their Selmer USA's flexibility.

And your Boosey is a great instrument too. I was just playing a 926 for a bit and those are fantastic clarinets.

Welcome back to the Clarinet world and welcome to this board.

Steve

If you must join this forum, I strongly recommend that you stop working on brasswind instruments. There is an army of talkative 3-feet tall purple creatures with bright orange eyes that keeps following me around. They do not tolerate brasswinds. Sooner or later they will find out and come for you. As a matter of fact, there are two of them looking over my shoulder as I type.

uh-oh .. i play french horn and cornet .. actually getting back into the two after years off from them.

Tony: Welcome aboard. I too am a trad-jazz fan and player (soprano sax, alto sax, and clarinet). In fact, that is ALL I play - all by ear although I can play through a chord chart and I do read notes, etc.

I favor Boehm clarinets over Alberts (the REAL traditional jazz clarinet) but have both. My main clarinet is a Buffet RC Prestige, Lakey #5 mouthpiece, and a Fibracell SOFT reed.

I am huge fan of Johnny Dodds and Sidney Bechet (both clarinet and soprano sax) and many of the other clarinetists from the era of original jazz.

I know of one terrific reed player in your country - Paul Furniss. I've heard him live and have a couple of his recordings when he was with Tom Baker's band.

I've been at it for over 50 years. Anything you need to ask, I'm available, either here or by PM. DAVE

Hi all. I recently found the woodwind forum after a google search for some clarinet info. I've been a reader of SOTW for awhile but rarely post.

I'm a longtime hobbyist player of clarinet and saxophone and have recently switched my self-description to "semi-professional" for clarinet and sax (SATB). I'm willing to use the verb "play" with flute but typically stick with "use" on piccolo, at least for now. I enjoy composing and arranging (mostly jazz, some classical) but don't do it often. I've warned my wife that if I get an alto flute or bass sax it's a potential indicator of a mid-life crisis (in me, not in others). I'm undecided about if a bass clarinet for me is a crisis or a good idea.

I look forward to reading useful and just-plain-fun information here.

Mike

Last edited:
Hey chemEtoo, I'm a fan of 21st centry Jazz Arrangers and I'd love to hear one of your arrangements sometime.

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home, I know I do.

Hey chemEtoo, I'm a fan of 21st centry Jazz Arrangers and I'd love to hear one of your arrangements sometime.

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home, I know I do.

Thanks, acglass. I've had several arrangements played by various big bands (none that you've probably heard of), but the recent performances haven't been recorded and the recorded performances are on cassette (shows my age), which I haven't managed to convert to mp3 yet. If you're in southern New England I can let you know if we're performing one sometime.

I am new here..

Hello.
I am New member in this Community. This is my First post in this Forum because Posting another post, first I wanted to give you my introduction.
I tell you a little bit about me that I love to listen Music and Discussion with each other and like to play Chess.
Thanks to the moderator for allowing me to be here.

Hello

I am new to this forum. I have played guitar for 15 years and as of the first of this new year begun to learn to play the clarinet. I am enjoying the challenge of learning this instrument and look forward to reading the various posts here on this forum.

Regards

Joining the forum

I'm what I'd call a lazy amateur who's getting more serious about my playing.

A couple of years back I picked up my Buffet R13 Bb again after 15 years or so off and started playing with our local community wind band, which supports the middle and high school music programs. The horn only needed a couple of pads and some tinkering to get it into playable condition, but after a few months I decided to go for broke, and combined a vacation in the Pacific Northwest with a visit to Backun (I sent the horn ahead for a complete overhaul), and came away with a MOBA barrel and bell, which made a tremendous difference in my sound.

But a couple of months ago, the band's bass clarinetist moved away, and I jumped at the chance to try the instrument, so now my Thursday nights are spent on an old Selmer 9 (to Eb). I love the bass clarinet (I get solos now!), and playing it is improving my soprano performance too, especially when it comes to breathing (no surprise, I guess--I can't get away with chest breathing on a bass). I'll want one of my own someday--this one belongs to the high school, so I don't want to put a lot of money into it, and I'd like a low-C instrument anyway.

I'm also part of a start-up clarinet ensemble (so far just a trio, but we're hoping for at least one more player), where I have a chance to play both bass and soprano. I don't know where this will take me, but I'm a lot more serious about practicing than I've ever been, and I look forward to the knowledge I'll gain from hanging out on this board.

One more thing. My wife and I are both writers (each of us has had science fiction or fantasy novels published), and we're starting a collaboration on a paranormal romance involving musicians, so who knows what will turn out to be useful here!

Back
Top Bottom