What does Superstar mean to you ?

I just recently moved, and one of the few positives of any move is rediscovering long forgotten items.
One such item was an old Doonesbury volume that I've been reading. One of these strips discussed
how the word "Superstar " had been overused and devalued. It got me thinking of how often other
people (myself included) over use words like Legend, Great, Monster ... when it comes to their favorite player.

So what does define a Great player, a Legend ? For me, a truly great player must possess both great technical skills along with a creative and expressive style to a high degree. If they fall short in any area, I consider them as an excellent player and musician, perhaps one of the better players, but not necessarily great or a legend. They could well be one of my most favorite musicians, but I still would not classify them as great or legendary. For an example, a certain sax player with a suspect tonal quality does not fall into my category of a Legend like many others would tag him so. He may be a pioneer, but for me pioneer and legendary are 2 distinctly different descriptions. His place in history is confirmed, but does that make him a "GREAT PLAYER" ?

So what I would ask of others is this. What is your idea of a Legend ? Should we be so generous with our praise ?
Do we diminish the praise heaped on the truly deserving by casually bestowing same such praise on others less deserving ? I for one have always been of the mindset that there is not enough recognition and attention given to todays instrumental musicians. But does that mean we tag all popular players as great ? Do we tag yesterdays players as legends just because they came first ?

I am interested to hear what you all believe.

Stephen

And yes, I do have too much time on my hands at the moment.:cool:

Last edited:
I like so many players out there that I end up trying to characterize their playing as lyrical music patterns, technically astute, sublime improv chops, and the like. Labeling them a "monster" seems somehow too vague.

Last edited:
It does seem vague. And like yourself, I do appreciate a multitude
of different musicians. But I find that only a small handful fall into
my category of great or legendary. I suppose my meandering thoughts
were meant to separate the truly special few that are deserving of the
title "Great or Legead". I do like the fact that you have your own way
of appreciating fellow musicians. As I have gotten older, my appreciation for
many things has grown to include the imperfect, in fact sometimes for that very imperfection itself.

You know, I'm getting too deep here. Lets talk about racks.
Here's my list of my favorite racks.

Gun rack
Tire rack
Magazine rack ... ;-)

...I remember that I've been reproached of being a kinky European...

Having said that, I'm not a recognition person. Some artist may play a piece that gives me goose pimples, but that's a very personal act - in another 99 cases I don't get anyting, or maybe just a mild rash.

So...I am curious about who's next who's doing it for me, like Melanie Safka, or Joe Cocker who sang the Rutles (or whoever they were) into oblivion. But a "hero", a "monster", no. Not even King Log although I'd love to have a CD of 'em.

See I wasn't *even* gonna go there. Sigh... ;-)
You know Terry's wife? What is so special about the rack that she owns and what it used for? I think there is something here I am missing. Maybe it is because English is not my native language. My wife has racks for her clothing, but they don't seem that special to me. My favorite rack is a SaxRax. Is there anything wrong with that?

I don't have a gun rack, but I DO have a gun safe!

To the question that started it, I see a SUPERSTAR as one who has instant recognition across all artistic genres.

For music, I think maybe Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, Kenny G, and Michael Jackson were/are musical SUPERSTARS. And no, I am no fan of Kenny G and MJ, but admit that most everyone has heard of them and knows of their existence. I don't think you can say the same about many of our favorite players. DAVE

steen,
SOTSDOs' wifes rack...He was speaking about her, um, breasts.

I'm wierd so Superstar to me means someone has some really good PR people working for them. The more times you get your name up in lights...
Great or legendary usually means they were/are really good, and are now dead, or close to being dead.

My favorite rack is Rack of Lamb.

You know Terry's wife? What is so special about the rack that she owns and what it used for? I think there is something here I am missing. Maybe it is because English is not my native language. My wife has racks for her clothing, but they don't seem that special to me. My favorite rack is a SaxRax. Is there anything wrong with that?

steen,

Now you've gone and ruined the fun Tammi. This conversation could have gone on for days before he finally caught on.

John

steen,

I'm wierd so Superstar to me means someone has some really good PR people working for them. The more times you get your name up in lights...
Great or legendary usually means they were/are really good, and are now dead, or close to being dead.

My favorite rack is Rack of Lamb.

Speaking of lamb. We had an unfortunate accident with one of our Barbados Blackbelly ewes recently. Looks like Rack of Lamb will be added to my list from above soon enough. :emoji_relaxed:

Now you've gone and ruined the fun Tammi. This conversation could have gone on for days before he finally caught on.

John

Actually I was planning to PM and enlighten him/her.
I know the situation where everone's laughing but me (because I don't get the pun).

Just kiddin'

Sorry, I was just being a goofball. I was waiting for you guys to poke fun back at me. However, my English was OK prior to my rather lengthy stay in the US and before I came here I would have had no clue. For instance, I did not know the expression 'space kadet", which was kindly bestowed upon upon me by a colleague. I find these expressions amusing because they differ between languages, as least the few I know.

Anyway, I agree with Dave's definition. I don't like the 'superstar' thing one bit though.

Last edited:
Speaking of lamb. We had an unfortunate accident with one of our Barbados Blackbelly ewes recently.

"There will never be another Barbados Blackbelly ewe..." In E-flat.

Actually I was planning to PM and enlighten him/her.
I know the situation where everone's laughing but me (because I don't get the pun).
Haha ... I sometimes act dumb and ask "What do you mean? That doesn't make sense" ... I'll go on and on ... It usually ends up with the person embarassed and frustrated then they will say "Nevermind!"

My first reaction was that "Superstar" is a great musical.

But that word as you mean it, to me means a player who has achieved a lot in the business, has used her or his talent wisely, has retained a good image, and has also procured the management smart enough to engender others to be using "Superstar" as an adjective to describe him or her.

Back
Top Bottom