What happened to all of the reed holders?

SOTSDO

Old King Log
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Whilst setting my boy up with a clarinet,I made the discovery that the traditional reed guards offered by Vandorne seem to have disappeared from the market? Did I miss out on something here?

I bet you're referring to one of the old, slab-o-metal, Reedgards. I remember having one for bass clarinet, even.

I did a very brief Google. People were selling "vintage" ones between $20 and $100. Really.

Anyhow, I don't think there are metal ones being produced anymore. There are a bunch of plastic ones, like this one that's under $4 at Wal*Mart. It's still a "Reedgard." However, I might take a shot at the humidity-controlled cases from Rico. They're under $20. Might be a bit too big to fit in some clarinet cases, though. I don't have any direct experience using these, though.

I have used the plastic Rico Reedguards for years. In my view they are superior to the older style aluminum ones that could get bent.

I've got a eight banger of the plastic reed case variety, but it's took big to fit in the pouchette case that I'm giving the boy. I'll have to around in the storage unit and see if I can find my "parts box" to dig out some of the old ones.

It's always something...

Well, I couldn't get to the parts box (too much hard to move all of the furniture in the way in the limited space available in the storage unit), but I rummaged around in all of my horn cases and was able to come up with a four reed case (in my Oehler horn, right next to an eight reed case, no less) that will fit Chris's pouchette case just fine.

A year's supply of VD 2 1/2 reeds, a classic Selmer HS* mouthpiece, and a couple of my clever (if I do say so myself) Reedwrap ligatures, and he's set. It's all dropped into a new hockey helmet, which we are shipping back to him this afternoon.

(When he came up to MO, he forgot to pack hishelmet, so we had to buy a new one. He did a teaching session (up in the wonderful East Alton (IL) municipal rink) with Marvale (who needs to bend his knees a lot more) that had them out on the ice for two whole hours.)

I understand the desire to slim down musical instrument cases. However, the pouchette style is an excellent example of a principle taken way too far. They have reduced the "storage space" in one of those down to enough room for single reed holders and no more. And, since the case in question dates back to the 1970s, it's not some modern trend we're dealing with.

Now, if the case was designed to fit in a Traypac, I could understand. But, it isn't.

(For that matter and while I'm touching on the subject, why haven't we had a Traypac case offered for we baritone players? God knows there's enough room in there, and having a tiny little clarinet case slip sliding around while we're trying to manage the rest of them is no treat.)

(The closest thing that I've see is the B foot flute case slot in the Yamaha baritone cases. I literally blundered into it one day while packing up my kit and accidentally dropping my flute case (at a very low height, to be sure - those things are slippery too). The case snugged down into the cavity (located along the back side of the horn on the left side) as nice as you please, with the bargain benefit that it traps all of the reed boxes into the row of small compartments beneath it.)

(Oddly enough, when I raised this "feature" with the woman at Yamaha, she was completely unaware of it.)

I had the same problem with my Series 9 full Boehm instrument back in the day. Sure, it was small as hell, with sleek contours and all of those other elements of French "style" that have garnered so much attention over the years. But, forget about including anything else.

As a bass clarinet player (something I would have inscribed on my monument stone if only the DVA would allow it - I'm having to settle for SGT 1/10th Cavalry (Armored) instead), I'm adverse to carrying around a "gig bag" in addition to everything else. When I've done West Side Story, I made for first class entertainment, trying to snake a baritone case, bass clarinet case, double clarinet case and tenor case, all down a spiral staircase into the pit. Stacking a gig bag on top of all of that is asking for trouble.

After Stan at Selmer was kind enough to have them remake a double case to fit my odd proportion full Boehm horns, I put the old Bb horn case (which I had had since the early 1960s) into the basement storage area of our home up in IL. When it came time to pack up for the move down to TX, I pulled it out and found it was covered with mold. Sentimental feelings or not, I was still glad that the thing got thrown into the trash, along with the original green interior case from my Conn alto.

Long ago and far away, before Steinway shoved their sticky fingers into the mix, I was turned onto a case maker up in WI by one of the guys at Leblanc. He would make a case (with latches and all, in the classic Leblanc styles) around any rectangular or square shape that you were willing to produce.

With that in mind, I did some shopping for high density polyethylene foam, from which I intended to cut the proper cavities for the horn joints (using a hot wire foam cutting device), slot the joint ends (very important for a proper fit), and then attach appropriate cloth over same, then shipping it up to him for the finishing touches. That would have given me the double extended range bass/full Boehm case that I always wanted (in addition to finally replacing my gradually disintegrating original bass case. Never got around to it, though...another road not taken.

Having designed some homemade multi-cases before two reasons that there aren't such things for a bari come to mind. One, fewer musicians are doublers, at least in the circles I run. And, when you start adding instruments to the bari's case, even if it's on wheels, it gets heavy really fast. So most doublers like me that I know have a cart rather than a case that also brings three instruments to a gig when one will suffice. Mostly though, I think it's about the numbers--not too many people are asking for this.

My Yamaha bari case was a force of nature. IIRC, it had four handles. There was almost enough room in the little curved interior portion of the case near the bell to fit a disassembled clarinet. Almost. However, as Stephen Howard and other folks have indicated, the padding around the "pigtail" at the top of the bari is always a bit thin. I wouldn't have minded a bit taller of a case for more padding, but I'd bet that would have been at least another 10 pounds.

Now that there's more handicapped-accessible places to roll your instrument cart up a ramp, I probably would have gotten a cart for my bari + tenor or bass clarinet + Bb clarinet + music + whatever stands I was using for the performance. Back when I had all those horns -- and sometimes exotica, like a bass sax or contrabass clarinet -- it was, "Ramp? What ramp?"

Back on topic, there are single-reed plastic Reedgards, as well. $5.75 for a two-pack!

Remember the Selmer reed cases? Leather covered with a piece of plexiglass (or real glass) inside? They are still sold...at an exorbitant price...yet, there is a fellow who sells Chinese copied for $12. I have a couple....they beat out the "new" plastic and cheap reed guards.

Remember the Selmer reed cases? Leather covered with a piece of plexiglass (or real glass) inside? They are still sold...at an exorbitant price...yet, there is a fellow who sells Chinese copied for $12. I have a couple....they beat out the "new" plastic and cheap reed guards.
Y'know, I took a look at the Selmer reed case (just linked for pic; prices are cheaper elsewhere) and thought, "It's not going to put even pressure on the entire reed, particularly the tip, so why even bother?" If I was to re-invent the Reedgard, I'd probably put soft rubber or something similar on the end that clamps to the reed's tip.

I have very good luck with the reed cases....I don't know how even the pressure is, but sure helps my reeds dry well (I use it on clarinet and alto)

Yes the old metal ones sucked. I found that reeds warped much more than with any of the plastic models. I don't know if the plastic kind is still sold, but I have a few from decades ago.

old thread ... I have a bunch of the Rico Aluminum Reedgard from Rico and the earlier Roy Maier ones before I assume Rico bought them.
But with the advent of plastic being far cheaper to manufacturer the aluminum ones disappeared due to manufacturing costs.

I also have some really early William Stubbins clear acrylic reedgards.

FYI, I still use my Rico Aluminum Reedgards. I think the modern plastic ones are junk and don't really prevent my reeds from warping as they are not flat and have the grooves. The glass reed holders are nice too.

Back
Top Bottom