Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

What is a Heckelphone

Discussion in 'Heckelphone' started by Steve, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

What is a Heckelphone

what key(s) is it in?
    Does it mock you while playing ?

link with pics please for us uninformed :D

2. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

Re: What is a Hecklephone

I *think* the WF staff is slowly trying to get me to become the exotic double-reeds Content Expert. Strange, because all I know about PLAYING double reeds is that I suck on oboe.

I'll try to post something in a bit. I know a bit about 'em because of my research on the Conn-O-Sax.

3. Steve

Steve Clarinet CE/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

I was actually okay on oboe .. tonal-wise when i tried one eons ago. Just completely unable to navigate the keywork Everytime i think i want one I go to the local store and pick one up and try to spread my fingers and press the keywork .... ain't gonna happen

4. pete

The Heckelphone Celebrates 80 Years
    The Heckelphone Celebrates 100 Years
    A Visit to the Heckel Bassoon Factory
    An Interview of Heckel Staff
    Heckelphone Gathering
    Contrabass.com Article (pics, MP3s, serials)
    A Renaissance for Hecklephone
    MP3 of the Hindemith Heckelphone Trio (sample)
    My old Saxpics.com article on the Conn-O-Sax, which is patterned after the Heckelphone.

==============

=============

I might clean all this up, later. FWIW, several companies including Heckel (obviously), SML, Rampone & Cazzani and Lorée made these horns.

5. pete

6. pete

7. pete

Original Heckelphones from Peter Hurd, of the North American Heckelphone Society.

8. pete

Oh. Looks like Heckelphones were available in both high and low pitch -- at least the original ones. Wouldn't you hate it if you spent a lifetime trying to find one of these $35,000 instruments (that's how much they are, new) and find that you can't play it in your ensemble because it's tuned to A=457hz?

Repairs: http://www.jents.com/repairs-rare.htm

9. pete

10. love to learn

I would love to learn to play the heckelphone! I play the oboe and when i was searcihng them the heckelphone showed up! :-D

11. Groovekiller

Groovekiller Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Wow!
    Pete, that is the most comprehensive answer to a question I've ever seen.

12. SOTSDO

SOTSDO Old King Log Staff Member CE/Moderator

Anything touching no matter how lightly on Richard Wagner requires nothing less.

Too bad we can't get into the bass trumpet and just what actually is a "tuba"...

13. pete

Thanks, Randy. I appreciate that.

14. ... and I thought it to be something that made crow sounds

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  15. Heckelphone

Heckelphone Double Reed CE Staff Member CE/Moderator

A heckelphone in repose

Here's a heckelphone, for anyone unsure of the appearance:

[​IMG]

16. Let's see ... the Heckelphone was developed because Wagner wanted a baritone voice in the wind section. Then someone made a piccolo Heckelphone. The history of musical instrument development in a nutshell. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

17. Heckelphone

Heckelphone Double Reed CE Staff Member CE/Moderator

Heckel's progeny

Yes, the heckelphone was designed to fill Wagner's need for a more robust tenor woodwind voice. The piccolo heckelphone, AFAIK was wholly Heckel's idea: a fairly wide-bore sopranino double reed instrument to drown out the piccolo flute and Eb clarinet :emoji_rage:

The piccolo heckelphone is pitched in F, a fourth above the oboe. There was also a (as in just one) terz heckelphone, pitched in Eb, a minor third above the oboe. Fewer than 20 piccolo heckelphones were made, most of which are now in museums and not played.

A few years ago, Heckel (the company) mentioned that it was considering reintroducing the piccolo heckelphone. The announcement was greeted with quite a bit of interest, although rumor has it that this all subsided rapidly due to the price that was forecast... :???: (equivalent to the full size heckelphone)

18. +1. An impressive tribute to the quality of this forum

J

Our staff's websites: