What is your Clarinet setup ?

Discussion in 'Bb (Soprano) Clarinet' started by Steve, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Merlin

Merlin Content Expert/Moderator Staff Member CE/Moderator

I just recently changed my clarinet setup. Used to play a Vandoren B40/13 with #3 blue box Vandorens.

My B40s were going on 20+ years old, and had both had the facings tweaked a few times.

I moved to a Ron Caravan mouthpiece for a while, as it plays well with the #3 blue box reeds, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Got a new Walter Grabner K13* last week. That piece, with #3.5 V12 Vandorens is exactly what I wish I had 20 years ago! I feel like a real clarinet player again.

2. southernboi3

southernboi3

My setup is.

Leblanc Concerto J.D Hite D mouthpiece, Vandoren 3 1/2 V.12 Reeds

Leblanc Classic II (LL) Vandoren B45 mouthpiece, 3 1/2- 4 V.12 Reeds.

3. TrueTone

TrueTone Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, History

1969 Selmer Series 9
    Either a Vandoren 5RV or the Chicago Kaspar (see the thread on it from earlier this month)
    Vandoren V12 3.5
    Rovner lig

4. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I felt the same way with Grabner's Laurie Bloom mouthpiece on bass clarinet and the contrabass clarinet mouthpiece. Such lovely pieces.

5. TrueTone

Well I'm typically using a Vandoren M15 now, otherwise my Kaspar is still a backup with an uneven facing.

6. Tony Fairbridge

Tony Fairbridge Tony F

I'm playing a somewhat tweaked B & H Imperial with another one as a backup. An E11 in C and a metal Selmer for fun. I also have a Vito plateau clarinet for days when my arthritis is making itself known. I mostly use a Clark Fobes San Fransisco CF+ with Rue Lepic 3's. Among my less frequently played clarinets are a couple of Pustophons, one Boehm and one Oehler, a couple of B & H Edgwares and a 1010, a pre-WW2 Conn, a Leblanc Bass, a Rudolph Eubel Bb, a Louis of London from 1927, a Jerome Thibouville Lamy from around 189X, a pre-R13 Buffet from the 30's plus a motley assortment of others.
    Tony F.

pete and TrueTone like this.
  7. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

I had never heard of that manufacturer, so I Googled: collaboration between PUchner and STOwasser, both companies I had heard of. Pretty cool.

Gandalfe likes this.
  8. Horndoc1

Horndoc1

On my Big Easy Leblanc I alternate between a very old, no nane kard rubber mouthpiece with a nicket silver lay and a Stowell Wells & Schneider B2hard rubber. I previously played an OBrien 4 OCB, however (sob) it fell off a table and is no more. Off and on againworking with a Pomerico jazz facing. Oleg ligature is outstanding! Other ligatures used are Vandoren and Mitchell Lurie. Reeds are Signature cut Legere 2.5 and 3 and Rico Grand Concert Evolution #3. My other clarinet is a Buffet made in 1906, wrap-around octave key and it plays fine. I like the big bores. One of my students is using my 1946 Selmer BT. Anybody seen a Richards Silhouette clarinet? It is a large bore (.591) with distictively shaped leys made of Beryllium nickel. I did guality control work for RMC in 1962 when they closed down the clarinet plant. Only about 40 horns survived. I'd love to find one..

TrueTone, pete and Gandalfe like this.
  9. pete

pete Brassica Oleracea Staff Member Administrator

fuy77h.jpg

10. TrueTone

Well I got my Kaspar back from refacing last week and it most definitely plays well...
    It's my main mouthpiece now. (at least on my Series 9 Bb. It sounds brighter than I want on my K-Series A.)
    Speaking of the Grabners mentioned above, I'm hoping to try one of his bass mpcs when I'm at Clarinetfest later this month... (and hopefully buy it, too. =P )

Steve likes this.