What kind of hypochondriac are you?

Groovekiller

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
OK, sorry. The title was intended to stir up controversy. What I'm really asking is this:

How obsessive are you about instrument repairs? As a repairman, I see three general categories, sometimes with sub categories:

1. The best players in town

A. These people are often very conscientious about keeping their horns in good playing condition. That's how they make their living. Often they have another top quality spare horn for everything they play so I can take my time on complicated repairs. Usually I can make their horns play perfectly in an hour or less.

B. These players have one horn, and they can't leave it. They work every day, and their instrument looks like it. I usually have to put a coating of oil on their rusted springs (Florida air), and there is so much dirt inthe mechanism that I can hear it when I chip it off and it hits the ground (and you think I'm kidding). The horn needed an overhaul 3 years ago, but there's a gig in two hours. I try to isolate the really bad problems and fix them, along with anything that might hang up the player in the immediate future. Actually, this repair is my specialty. A long time ago I found myself where these guys are. I want a great playing saxophone, but I don't have thetime or money to wait for an overhaul. Even today, I don't obsess over my own horn. If it plays well, I leave it alone.

2. The people with more time than they need

A. Some of these people are professional players.

A tiny percentage of them are overly concerned about legitimate issues that can be overcome with practice, not repair, but in all fairness these customers deserve the top quality repairs that they demand, and sometimes a short lesson solves the problem more than the repair.

B. There are those who have genuine equipment problems, like the really good player who is playing on a wooden mouthpiece that has warped, but he insists the 'piece gives him the greatest sound ever - he just can't play in the low register.

3. Beginners, students, and sometimes everyone else
Most of my work involves those players who have basic, simple, mechanical problems or simple maintenanace problems. Perhaps I should have put this subject first. Get the leaks out and fix the mechanical problems and you're done. Most everything else just drives up the price.

Woodwind repairmen tend to be scrupulously honest, although there are glaring exceptions to the rule. Find the guy who fixes horns for the top players in the area and trust him - at least once. If the horn doesn't play up to your expectations, give the repairman a chance to make good. This is not an adversarial transaction, like many other deals. Most repairmen respect players and want to help. Give them a chance to provide their insight.

Locally it's similar in some ways but different in other ways. It's hard to devide it so generally here, but I will try. A lot of decisions are influenced by the bad economy in my country and especially my city (the biggest in the country).

1. Excellent professional soloists, symphony players in one of the top orcrhestras, etc. I include some serious music students in this category.

Usually these players will want specific repairs (plus whatever is necessary) and will go for the best and most reliable repair for playablity. By far most of these players have very good instruments, and take relatively good care of their instruments, so a complete repad/overhaul is rare. When it is required, they will usually save on unimportant things like cosmetics (i.e. key polishing for example, which is extremely rare).

Some excellent professional players (sometimes just as high level as the others) which still do "gigs" like weddings, etc. because they need to make a living (or other reasons). These will usually also want the most reliable repair, minus cosmetics, although definitely more of these players will compromise some repairs, and might prefer to not have every small detail attended to.

2. Professional players. This also includes some music students and possibly some amateur players too.

These are players who aren't in the first category, but are still professional players who make a living from music. Some of these are still very good players, and some aren't as good. The devision is pretty much like the players in the first category, some will go for the best repair and some will choose to compromise where it is not as important, but definitely more people in this category will prefer to leave some problems, especially if they are not "really" affecting the instrument playability.

3. Amateurs, hobbyists, students.

These will usually come only when something is seriously wrong and makes the instrument unplayable, or if their teacher says there is a problem, etc. They will usually choose to fix what's necessary. It's not unusual that these players receive a small playing lesson while they have the instruments repaired, like the person who learned to put the mouthpiece with the reed down :) Occasionally one of these will want the best repair but it is not very often.

The type of players in your (2) doesn't really exist here, or only very few. From reading forums like SOTW it seems that in some countries, more than a few players, of all levels, sometimes invest in especially fancy stuff, like most anything cosmetic, etc. but this is not common here. When this is still the case, it is usually the personality of the person rather than their level of playing that is causing this.

Last edited:
On some level, all technicians of any kind have the same complaints.

I'm a computer tech. You break your computer or anything connected to it and I fix it.

The vast majority of my work requests are in the form of, "My computer is painfully slow. Please fix. I need this done yesterday." This is not a 15-minute fix.

* Abnormal computer slowness is caused by a slow network connection, a hardware problem (generally a failing hard drive when it is a hardware problem) or, most often, YOU. (i.e. The last non-work-related website you went to or that screensaver/toolbar/talking moose that you just had to have.)

* Rarely, if ever, does a computer just "become" slow. There were problems leading up to it. Or you broke it and you're doing some CYA. (I had a person that would drop or otherwise mutilate his computer whenever he was about to miss deadline. Yes, I used ticket logs to prove this.)

In my current position, I support people in about a 90 mile radius. I don't have time to fiddle around. So, here's what I do:

* I pick up the broken computer
* I replace the broken computer with a good -- not outstanding, but good -- spare
* I take the broken computer back to my shop and fix it, if I can
* I bring back the user the fixed computer when I have a chance to get back to that office or, if I couldn't fix the computer, the user gets to keep the spare

Data xfer only occurs after I've fixed the computer. Your important files should be on the server, not your local hard drive.

Now, obviously, if I was running my own shop, I couldn't say, "Here's a spare. If I can't fix it, it's yours," but I could say, "Here's a spare. If I can't fix your horn, I might take your horn in trade value if I can't fix it."

Hey, I've had this happen with cars, so why not saxophones?

Now, I've had a catastrophic failure of my main clarinet before a gig (the octave key snapped off in the middle and needed to be welded/soldered) and I used my back-up student horn while that one was being fixed -- I seem to remember that the shop I took my horn to didn't have any pro spares/demo horns left available -- but "catastrophic failure" doesn't happen that often and most pros should have a spare of some kind. Hey, I have spare tools to fix computers and that's MY livelihood.

I can see that the repair business can be different according to location. It's not actually a surprise. I'm out of my element in my location. I tend to fix what's wrong, nothing else, and I get a lot of requests to do more than what's necessary. I do what the customer wants, though.

Pete, too bad you are 3000 miles away. You'd be my computer tech. I found a good guy, though. A great trombone player, extremely intelligent, whom I've known for 30 years. He quit the music biz for the computer biz about 20 years ago, and he's begun to play music again. A killer jazz player who once played with Bill Chase's rock group.

Maybe I'll be able to replace my old steam-powered computer soon and be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century.

For people I like, I have a sliding rate. For people I know will be a problem -- i.e. those I think will call me at 3am regarding a completely unrelated issue to that which I worked on -- I charge $5000 an hour, 1 hour minimum.

General computer statements:
1. Don't buy HP/Compaq, unless you get the extended "it covers everything, forever" warranty.
2. Don't buy eMachines.
3. The brand spankin' new Intel Core I7 processor was released all of two weeks ago. All other processor prices may come down soon.
4. While Gandalfe may argue, if you have XP, there's no compelling reason to upgrade to Vista.
5. If you're a beginner in the computer world and you haven't bought a Mac, Vista's actually a bit better for you than XP -- but don't upgrade if you don't have it.

Or, actually, please do buy an eMachines computer and get Vista. There are technicians out there that need the work :D.

Aren't the eMachines made in the same Chinese factories as saxophones? :???:
eMachines was purchased by Dell a little while ago. Worst possible purchase. However, I doubt eMachines factories make saxophones. But they might. I'm serious.

eMachines computers are aimed at the bargain-basement home purchase. They are extremely proprietary, even more so than Sony computers in this regard, and if you want to upgrade to a different OS, you'll probably find that the drivers you need don't exist. That's a really bad thing and points to the cheapest possible parts. Which is ... fine, if you want to stay locked into whatever OS you got with the computer and never want to upgrade it or install any peripherals.

(Someone once paid me a LOT of cash to try to convert a couple eMachines computers from Me to 2000. I did it, but they didn't have sound and they needed new network cards.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic - sort of....

I'm either a semi-pro or a dedicated amateur depending on your definition - got a non-musical day gig that pays the bills, but gig 35-40 times a year for a half dozen local bands, and would work more if I had the time.

I've got a main horn and a back-up for alto, tenor & clarinet, and a bari with no back-up. I am obsessive about horn maintenance. The minute I sense something is not right, I'm off to the shop. I also take all my main horns (well, maybe not the clarinet) once a year to Paul Maslin, who is tops in Chicago, for a general check-up. I make an appointment a week in advance, and wait while he checks them out. Usually, it's just a lube job, maybe a minor leak, and probably a new neck cork on at least one horn. Usually not more than an hour's time, and the added fascination of watching him work. Maybe, I'm A.R., but it gives me peace of mind to know that my horns are always in top shape. If I have any doubts about a horn before a gig, I'll always take the back-up along.

I suspect it would be different if it weren't for the day gig....

Saxhound,

If every repair customer were like you, it would be a better world. Your approach to maintenance allows time to to a thorough job and prevents the "emergencies" that occur because of lack of foresight. I have a few customers like you. I give them a break on the price.

I'm very much a "hypochondriac" over my saxes. Even though I'm not a pro and I'm not playing out these days as I've dedicated my play time to the woodshed. I hate when something isn't working great. Screws up my concentration ;) I take every sax I play (tenor and alto) to my tech to my tech once a year or so for a checkup. I have a second horn to play whenever needed. When something isn't right, it goes right away out for repair. Just yesterday, I noticed on my SDA alto a pad (G) not closing all the way. It'll get a look over tomorrow. I love that sax. It has to play perfect each time I blow it.

Part of the reason I do this is so I don't ever blame my horn for whatever crap comes out it :emoji_rolling_eyes:

If you consider that a sax is a machine, like a car is a machine, taking it in for occasional maintenance when you don't have a gig scheduled in the next three hours is a very good thing.

I've also found that most shops are like Groovekiller: if you're a frequent customer, they'll give you a break. Hey, I charge $5000 an hour, one hour minimum for people I think are problem children and $50 an hour, one hour minimum for people I think are decent.

I take every sax I play (tenor and alto) to my tech to my tech once a year or so for a checkup. I have a second horn to play whenever needed. When something isn't right, it goes right away out for repair. <snip>

Part of the reason I do this is so I don't ever blame my horn for whatever crap comes out it :emoji_rolling_eyes:
It's surprising how a malfunctioning horn will change how you play sometimes without you even noticing it. Small leaks come to mind.

Once a year is a good idea, prevents problems before they happen, and can save money in the long run.

I'll be honest. I play almost every day, my reputation depends on my reliability, and I still don't fix my own horns unless they don't play well. The difference is, I have an excellent backup for almost every horn, and if it's absolutely necessary, I can fix my own horns overnight. Pros often neglect their horns because they play so well that they "play through" problems until they become extreme. Others, often symphony players, are under such extreme pressure that they can detect the slightest problem very soon. My attitude is not:

"I have all the answers. I'll tell you what needs to be done."

Instead it's:

"Tell me what you want accomplished. I'll use my capabilities to try to get it accomplished."

I'm very much a "hypochondriac" over my saxes. Even though I'm not a pro and I'm not playing out these days as I've dedicated my play time to the woodshed. I hate when something isn't working great. Screws up my concentration ;) I take every sax I play (tenor and alto) to my tech to my tech once a year or so for a checkup. I have a second horn to play whenever needed. When something isn't right, it goes right away out for repair. Just yesterday, I noticed on my SDA alto a pad (G) not closing all the way. It'll get a look over tomorrow. I love that sax. It has to play perfect each time I blow it.

I can't understand how a pro would be willing to "play through" on a less than perfectly playing horn for any length of time (unless he/she didn't have the cash or time to get it fixed). No other professions would get by and stay competitive with non-working tools at hand. You don't see a pro golfer with a bent putter lasting too long on the tour. Nor a roofer without a spare hammer. Musicians can sometimes have the attitude "it ain't broke until it's really busted". Seems kinda stupid to me.

It isn't as obvious as it may seem. A small leak here a squished felt there and before you know it, most would find the horn unplayable, but you've been adjusting to it all along and playing just fine.

Once a year is a good idea, prevents problems before they happen, and can save money in the long run.

I used to do this religiously when I only had a few horns. Now it has become impossible. So in a perfect world, I would focus only on the ones that get played the most, but even that lately hasn't happened. Me bad. :oops:

I have an excellent backup for almost every horn

That is my situation too. I have backups for all but my bass, and in some cases, backups for my backups. (Hence the no longer annual shop trips. But then they don't get played enough to suffer wear and tear.)

Pros often neglect their horns because they play so well that they "play through" problems until they become extreme.

I do play around and through problems when they arise. Most of the guys I work with are the same way.

Minor leaks...Whatever...I never sweat that kind of stuff. Saxophones, no matter how good they are, or how well you look after them, eventually will leak. Get used to it. Also, I've found since I started using key clamps on my main horns, the leaks have been reduced.

I'm really gentle on my horns though, despite the kind of bands I play in, and I generally never have any real trouble with my saxes. Maybe I'm just lucky?

So I'm not sure I fit into any of the categories of hypochondriac you've identified for us Randy. I go to the tech when I need to. When I can no longer compensate for the leaking, or if there is something that needs to be fixed (eg: a keyguard resoldered like just happened on my tenor), or when a horn needs to have a pad, cork, felt, etc. replaced, or be overhauled/rebuilt/whatever you want to call the process of doing everything on it but refinishing it.

Last edited:
So I'm not sure I fit into any of the categories of hypochondriac you've identified for us Randy. I go to the tech when I need to.
Sounds like you fit into the category that most people are in :)

I can't understand how a pro would be willing to "play through" on a less than perfectly playing horn for any length of time (unless he/she didn't have the cash or time to get it fixed).
That's exactly why. Just because someone is a professional, even at the heighest level, doesn't mean they can afford it all the time. You can never know else is going on in their life that can affect this.

Generally I play two main instruments. I have a backup for one of them, but I've never had to use it. I guess I know I will pretty much always be able to find out what a problem is, when the instrument doesn't work, and be able to improvise a solution.

I can't understand how a pro would be willing to "play through" on a less than perfectly playing horn for any length of time (unless he/she didn't have the cash or time to get it fixed). No other professions would get by and stay competitive with non-working tools at hand. You don't see a pro golfer with a bent putter lasting too long on the tour. Nor a roofer without a spare hammer. Musicians can sometimes have the attitude "it ain't broke until it's really busted". Seems kinda stupid to me.

Sometimes I can't understand it either. Occasionally I get a horn from a truly great player that is in incredibly bad shape. I can only report what I see.

True confession:
On my own tenor sax, the one I use almost all of the time, I recently noticed a big rip in the side Bb pad, but the horn played very well. Maybe the edge of the leather still covered the tone hole. Anyway, I played the saxophone in that condition for almost a month before I changed the pad. When I did, the horn played a little bit better. I have a feeling that within a short time, there would have been real problems. When I finally addressed the problem, I changed 6 pads. A lot of excellent players would have waited until the horn really sucked big time.

As I do my instruments myself, I address problems when they become apparent. I practice daily and feel immediately when something's going out of whack.
I've only brought an instrument once for an overhaul, and wasn't impressed, considering the amount I paid.

Back
Top Bottom