What mouthpiece sounds close to this?

mouthpiece material is not important. I can get a great sound out of a Yamaha 5c on bari which is plastic, and I generally prefer that over my Selmer S90 which costs about 5 times as much.
the 5m 6m 7m thing is personal preference and will take more of you establishing your sound than anything. It all matters how much you're willing to spend. The Fobes debut is an incredible mouthpiece for the price, and the 4c is quite good as well. You'll likely end up with a meyer type at some point down the line anyway. If you get the meyer now, especially a refaced one, i.e. mojo, philltone or kessler, then you can't attribute and fault in your playing to the mouthpiece, which is always a good thing.

I enjoyed hearing you play that short excerpt. You are on your way to developing a nice sound. If I read your post correctly you have been playing a total of about 2 weeks now. If that is the case you are making good progress for such a new player. I think that we more experienced players can easily overload new students to the instrument with way too much information since we forgot what it was like at the beginning for us.

Here are my simple tips and suggestions for now.

-Don't get obsessed with professional mouthpieces just yet. You need to get rid of the Cecilio and at least move to a Yamaha 4C, or a Fobes Debut $20.00/$36.00 respectively on WWBW.com.

-Get used to a 2 1/2 reed as soon as possible.

-Practice long tones on the mouthpiece and neck adjusting the embouchure to produce an Ab concert pitch.

-Practice long tones on the saxophone using the same embouchure pressure.

That "sexy" detective theme sound that you like on alto is partly achieved by putting the mouthpiece a bit farther on the neck and then playing lower on the pitch of the mouthpiece. This takes a very well developed embouchure to accomplish with control and endurance. Hitting the "target" of Ab concert on the mouthpiece and neck is a good place to start. Remember there are no shortcuts to what you are trying to achieve. The results will come with regular focused practice sessions every day. Perhaps the very best investment you could make at this time would be to take some lessons from an accomplished player and teacher who could give you the correct concepts to get you started in the right direction. Good luck.

Thanks for the great tips! yes I started 2 weeks ago as soon as it came in the mail. I spend at least 2-3 hours a day (except on fri,sat,sun)

Yea its a Cecilio brand alto sax and being a college student its what I could afford. The best I could do is get a good reed and mouthpiece to help it. That's why I don't mind tossing 80 bucks for a mouthpiece.

I'm going to order some more reeds once I find out the difference between the rico orange and blue box . box of 3 = 1.5 , 2.5 and 3 just to mess around with.

when I first got the sax I just used the neck to produce a sound which took 2 days, once I got a sound I went and placed it to the sax.

When you say farther on the neck, how much farther away are we talking about?

Once again thanks jbt!

mouthpiece material is not important. I can get a great sound out of a Yamaha 5c on bari which is plastic, and I generally prefer that over my Selmer S90 which costs about 5 times as much.
the 5m 6m 7m thing is personal preference and will take more of you establishing your sound than anything. It all matters how much you're willing to spend. The Fobes debut is an incredible mouthpiece for the price, and the 4c is quite good as well. You'll likely end up with a meyer type at some point down the line anyway. If you get the meyer now, especially a refaced one, i.e. mojo, philltone or kessler, then you can't attribute and fault in your playing to the mouthpiece, which is always a good thing.

so the higher m size the harder it is to produce the sound? is that correct? (similar to reed? start with 2 and work on up? )

If i were to purchase the mojo meyer, does it only come in one size/type?

I am determine to get good, I do practice nearly every day for 2-3 hours. I just want a good reed/and mouthpiece :)

ignore the mouthpiece farther on the neck. That's for much much later. With the tuner focus on getting a concert A out of the just the mouthpiece. the all the way in lipped down thing is specific technique once you get really good

The mouthpiece mojo has on his site is for one particular mouthpiece. He doesn't make them, but refinishes them to what they were supposed to be originally. His will have a bit more of a kick than the normal Meyers due to the baffle. The kessler's and Phil Tones are brand new mouthpieces that are mass produced then hand finished. Mojo's is used, but altered to play really well. His is currently opened up to about .80. So what started as a 5m is now a 7m that roars. Up to you, 5m is really closed, I usually recommend 6m's to my students and our lead alto player uses a 6m...

ignore the mouthpiece farther on the neck. That's for much much later. With the tuner focus on getting a concert A out of the just the mouthpiece. the all the way in lipped down thing is specific technique once you get really good

The mouthpiece mojo has on his site is for one particular mouthpiece. He doesn't make them, but refinishes them to what they were supposed to be originally. His will have a bit more of a kick than the normal Meyers due to the baffle. The kessler's and Phil Tones are brand new mouthpieces that are mass produced then hand finished. Mojo's is used, but altered to play really well. His is currently opened up to about .80. So what started as a 5m is now a 7m that roars. Up to you, 5m is really closed, I usually recommend 6m's to my students and our lead alto player uses a 6m...

roger that.

is this a good mouthpiece you recommend??
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Meyer Rubber 6M Alto Saxophone Mouthpiece[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 6M [/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] 0.076 [/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] MR-402-6MM [/FONT]​
http://www.saxplus.com/meyer.html

no.
that's the mouthpiece, but the mouthpieces sent out from the manufacturer are generally junk. They are really hit or miss and there's no way to tell if they're good other than playing them.
http://kesslermusic.com/html/mps/altomps.htm
If you go there, and can afford their pro jazz model, then go for it. Get the NYSS.
If not, I'd go for the Intermediate jazz model. It's a weird rubber/plastic blend, but it's still a great mouthpiece.

Back then I think Tom was playing a VI alto. It sounds a bit like a Meyer and a VI to me. A rather magical combination in the right hands. :)

A Vi definitely, but I don't hear a Meyer sound there. He used a Strathon on tenor, and I'd say that's what he's using on alto too.

Hold on there partner. I didn't realize that you'd only being playing for 2 weeks.

I think it's great that you've got a tonal concept already. In other words, you've got an idea of what it is you want your tone to be like. And I totally agree with Martinmod's assessment of your tone in only 2 weeks, however, playing saxophone is not easy. There is as old saying that is very much true: Saxophone is an easy instrument to play, badly.

There really are not short cuts. It takes years of studying, practicing, repetition, and patience to get the consistent sound and technique like the pros have.

There has been tons of info given here around mouthpieces and reeds. I think this all needs to be dialed down to the basics. At this point in your playing career, you do not need a professional level mouthpiece, and you do not need super expensive reeds. A Rico Graftonite mouthpiece or a Yamaha 4C or there abouts will be a fine choice. These mouthpieces are extremely easy to blow, and will allow you to develop your embouchure first. You've got lots of work to do there, as does any player just starting out.

With regards to reeds, you could use the Orange box Ricos in eithr 2 or 2.5, or, you could use a Rico Royal. Either will be fine. No need to go any more expensive. I do have my students use the Fibracell 2.5 reeds because in the long run it saves them (their parents actually) quite a bit of money, but that choice is yours.

So, to sum up here are the main points for anyone starting out:

1. Get a decent mouthpiece. Graftonite or Yamaha will do nicely.
  2. Get some decent 2 or 2.5 reeds. Rico orange box are OK for the job.
  3. Have you horn checked over to make sure that it isn't leaking, or doesn't need anything else. Even new horns need to be set up when you first get them. This is especially true if you get it through an online source. Get it fixed up if necessary after your tech tells you what it needs. Nothing is harder to learn on than a horn that is leaking, or needs some other small work. That small thing can lead to hours of frustration.
  4. Take some lessons with a good teacher to help get you going, and make sure that you don't develop any bad habits, and to correct the ones you have developed, before they become too engrained.
  5. Be patient with yourself. This is an endurance race, not a sprint. It will take time to play the saxophone like the pros you hear. They've been playing a lifetime to sound like they do.
  6. Recognize that sometimes what you hear on recordings is also added in the studio, and a player's real sound is different than what you hear. Processing and effects can do a lot to alter a saxophone's sound.

2 weeks? Good catch Helen.

The one key thing to remember is reading about technique online is a good thing. But being able to interpret what is meant and how to do it is another.
Experience will allow that, until then one's interpretations may not actually be correct.

Developing a good embouchure and air stream requires some good training and time. For example, one major mistake players do is to bite too much. This can create jaw problems and muscle cramps much less affect your tone. It may also cause you to bleed a bit if your teeth cut your underside of your lip area ...... thus some good professional training at the start is a great way (as Helen suggests) to get started.

Learn to do it the right way at first. Of course, lessons may be expensive but you don't have to take them each week, once a month would be good and as long as you want with more specific technique lessons from time to time.

Good luck

on the lessons there are a lot of guys that do lessons via skype. Tim Price is one, and there are a few others whose names are escaping me at the moment... That may be an alternative if there isn't a good teacher in your area. A lot of times if there is a local ish college, you can go talk to their sax professor and he can put you in touch with a sax playing music ed student. A lot of times lessons are cheaper because they're gaining as much out of it as you are, and in the basic stages of stuff, if they're in college for music ed they won't steer you all that wrong...

That being said there are a lot of idiot band directors out there that make wacky accusations about sax stuff, i.e. rico's are terrible *tell that to all of the professional artists using them... Tim Price uses orange box on some of his mouthpieces* or metal mouthpieces are only for jazz *tell that to my Goldbeck*, or my favorite *you need a Selmer or a Yamaha, everything else is crap* tell that to my Barone that outplays most instruments 3-4 times it's cost. This website is great to talk to real players who aren't giving you advice for money, and have learned the hard way about purchasing certain products.

Oh, so for the 2 weeks in thing. The Kessler student model and Fobes Debut are great mouthpieces as well. I prefer the 4c over the Rico mouthpiece... And Rico Orange box 2's if you have a bigger tip i.e. the Kessler NY, or 2.5's for the others.
On Steve's biting comment. This often comes from reeds that are too thick. You'll move up slowly on your own as your embouchure becomes stronger, but don't jump too fast.

I agree completely with Helen that advice for any beginning student needs to be "dialed down" to the basics. One of tenets of good teaching is to begin where the student is.

That said I also strongly believe that the basics of tone production, articulation, and technical mastery should be well developed BEFORE a student embarks on becoming a jazz, rock, new age, soul, rhythm and blues or "whatever style" player. Good playing fundamentals are the same regardless of the style a student of the instrument chooses to pursue. This means to learn to play with a "legit" or classical sound from the beginning.

This does not mean to play only the "boring exercises" from the method books for the first several years, but to use those methods as the foundation and work on songs and solos as well. Simply put I believe one needs to be a student of the instrument first, and then later a student of the musical style(s).

As a former band director, I think a blanket indictment of band teachers because of the misguided advice of a few is patently unfair. I know that by and large the music educators in my state are very well trained in the pedagogy and recommended equipment of all the band instruments they teach---even those that are not their major instrument. I too had some very good band teachers growing up and a few that were not so good. I learned a lot from both types and today I am grateful for all of them.

Awesome stuff guys I really appreciate it!

Yea every time I get time practicing my lower lip gets swore from my bottom teeth. Reason why I bite down more is because I can't hit the very low notes mainly D D# notes, They would swing to a octave note which drives me crazy (making me want to see a teacher) and if I play octave D# it throws me a different pitch sometimes. Other errors I get is a very high squeak noise and to much air noise coming out the bow which I don't know if that's normal or not.

If Yamaha mouthpiece is (easier) to play with than I'll go for it.
What mouthpeice and reed can we all agree is the best I can get for a starter? With my budget I don't want to go over 100 bucks. Also is it bad to start with a 1.5 reed? I'm on a 2 right now.

Once again thanks guys!

...... Yea every time I get time practicing my lower lip gets swore from my bottom teeth. Reason why I bite down more is because I can't hit the very low notes mainly D D# notes, They would swing to a octave note which drives me crazy (making me want to see a teacher) and if I play octave D# it throws me a different pitch sometimes. Other errors I get is a very high squeak noise and to much air noise coming out the bow which I don't know if that's normal or not. ......
jrock,
just from your statements there I would say you need to first go to a teacher and they will set you straight on mpc, reed, embouchure etc rather than taking notes from us and maybe not implementing them properly.

also, i believe someone recommended you take the instrument into a tech to let they have a look at it to make sure all is well, so that it doesn't interfere with your learning.

just these two things can save you alot of headaches and many months of undoing things you try on your own.

Last edited:
...I also strongly believe that the basics of tone production, articulation, and technical mastery should be well developed BEFORE a student embarks on becoming a jazz, rock, new age, soul, rhythm and blues or "whatever style" player. Good playing fundamentals are the same regardless of the style a student of the instrument chooses to pursue. This means to learn to play with a "legit" or classical sound from the beginning.

This does not mean to play only the "boring exercises" from the method books for the first several years, but to use those methods as the foundation and work on songs and solos as well. Simply put I believe one needs to be a student of the instrument first, and then later a student of the musical style(s).

Thank you jbtsax. That is something that is so easily and often forgotten. I really believe that this focus on the fundamentals is really missing nowadays. That's why finding a good teacher is so important. Having an experienced instructor will help a player progress much more rapidly, and develop good technique, than floundering for years with only the guidance of well intentioned persons on forums who don't have the benefit of seeing what it is that the person is doing, or hearing the true sound emanating from the horn.

Hold on there partner. I didn't realize that you'd only being playing for 2 weeks.

I think it's great that you've got a tonal concept already. In other words, you've got an idea of what it is you want your tone to be like. And I totally agree with Martinmod's assessment of your tone in only 2 weeks, however, playing saxophone is not easy. There is as old saying that is very much true: Saxophone is an easy instrument to play, badly.

There really are not short cuts. It takes years of studying, practicing, repetition, and patience to get the consistent sound and technique like the pros have.

There has been tons of info given here around mouthpieces and reeds. I think this all needs to be dialed down to the basics. At this point in your playing career, you do not need a professional level mouthpiece, and you do not need super expensive reeds. A Rico Graftonite mouthpiece or a Yamaha 4C or there abouts will be a fine choice. These mouthpieces are extremely easy to blow, and will allow you to develop your embouchure first. You've got lots of work to do there, as does any player just starting out.

With regards to reeds, you could use the Orange box Ricos in eithr 2 or 2.5, or, you could use a Rico Royal. Either will be fine. No need to go any more expensive. I do have my students use the Fibracell 2.5 reeds because in the long run it saves them (their parents actually) quite a bit of money, but that choice is yours.

So, to sum up here are the main points for anyone starting out:

1. Get a decent mouthpiece. Graftonite or Yamaha will do nicely.
  2. Get some decent 2 or 2.5 reeds. Rico orange box are OK for the job.
  3. Have you horn checked over to make sure that it isn't leaking, or doesn't need anything else. Even new horns need to be set up when you first get them. This is especially true if you get it through an online source. Get it fixed up if necessary after your tech tells you what it needs. Nothing is harder to learn on than a horn that is leaking, or needs some other small work. That small thing can lead to hours of frustration.
  4. Take some lessons with a good teacher to help get you going, and make sure that you don't develop any bad habits, and to correct the ones you have developed, before they become too engrained.
  5. Be patient with yourself. This is an endurance race, not a sprint. It will take time to play the saxophone like the pros you hear. They've been playing a lifetime to sound like they do.
  6. Recognize that sometimes what you hear on recordings is also added in the studio, and a player's real sound is different than what you hear. Processing and effects can do a lot to alter a saxophone's sound.

So your saying there are mouthpiece that are easy to blow in to for starters?

if so is this the best thing to get?
http://www.amazon.com/Saxophone-Mouthpiece-Yamaha-Standard-Plastic/dp/B0002F7AQ0

I want to get the best starter that will sound good and last for few years.

And for reed is rico the best to start? if so I still don't know whats the difference between the orange box or the blue box haha

So your saying there are mouthpiece that are easy to blow in to for starters?

if so is this the best thing to get?
http://www.amazon.com/Saxophone-Mouthpiece-Yamaha-Standard-Plastic/dp/B0002F7AQ0

I want to get the best starter that will sound good and last for few years.

And for reed is rico the best to start? if so I still don't know whats the difference between the orange box or the blue box haha

Get a Hite Premiere, or a Fobes Debut, or a Behn Ouverture. They're very well made and will last you a long time (still use mine after all these years). The Yamaha isn't all that bad, but "mine" are better. :cool:
For reeds, try Rico Orange (not the blue Rico Royals) or Selmer Primos (which in turn are made by Gonzalez), or Hemkes. But reeds are a very personal choice, there's no shortcut past experimenting a bit and finding "yours".

I should add that I didn't mean to just throw some names into the discussion and then be done with it.

These mouthpieces are all in the same price range as your Yamaha, but I found them to be a notch better.

Aw, just grab the Fobes and be done with it. It's a good 'un. Your teacher will agree with me. (hint, hint)

I should add that I didn't mean to just throw some names into the discussion and then be done with it.

These mouthpieces are all in the same price range as your Yamaha, but I found them to be a notch better.

Aw, just grab the Fobes and be done with it. It's a good 'un. Your teacher will agree with me. (hint, hint)

but is it as easy to play as the Yamaha? I really want the easiest to start with.
also I want to start with a jazz type piece than a classical piece. If that's possible.

What about the
Student Classical & Jazz Model on the http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/mps/altomps.htm
that was mentioned?

but is it as easy to play as the Yamaha? I really want the easiest to start with.
also I want to start with a jazz type piece than a classical piece. If that's possible.
I own all the Yamaha, Fobes, Hite and Behn pieces. The easiest ones are the Fobes, the Hite and the Behn (in that order, but they are very very close), and the jazziest is the Hite. I suggest you get the Fobes or the Hite. Now toss a coin. :)

Back
Top Bottom