What the heck?

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I contacted the local concert band in the city I just moved to today about coming out and playing bassoon. Pop. 30,000. Rehearsal is tonite.

I was told not to come tonite. Next week.

I'm working next week.

I'm put off by that. If you have someone saying they'd like to come out and play bassoon in your community band, your best response is to say YES PLEASE!

Harumph.

Reactions: Ed
Local bands usually beg for players. I been asked numerous times to set in.
I'd be put off as well ! Maybe they don't like double reed players ! =)

I'm surprised by that as well. Bassoon and Contrabass clarinet are things that people normally kill for to join their band.

I wonder if they already have three bassoonists? Or, if like my band, we lost our practice facility for this week unannounced! Now the day before practice we are scrambling to find an alternate practice location for a 60 piece concert band! :cry:

I wonder if they already have three bassoonists? Or, if like my band, we lost our practice facility for this week unannounced! Now the day before practice we are scrambling to find an alternate practice location for a 60 piece concert band! :cry:

Nope. The current band photo shows no bassoons.

I get a brass player vibe from the guy I've been corresponding with.

Maybe it's a Stratford thing? Miss TO yet?

Rory

ps. Does this mean you're not at Cosmo anymore. I was in Newmarket 2 weeks ago and almost stopped in for a visit.

Maybe it's a Stratford thing? Miss TO yet?

Rory

ps. Does this mean you're not at Cosmo anymore. I was in Newmarket 2 weeks ago and almost stopped in for a visit.

That's right. Made the move to Stratford for at least a year. Hoping for it to be a permanent thing.

Nope. The current band photo shows no bassoons.

I get a brass player vibe from the guy I've been corresponding with.
I normally give brass players a hard time but I actually do play with a great guy who happens to play trumpet in a big band.

You'll probably get there and wish you had brought your bari sax!

So, finally went to rehearsal tonite.

The guy I was emailing did turn out to be a brasshole...a trombonist. He failed to tell me they were doing a gig this Saturday in which they were playing some pop charts and then doing small ensemble stuff. They ran through the four charts in the first half hour, broke for announcements and then split up into small groups.

I was not greeted by anyone on the band executive, or introduced to the band, nor did I have my name and number taken as a prospective member.

Maybe they figure since they're the only game in town they don't have to try harder?

I'm surprised by the behavior of the folks in the band. If someone sits down next to me that I don't know I'll ask them some questions and talk to them.

I'm surprised by the behavior of the folks in the band. If someone sits down next to me that I don't know I'll ask them some questions and talk to them.

You'd that would be the nice thing to do. I ran into a similar situation when I was in Guelph concert band. All the saxophone players but 1 (there were 7 of us) were rude to me. And they made me play 2 tenor in both the concert band the big band even though I was CLEARLY the strongest player.

I have felt the cold shoulder when first sitting in with these community groups. I've found that many of the old timers are fearful of giving up their seat, so I go out of my way to show I'm not there to take over. Even if they stink up the joint. =)

Makes no sense for them to act like that. Usually, the main reason to sit in with these types of groups is to have MORE people to make music with. You would think they would at least act like they're happy to have you ! That's so crazy !

You'd that would be the nice thing to do. I ran into a similar situation when I was in Guelph concert band. All the saxophone players but 1 (there were 7 of us) were rude to me. And they made me play 2 tenor in both the concert band the big band even though I was CLEARLY the strongest player.

I couldn't care less about who's playing what chair.

I just moved to a new town, have no friends here, and just want a place to go keep my chops up and then hang out for a beer afterwards.

The nicest people I've met in a band are part of a New Horizons band that I subbed for a couple of times. The music was pretty easy for me but most of these folks are coming back to playing after 40 years off. They were all without exception very nice. One of the other sax players complemented me on my tone (good thing too since I rather like my tone :-D ) and was convinced it was because I was playing a Mark VI. The next week I showed up with my 400 TH&C just to show that the horn didn't matter.

They do concerts at retirement communities and other similar type venues. It's always nice to give something back so I make the time to join them if asked.

I guess the moral of my rambling is to search out older people who will appreciate you showing up.

Tough to do in a town of 30,000.
I'm pretty fortunate. I relocated to a town of 18,000 and it has an orchestra and a community band. Both have pretty decent numbers and the orchestra's conductor is a gentleman and a diplomat.

I have felt the cold shoulder when first sitting in with these community groups. I've found that many of the old timers are fearful of giving up their seat, so I go out of my way to show I'm not there to take over. Even if they stink up the joint. =)

Makes no sense for them to act like that. Usually, the main reason to sit in with these types of groups is to have MORE people to make music with. You would think they would at least act like they're happy to have you ! That's so crazy !
I've found that hitting one of their performances before joining can be helpful. I find out what they do not have in their instrumentation and show up at the next rehearsal with said missing instrument. After establishing myself as a competent musician who is pretty easy to get along with I chat up the section I'd prefer to be sitting in.

This gives you the chance to find out who the insecure individuals are and make sure you don't threaten their position within the ensemble. I started within the orchestra on timpani and am now principal clarinet - the chair I wanted.

In the band I showed up with my tenor sax. I was asked to play timpani after the first concert with them and moved for the rest of the season. (Some of the brass players who also played in the orchestra snitched that I was a timpanist :emoji_rolling_eyes:) That summer we started up a big band from scratch. I was asked to play lead tenor, but quickly found out that a serious monster tenor player had been playing trumpet in the concert band. I am now 2nd tenor (My improv skills aren't even good enough to laugh at, generally speaking) - for the moment (may move to alto). Meanwhile I got a gig as the tenor player for a local show and when I came to the first rehearsal and had all the instruments called for in the book and then played all the parts at a fairly high level a few shocked looks came my way. They generally used 3 players if there were 3 instruments in a book.

Cut to the chase - 3 years later I am the stage manager and solo/1st clarinet in the concert band. Not the chair I wanted in the beginning, but the 1st alto is very territorial (and weak) so I am not interested in disturbing her. As it turns out the clarinet book is far more interesting and challenging.

It has been an interesting ride so far.:)

Last edited:
I couldn't care less about who's playing what chair.

I just moved to a new town, have no friends here, and just want a place to go keep my chops up and then hang out for a beer afterwards.

Oh Merlin, you are WAY too much fun to hang out with. Trust me, you'll make friends in no time.

Back
Top Bottom