What's more ridiculous... $400 for a mouthpiece or a handbag?

$400 mouthpiece or a handbag?

• $400 mouthpiece

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • $400 handbag

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Both

• Neither

• Soprano saxes rule.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Pete shouldn't be allowed to play with poll results.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
Okay, so... yesterday, my S.O. comes home from her big shopping day in NYC with a new leather Kate Spade hand bag. I reluctantly ask how much was it. Four hundred something something (my mind went blank after the the number 4). At least it was on sale :emoji_rolling_eyes: Hey, it's her money and she works hard for it. So that's fine by me.

Now, I (and many of you I'm sure) have spent that much on mouthpieces and such. Even when we might of thought a $100 (or less) piece would do. It begs to question, which is more ridiculous?

It begs to question, which is more ridiculous?

Impossible to answer. After all, neither is something we couldn't possibly do without. It's kind of a reward for, uhm, well, behaving, getting up for work, what do I know.

I like to think that in a relationship these little acquisitions serve yet another purpose: pre-emptive compensation ("I know you'll sooner or later get yet another of those silly siphon things, so I bought this handbag, now we're even."), late justice ("when you bought that handbag back then I thought I might as well buy a new sax. As you say yourself, one cannot ever have enough of them.") or something in between.

If all justification fails - you're supporting the economy. ;-)

(I didn't answer the poll - I was missing the "who cares in 200 years" option)

(Edit: either is silly. A potato sack or a student mouthpiece serve the same purpose. Not with so much style, agreed)

Last edited:
I'm not sure where I come down on this issue. I would be hard pressed to spend $400 on a mouthpiece.

I've been thinking about a new watch. It's expensive. Haven't pulled the trigger. Asked various people what they thought would be a lot to spend on a watch. The standard answer was between $100 and $200. One of my friends said his upper limit was $1000. They all tell time but some are better crafted than others and some have a high end name attached to them. I suspect it's the same thing with the purse.

Here's another way to look at it. Hardly anyone knows that I'm playing a Selmer Mark VI in the audience. To them I'm just playing a saxophone. A Yamaha 23 would appear to be the same thing to most people. But it matters to us. It's our quest for the sound we want and these days playing a VI has a bit of a vanity aspect to it.

So I guess I don't really mind $400 for a purse. I'm just thankful it's not my wife buying one. :emoji_relaxed:

It's also a leading question, primarily because the percentage of female to male posters on this forum is low. Higher than some places, but still pretty low.

Although Helen has the ability to play with poll results, IIRC ....

To an extent, it's a question of, "How much is too much to spend on your hobby?" I'm sure some folks would consider shopping a hobby, just as many people would say that playing an instrument is.

That's an unanswerable question. Collecting airplanes costs a lot more than collecting leaves.

Now, if the question is, "How much is too much to spend on something that will help you keep or maintain your job?", that's something different. Hey, my wife thought I spent too much on computer toys until she found out a) how much I got for selling saxpics.com b) how many calendars I sold last year (130-odd) and c) that me buying the toys for "business use" would be tax-deductible. And she'd let me buy a new outfit for an interview -- and I'd go to an interview if they were offering $20K more than what I'm making now.

So it all evens out.

I don't *think* any $400 mouthpiece is worth it, but I have no problems with someone trying to convince me that they are. Let's see. A Selmer Soloist is $130. Is your mouthpiece almost 3x as good as the Soloist? If so, I could see spending the $400 ....

At least I can resell the mouthpiece most times for I bought it for. Sometimes more. The handbag has to worse than a new car off just off the lot. Fashion isn't a hobby. It's a compulsion. Or is that the mouthpiece. I'm confused ?

You're right Dave. It's both :emoji_smile:

I suppose it comes down to WANT vs. NEED. I for one do not need (nor do I want) a $400.00 mouthpiece. I am perfectly happy with my Super Sessions and Morgan Vintage pieces on soprano, Meyer 6S-M on alto, and Vandorens on clarinet. None of those are $400.00 pieces.

I don't carry a purse, but my wife does. She has some designer accessories and as long as we can afford that kind of thing, she WANTS them. I pay.

As far as watches goes, that's where my WANT far exceeds my NEED. Ed, don't ask me what is reasonable for a watch. I LOVE high-end watches . . . $100 to $200 doesn't even pay for the periodic overhauls required by automatic (self-winder) watches. I pay. DAVE

*CHOKE*

I refuse to pay that much for a mpc and there's no way in the world that I would spend that much on a purse. That's 3 weeks worth of groceries.

But if you have the extra cash, and that's what you REALLY want, then I really can't say anything bad.

But I will admit to spending more on Wedding flowers. :cry: Daughters are worth it.....Right?

As far as watches goes, that's where my WANT far exceeds my NEED. Ed, don't ask me what is reasonable for a watch. I LOVE high-end watches . . . $100 to $200 doesn't even pay for the periodic overhauls required by automatic (self-winder) watches. I pay. DAVE

I try and get my automatics in about every five years. Right now I have a gold plated Omega Seamaster at the watchmaker. I have a number of vintage watches as well as a fair number of reasonably priced dive watches. I have a desire for a new Omega but I'm not sure the finance committee would approve of the purchase. I've also had my eye on a Seiko Grand Seiko as well as the Marine Master from Seiko with the new spring drive movement. I'd have to purchase from someone in Japan since Seiko doesn't import those here (all the really good stuff doesn't make it to the U.S.)

Let's see a picture of this daughter and I'll let you know. :p

Oh...BOT, the answer is BOTH.

Do you remember the avatar I had on SOTW with the young lady holding the lamb?
It's THAT daughter. :p I can post the photo if you want.
But this is tj's thread. I don't want to hijack it too much.

Sounds like an avatar for Tammi.

I've got mouthpieces in that price range, but those are tools for employment.

What do you do that requires a $400 purse?:???:

Can I be honest Tammi?

What's that dweeb doing with that FINE example of the feminine kind? :emoji_relaxed:
What beautiful eyes she has!

He better take care of her properly or I'll kick his......you know.....

BTW, she's worth spending the coin.

Last edited:
It amazes me that I had anything to do with her creation.

Cody treats her very well. He's a good man, and her Dad likes him.

So what are his bad habits?

I fessed up to the future inlaws. I gave up racing, and eventually caffeine, but still doing music.

Ed: I prolly shoulda read this post before I answered your PM. Anyway, I never understood the dive-watch thing. I've never dove anywhere in my life and don't intend to do so now. Oh, I like the look of "dive watches" but still . . . DAVE

Back
Top Bottom