What's on your "Listening Plate"?

If you're like me, there's never enough stuff I can listen to or have enough time to hear it all. I'm an iTunes downloading nut and I put many titles on what I call my "listening plate". My interest as of late has been on classical clarinet and funk alto sax. So, my plate is now full with Sabine Meyer (Mozart, Debussy and Takemitsu clarinet concertos), Hank Crawford (Mr Chips and Wildflower), and Maceo Parker (Roots & Grooves and Funkoverload). I'd be interested in what you're on tap for. Fill your plate and help me keep mine filled.

Recently bought an Alan Parson's compilation (reminds me of my misspent youth), then some Byrds (same), I downloaded an Ozark Mountain Daredevil's song, "The Red Plum" (don't ask), then there's Emma Johnson's "Encore 2" plus our band's winter concert repertoire I had to get into my ears. Then I discovered Arno's "oh la la la!" (Pop meets Klez, with clarinet), Bateau Ivre (local songwriter stuff re-arranged into Tango), Hazmat Modine and some Klez for Wind band. Did I mention Kol Simcha, or Shostakovich?

Yes! Hazmat Modine!

I have a small (4GB) ipod that I play in the office and on the road. On the road, I mainly listen to podcasts (mainly science, and podcast fiction like "The Takeover", a comedy about a company taken over by Zombinc, where one must become a zombie in order to advance). In the office, I use a playlist that runs through all the classical music on my computer (it picks a random chunk of the least-recently-played). Right now, it's Harnoncourt playing the Bach cello suites, followed by the disc "Back from Oblivion" by Nick Byrne (a whole disc of ophicleide :emoji_astonished:).

Late in the day, I switch to a jazz list (which works the same way).

Last few CDs added:
  • Susan Nigro "Original Music for the Big Bassoon" (works written for contrabassoon +/- piano)
  • "Rain Largo" by Ann Lindquist (2008 Glisten Publishing) is a quiet, "new age" CD, with an emphasis on lower flutes. A number of the tracks feature bass and/or contrabass flutes. One also has a bass koto. One track also includes Nancy Rumbel on oboe.
  • "The Stroke of Twelve" by the Los Angeles Flute Orchestra (2005 Los Angeles Flute Orchestra) is more modern classical/jazz compositions, by a group of 12 flutists who range from piccolo to subcontrabass flutes. It includes part of Vinny Golia's "Twelve of Seven".
The first I ordered through Amazon. The latter two I ordered via CDBaby, which has a lot of good independent music.

Enjoy,

Grant

I just got an mp3 player recently. I'd been putting off the purchase for ages, but finally found a 4G Sony that does me nicely.

Currently I have a lot of Jimmie Lunceford, Fletcher Henderson and Count Basie on it, as I'm transcribing arrangement from those bands.

I also have Donald Fagen's first two solo albums. I never seem to tire of those.

For Christmas my father gave me a CD of Hypothetically Murdered Orchestral Suite Op. 31a Shostakovich, 1934. I can't wait to give it a listen!

On teh subject of new MP3 players, teh best suggestion I could give you is to get a subscription to Rhapsody. Why? Unlimited downloads. Monthly subscription.

Or find free stuff.

I've got a 20gb player. That's a lot of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom