What's Wrong With This Page?

I think this calls for W T F!!??!!

Low A VII? Really?

mine hits low A ... of course I use my foot or knee for that .... :)
Standard issue item really. I did a recording session with a low A clearly and prominently in the tenor part. So I did what any sax player would do playing in to a mic in a quiet room, I took off my shoes and played a low A. Maybe selmer put a shoe holder on that VII? I should take another look but I think I'll go change my socks instead.

I think this calls for W T F!!??!!

Low A VII? Really?
There are a couple low A Mark VII altos; they are rather uncommon, but do exist. I've heard of a low A S80, as well.

I do like the finish of the Mark VII in that Selmer pic ... but it's ... wrong.

Sure looks like it...

This is typical of French website design - high on style, low on utility. It took me a good five minutes to figure out how the navigation system worked.

Selmer also has a series of "high art" photographs of their instruments. Not the whole horn, but instead a moderate closeup of the octave key mechanism on a sax, or the bottom of the bell on a bass clarinet, and so forth. Very artys, but not very practical.

Under the merchandise section of the website, you can find clarinet keycup cufflinks, clarinet key "drop" style earrings, some black T shirts with saxophonic printing on same, and so forth. I kinda like the keychain (the least expensive item on the site), but it's just pot metal (Zamac), no mention of silver plate or anything like it.

I'm still pissed about their using rod and axle keys on the bass clarinets...no matter how pretty the photographs on the website might be...

But the pic of the low A VII is a Bb alto, isn't it?
Bingo. You would have thought that the folks that were setting up the website had a bit of a clue on the instruments Selmer sells.

There are some nice pics of horns, there, and some decent ads. But it is amusing when you see a pic of a Modele 28 on one page and their serial number/model list chart doesn't have that listed.

While my boy was in hockey camp up in Quebec City PQ, I got to spend some quality time with a French-Canadian website programmer (whose child also was attending the camp). I was in the process of "learning" the whole Dreamweaver creative suite at the time, and she had also recently started using it, so we did a lot of discussion of both the programs and the websites that her firm had designed in the past and were updating at the time.

While the techniques of construction were much the same, the design elements were diametrically opposed (in many cases) to what I had been taught by all of my instruction in the black computer arts. For example, she though nothing of having a different implementation of the scroll elements on each and every component of a website. That Selmer combination of two different modes of scrolling (the photo timeline and the almost hidden arrows in the lower right corner of the pages) would have been right in her wheelhouse.

But, it's the French - what are you going to do?

Buy a three-wheeled car. That's what I'd do. :)

In the murky past, I was taught a little about page layout and page design. The #1 thing I remember was that you should have no more than two fonts on a page. The second thing was that whatever you were printing had to be easily understood. I carried these rules over to saxpics.com, but my problem was that I had so many pages to update and too little time -- and I was the only one taking care of it.

Now, everyone makes mistakes. However, one would think that a company that is primarily known for saxophones would be able to keep their models straight. At the very least, one would think that they'd have someone from each Selmer instrument department look at the website to sign off on it.

Back
Top Bottom