Which Buffet Clarinet Do I Have?

Discussion in 'The Buffet Family' started by plochirco, May 15, 2017.

1. plochirco

plochirco

Hi guys, I recently picked up a Buffet Crampon clarinet and was having trouble determining the model. On all of the pieces there is a gold stamp with the Buffet name along with Crampon and a capital "C" with a superscript "ie" immediately following. Below this is the word "Aparis". I thought this might mean Paris as the clarinet is made in France but I was not sure. On the midsection piece there is a stamped "C12". I did not know if this was the model number or not. There is also what I believe to be the serial number. This is number 299670. I tried researching Buffet's serial numbers and if I'm correct it should have been manufactured in 1987. Again, I have tried researching this clarinet and have had no luck on pinpointing the exact model and I was hoping you guys could help me. Thanks!

Tags:
  2. TrueTone

TrueTone Clarinet, Sax, Oboe, History

It's marked with C12, so it's a C12, made in 1987 as you said.
    From what I gather it's rather similar in quality to the R13, and was for conservatory students to get a good instrument at a lower price.

Gandalfe likes this.
  3. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Buffet Crampon Conservatoire Clarinet (also called the C 12) was developed for advanced students who are preparing for a career as a professional musician. These instruments are made entirely of grenadilla wood.

Specifications:
    • Key of Bb
    • 17 keys and 6 rings
    • Made of Stained African Grenadilla Wood
    • Power forged Silver Plated keys
    • Adjustable thumb rest with ring for neck strap
    and it comes with:
    • Buffet Crampon mouthpiece
    • DeLuxe Buffet Crampon case with shoulder strap
    • Cork grease, Cleaning cloths, etc.
    A retired Buffet Regional Sales Rep reportedly said (Clarinet BBoard) that "the Buffet C-12 clarinet was produced only a few years, and was priced at $895 in 1984, and $1,820 by 1992. It is a very good instrument, positioned between the professional R-13 and the near-professional E-13. It is a French clarinet (E-ll's and below are mass-produced in Germany) with similar wood to the R-13. The E-13 is a VERY close relative to the R-13, so the C-12, being between them, should be an excellent instrument. The original case is an R-13 case. The Rep further mentioned that it was also significantly better than the old Master Model."

I see there is one on eBay right now with a buy it now price of $2500, it is advertised as brand new: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUFFET-Bb-C...EE-WORLDWDE-/162349631772?hash=item25cccac91c

TrueTone likes this.
  4. Aulos303

Aulos303 _•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____| Banned :(

Sounds a nice horn!

5. JfW

JfW

"Hi guys, I recently picked up a Buffet Crampon clarinet and was having trouble determining the model. On all of the pieces there is a gold stamp with the Buffet name along with Crampon and a capital "C" with a superscript "ie" immediately following. Below this is the word "Aparis""

This is simply the normal trademarked Buffet Logo whether it was made in France, Germany or elsewhere.

Gandalfe and TrueTone like this.
  6. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

7. JfW

JfW

Pretty horn!!