Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

WooF Member Recording Thread

Well written and performed, and you took a cool sounding tenor solo. But I'm most impressed with the fact that you took the time and expense to do a very professional mixing and mastering job on your recording. The sound quality is top notch....a most important ingredient in the making of a sucessful recording.

Congratulations!

Julian

If you end up writing more charts and want/need a publisher, I've got a friend who does music publishing here on the West Coast. I'd be happy to put you in touch with him.

And if you need a band with a harmony lineup for beta-testing, gimme a honk. We're always looking for stuff that hasn't been played to death. :)

Sounds great guys! I'll definitely keep that in mind as i keep working on my writing chops!

The beat goes on

A few months ago, I played baritone sax on a big band recording session with drummer/composer/arranger/conductor Frank Derrick. The CD received several Grammy nominations, and no, we didn't win.

The band doesn't work often but last weekend we did, and it reminded me of how good the CD sounded. We recorded it the hard way, all at once with no overdubs.

I got a baritone solo on the title track "The Beat Goes on." The trumpet soloist is Chris LaBarbera. Check it out:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmyozzjlmho

sell saxophone,clarinet

:Space4::Space4:
I prefer that "strange arrangement" to the one our community band (http://communitybandofbrevard.org/) did in the 9/13 concert. It is a medley of only the dance tunes from the show. Nobody recognized most of them and everything was in a minor key. Depressing.

Join the club. I stopped going there and . For you, I think a touch of classical-style vibrato would help. By the way, that's Prelude in C minor. You had me wondering. I play both preludes on piano (or used to) and could not imagine an instrumental version of the Prelude in C. Very pianistic piece.

http://www.8notes.com/scores/2703.asp

It's doable, I suppose, and I'd like to hear it, but I think the flow of the piece depends on a two-handed keyboard approach. It's my favorite of the Chopin preludes.
:Space4::Space4:

A few months ago, I played baritone sax on a big band recording session with drummer/composer/arranger/conductor Frank Derrick. The CD received several Grammy nominations, and no, we didn't win.

The band doesn't work often but last weekend we did, and it reminded me of how good the CD sounded. We recorded it the hard way, all at once with no overdubs.

I got a baritone solo on the title track "The Beat Goes on." The trumpet soloist is Chris LaBarbera. Check it out:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmyozzjlmho

I forgot to credit some great players:
First (Lead trumpet) solo is Augie Haas, trombone solo (no solo microphone - played from the section) is John Kricker. Produced by top 40 hit master arranger Mike Lewis. This track was recorded at about 2 AM. The trumpets were fried, and so was I, but I still like it. Pros are pros.

Groovekiller, nice solo, very funky story being told. That band sounds like a lot of veterans who know how to lay down that '60s type groove.

I worked with Frank Derrick in the Cab Calloway Orch back in the day. Frank was a very sweet guy who would bring his whole family to the gig every night when we worked in the NYC area. As a matter of fact, his dad, Frank Sr., played alto and clarinet in the band at that time. Glad to hear that Frank Jr is still active.

Julian

Groovekiller, nice solo, very funky story being told. That band sounds like a lot of veterans who know how to lay down that '60s type groove.

I worked with Frank Derrick in the Cab Calloway Orch back in the day. Frank was a very sweet guy who would bring his whole family to the gig every night when we worked in the NYC area. As a matter of fact, his dad, Frank Sr., played alto and clarinet in the band at that time. Glad to hear that Frank Jr is still active.

Julian

Frank's dad is unfortunately no longer with us. However, his mother was present at the recording session and hung in until the end. She used to give clarinet lessons to Johnny Griffin!

I did some improvising on my tin whistle, trying to control my breathing and vibrato. Tin whistle takes less breath than recorder!

I learnrd a new song today, called Never on a Sunday, and played it on my Yamaha alto recorder after picking out the notes on ukulele.

Back
Top Bottom