Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

yet another seeking info on Buffet clarinet..

Hello,
I'm sure people are getting tired of being asked, but I've searched the web, and found very little information on the clarinet I have. So I'm braving yet another "what model is this" post.

The clarinet was purchased by my father for my brother, back in the mid '70s. I have been told that they splurged since my father loved playing the instrument, even though my brother was just starting to learn. My father passed away almost 20 years ago, and my brother can no longer play (dental problems). So the instrument is more of a sentimental value at this moment. and was looking to see if it's worth getting it adjusted/refurbished. my son plays alto sax and is very good at it, and there's a slim chance that he might want to try something a bit different few years down the line, since many of our sax-playing friends seem to jump between those instruments. and there's also the possibility the younger child might pick it up as part of the music curriculum at school in couple of years. who knows.

the clarinet is made of wood. serial number is 147064, which according to various web sites, puts the manufacturing year to 1974, which is about right since I think my father purchased it in '75 or '76 or so, new (or if it was used, it was near mint).

I don't think it was abused, but it was used quite a bit for number of years (school band) and I do not see any visible cracks or dents, but I'm not a tech, so that probably won't mean much.

the gold buffet crampon seal is very faded, and very hard to see. I could barely make out the indentation the stamp left in some places. it doesn't appear to have any special name stamped below or above the seal, other than "made in france" or something like that. Based on this, I think it is an R13 model (saw some photos here, and the differentiation seem consistent with the R13: http://www.clarinetperfection.com/clsnBuffet.htm#PreR13vR13 )

the keys are dull grey (much oxidation), and has some dull-grey crusty material on it. it doesn't look like it's silver plated..

so the question is, other than re-padding and spring adjustments if the instrument is otherwise in good order, is this an instrument worth saving? (other than the sentimental value). it just makes me sad that the instrument my father loved so much is sitting in what my brother claims "needs work to get it in playing well" state. I'm a pianist, and for piano, it's always better to keep it in tune and in good shape even if it is in storage. I'm not familiar enough with woodwinds, but I'd assume it's similar (better to keep it in playing shape even in storage). or may be it doesn't matter. I don't know.

thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom