You think your GAS is bad ....

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
"GAS" is an acronym for "Gear Acquisition Syndrome". One dealer (in)famously made the point that saxophone players are afflicted with it worse than anyone else because we're insane and have a little change in our pockets.

Well, I'm a former saxophone player. I've owned ... four ... baritone saxophones (c'mon, the most expensive was only $1800 and I didn't own them all at the same time).

Anyhow, I have another hobby that lends itself towards GAS: I'm a computer tech. I must have new techie goodies. Well, I'm generally pretty good about this and I don't buy a new computer until there's something twice as fast as what I currently have on the market. Hey, I haven't replaced my trackball in 5 years. Although, I did have to get that 22" Viewsonic 1080p flat panel to go with my other 22" monitor. C'mon: it was on sale! This one's HD!

Anyhow, my wife just found a new kind of GAS: dogs.

The story: a couple years back, the wife said she wanted to have either a second child or a second dog. My choice. I easily chose the dog. (Un)fortunately, I had some major health issues that made getting another animal a little taxing.

Then my wife had to go out to MI a couple weeks ago.

She "happens" to have a friend that's a dog breeder. This friend just "happens" to be in MI. And my 6-year-old also "happens" to be out there with my wife. I'se tells you: it's a set-up!

So, I'll be getting a puppy, via air. This "puppy" is a 15-week old purebred Bloodhound that currently weighs 30lbs and is expected to weigh 85lbs when fully grown. My current dog is a 65lb, 10-year-old mutt who looks like the world's largest Schnauzer. I spent $87 on dog food, today. Then the puppy is going to go for obedience/service dog training. Here, I thought that sending a couple kids to college might be expensive.

Well, the dog might go on the dog show circuit That'd hopefully recoup some cash.

Attached is a picture of the "puppy" with my father-in-law's full-grown Standard Poodle (a Standard Poodle is real-dog-sized dog; this one comes up to a little below my waist and I'm 6'1"), which is also a show dog.

I spoke with my wife's grandparents, the other day. I was cordially informed that their granddaughter always said she wanted lots of animals around. Like "living on a farm" lots.

Hey I've got a great idea. How about a Saxpics Dog Calendar? You could send in a photo of your sax next to your dog.

Seriously, thanks for the pic. That bloodhound pup is very photogenic. He has that sad expression already.

John

Heh Pete. Congrats on the new addition to your family. :-D

Hate to tell you this though... As a general rule, the dog show circuit, it doesn't make you money, it costs you money. There are of course exceptions, but they are very far and few between. By the time you factor in entry fees. Travel costs to and from the shows. Accommodation costs. Handler fees, if you put a handler on the dog. Each shows costs you a lot of money. Even if you win, you generally don't get cash, you might get points towards the dog's title, and some prizes.

I've been involved in the dog world for 20 years now, but only in the periphery. (I don't show my dogs, they come to me as retired champions when they're 2 or 3 years old. I prefer it this way. No puppy stage for me. I don't have the patience.) One of my closest friends is a breeder where I got all my borzoi from. She and her husband are both AKC judges, and have had the #1 borzoi in Canada for years, and currently are trying to breed the #1 saluki in the US for '06-08 (I believe). This is attempt number 3 through AI. Each attempt has cost a lot.

I've helped Dianna and Stephen with their club over the years when they've put on shows, and now many of the ins and outs of the "business". You pays, and you pays, and then you pays some more.

Enjoy the dog for what it is, but don't look to recoup your investment. If you do by chance get some money back, look at it as a nice surprise. But most importantly, enjoy the dog as a member of the family. After all, that what he/she is.

FWIW, I like the sax/dog calander idea jbtsax suggested. ;-)

Look at the bright side, Pete. You'll have expert help looking for all the things you and your family misplace.

@ Tammi: Saginaw. When you sent the clarinet, I asked the wife if she knew where your town was. She didn't. Generally she brings out her hand and points to someplace between index finger and thumb. (This is a UP thing. I don't expect non-Midwesterners to understand. I barely do; I was born in IL. I had to have this behavior explained to me.)

@ TJ: Yes. Yes, they do. At least The World's Largest Schnauzer does. I've not met my father-in-law's current Standard Poodle or the puppy.

@ John: One of the pics I really enjoyed is Gandalfe's pic of his bass sax and his cat playing with it -- although it would have been more amusing to see half a cat sticking out of the bell. As far as my calendars/book project are concerned, animals I don't mind. People, yes: I'd probably have to get releases and stuff and that's annoying. Dogs? They work for treats. (Come to think of it, so do I.)

Oh. Both the Standard Poodle and the Bloodhound are "she"s.

@ Helen: My original post is 90% kidding, of course.

My father-in-law and his wife showed dogs for years, mainly poodles of various sizes, so I have a good deal of info on what goes on. Additionally, I used to work at a kennel and this is not my first purebred: I owned a orange long-haired Shar Pei and an American Bobtail cat. At the same time. When they first met, I discovered cats DO have a reverse gear and can spring straight up into the air about three feet, turn around in midair, hit the ground with feet moving and run away at appx. 90mph -- in the time it takes for the dog to go, "Arf?"

However, I, myself, am not too enamored with the puppy (or kitty) stage, either. I tried -- hard -- to convince the wife to adopt a more adult dog (we have animal rescue folks at the PetSmart around the corner, weekly), but she couldn't find one that The World's Largest Schnauzer got along with. Until we babysat some Beagle puppies for a friend.

@ Retread: I wonder if it can be trained to look for lost keys ....

When your wife gets home point to the lower center of your palm and tell her Lake Odessa is 'here', between Grand Rapids and Lansing.

It's not just a Yooper thing, everyone who lives in the Mitten State does it! :p

When we show sheep we usually get paid 'premiums' for 1st-8th place along with a ribbon. Some shows only pay 1st-3rd. The bigger shows will have prizes to add to the winnings.
Still, there isn't any money to be made. It costs more to haul the animal than what you get in premiums.
My Reserve Grand Champion Yearling Jacob Ram earned a whopping $11 to go with his title.

Good luck with the dog. Those are some big paws that it has to grow into.

My son is allergic to dogs and cats. It's a shame . . . :)

pete;21705 ...[/I said:
I spoke with my wife's grandparents, the other day. I was cordially informed that their granddaughter always said she wanted lots of animals around. Like "living on a farm" lots.
That's what my current situation is now. 4 horses, 3 goats, 2 sheep, 9 chickens, 3 cats, 6 dogs (Pembroke Corgi's), and 3 aquariums full of fish. Anyone need some baby Brichardi's ? As I look back now, I'm not surprised at my current state. I met my wife while she was working part time at a pet store. She worked there to pay her college bills. One of college courses involved raising cattle, which lead to showing a steer at the county fair. It's no wonder how things came to be. Now she wants to get some piglets ! I'm holding her off on that for now.

As for puppies being a bother, they can be. In order for it to be worthwhile to raise a pup or puppies, you need time. Not just time enough to tend to it's needs, but time to enjoy the little furballs also. Otherwise it's all work and no play ...
But be careful ! We decided to have a go at a litter of pups, and the result is now 6 dogs instead of 2.
There is nothing harder than parting with the little pups after 8 weeks of living with them.

This is a pic of one of the litters. #6 is in the foreground (Dot-Dot). My wife fell in love with her, but she's my girl now. This little brat has completely and utterly stolen my heart.

Congrat's on the new pup !

Last edited:
Here's another part of the story:

So, my wife was supposed to get a flight out of MI on Monday afternoon. Note I said "supposed to". Turns out that it was "warm" in MI -- and they don't fly dogs out when it's above 85 degrees. The wife wasn't informed of this until she had already boarded the plane.

Anyhow, the wife reschedules the flight, but her and my daughter's bags were already loaded. So the wife calls me and asks me to pick them up at the airport. A nice 20 or so mile drive.

And the bags aren't there.

Seems that there was a flight delay at the connecting city, so the bags got placed on a different plane. Please be so kind as to pick them up tomorrow .... (they were and I got them).

Anyhow, wife and dog arrived safe on Wednesday afternoon. Please also note that I live IN THE DESERT and it's still averaging about 97 degrees, but I digress :).

The initial meeting between the puppy (Ruby) and The World's Largest Schnauzer (Jonah) did not go extremely well. Ruby wants to play. Jonah wants to sleep. Ruby wants to eat Jonah's food. Jonah wants to kill Ruby. Jonah then goes into a fit of OCD (he's done this before) and licked his front paw raw. And now stays in the backyard 95% of the time.

Maybe that'll change. Maybe. I did warn the Wife that this would happen.

It was amusing when the wife took Ruby to the "park" (grassy expanse of land, really): Jonah sat at the window watching Ruby leave. And then waited. And waited some more. After 15 minutes, he was normal dog and allowed me to pet him. He was crushed when the puppy came back.

Comments:
* I have about a 1200sqft house. Combine that with a wife, 6-year-old, a 35-lb puppy and a 65-lb dog and the house feels REALLY small.
* The 6-year-old was "forced" to play with the dog last night. She whined and complained because the puppy was "too active". Me: "Didn't you play with the puppy in MI?" Her: "No." Wife: "Well, Ruby played with my dad's dog (in my picture, above) and the kid didn't really play WITH the puppy, but NEAR the puppy."
* Ruby is doing well for house training, at least.

We've already got the teething. My wife found that out the hard way -- with her big toe being the object lesson. And, of course, the puppy was in my "office" for 1.2 seconds before she started gnawing on a book I had lying on my desk.

This really isn't a bad object lesson for the 6-year-old: if you don't pick up your toys, they will be chewed on. She's been picking up her toys.

Note #2: the puppy is easily twice as loud "barking" as Jonah (sounds more like a cross between a 6-year-old with croup and a car backfiring, actually). Which I had also predicted ....

Note #3: the puppy prefers the Senior Dog dog food and the senior dog prefers the Puppy Food. It's all Science Diet, but still ....

Note #4: over 3/4ths of the puppy's height comes from its legs. Which you don't completely realize until she spreads out on the couch or bed. Worse than I cat, I tell ya.

My dawgs from when I was young

My parents like dogs. We had two of them while I lived with my parents.

SCAMP
When I turned five, my birthday present was a smalish grey poodle, but it never really looked like one. Just a gray dog with curly hair. It was named the after the Danish "translation" of Scamp from "Lady and the Tramp". I was dead scared the night when they gave it too me, but that soon changed and we became the best of friends. Scamp was quite intelligent and could perform a load of tricks, fetch the mail without tearing it to pieces, shut doors, play games, etc. Really a nice dog save for a few problems.

First, it really did its very best to live up to the Disney character. Even the slimmest chance of getting away and Scamp was gone for hours. This was problem was semi-linked to the second problem, which was that Scamp, to put it politely, was quite enamored by female dogs. So, I had to develop a rather good sense of where every female dog lived in my neighborhood and make rounds of my bicycle to locate my obstinate friend, catch him and literally drag him home. It got be to really irritating at times. It also had its rather scary moments. Once, it was pretty clear that my Scamp had been underneath a moving car. Reasonably unscathed but still mauled over pretty well. Another time, we fished him out of a swimming pool. Not one of his most intelligent decisions because he clearly could not get out and was totally exhausted and about to drown. The third problem was a complete disregard for size, not just of his female prospects, which could be a rather comical sight to behold when the dog was three times taller, but also of angry dogs. Scamp would get into a fight, ANY fight if the other dog wanted it, and preventing big dogs with jaws to match their size from decapitating my best friend was a challenge. At least I had never been bitten by a dog and wasn't scared of them on bit so that helped, but it was close to a premature death for my dog on several occasions. Fortunately this never happened, and Scamp lived to the age of 14 before he developed a tumor on his tongue and had to be put down.

SEBASTIAN
A little gray poodle, no matter how alpha-male Scamp was, didn't quite meet the standards of a REAL dog for my father. He really wanted a Great Dane. On top of that my parents had to do a good deed so they picked up a Great Dane, which we named Sebastian for reasons that I cannot remember, from the police station. At that time, the police in Denmark had sufficient time on their hands to pick up stray dogs and dogs that had been abused. They would keep them for a month or so while trying to find a new home for the poor animals by listing them in newspapers etc. If they didn't succeed within this time frame, the dogs would be euthanized. My parents must have been following these listings and when a tiger-striped Great Dane showed up in the listings, it was too much temptation for my dad and next day Sebastian moved into the house. We soon realized that it would have been easier to house an extraterrestial.

I am not sure how Great Danes achieved their name. I hope it does not reflect on Danes in general, because if Sebastian was a remotely representative specimen, it would be safe to conclude that Great Danes are not terribly clever, or possess instincts to compensate. In addition, Sebastian was not merely an enormous dog by dog standards, he was too big for being a Great Dane. Not too tall, but way too long. He had been severely abused and malnourished. He weighed about 60 kilos (~140 lbs) when we picked him up and looked like something out of a concentration camp. The vet told us that we should aim for 80 kilos, which turned out to be quite a challenge.

OK, lets start with the dog being stupid. It resulted in all sorts of comic incidences, except that it wasn't always funny when you were at the receiving end. Up until Sebastian arrived, I had spent most of my evenings on the floor under the coffee table watching television. I could stay up as long as I wanted and, hence, mostly fell asleep under the coffee table. My parent would then drag me out and put me in bed. This was an arrangement I was perfectly happy with. Somehow, Sebastian, being pretty screwed up, must have had the same sense of security lying underneath the coffee table, and stole my spot. This would have been alright if the dog had been sufficiently intelligent to crawl back out along the floor in the same way he had to squeeze in order to fit. Instead, the stupid dog would just stand up with the rather heavy coffee table on his back and get all perplexed when whatever was on top of the table started to rain down. He got umpteen chances and every time we thought that Sebastian had finally figured it out, he would pull off the stunt yet another time. He never got a sense of his own size. My dad had a big Volvo and Sebastian could fit on the back seat. This would work until Sebastian got tired of lying with his head in one direction and wanted a chance of scenery. Having a 4-5 foot long dog with a brain the size of a pea attempting to make a 180 degree turn on a back seat of a car in full motion was nerve-wrecking to say the very least. Someone had to ride in the front passenger seat to help the dog figure out how to flip around without having head or limbs ending up in front my dad, while he was operating the 3 tonnes vehicle.

So then there were the problems with Sebastian being emaciated. That seemed an easy fix. Just feed the poor animal. Yeah right. Sebastian would eat incredible amounts of food; at least enough to compete with Michael Phelps during intense training. My mom and I would go once a month to pick up 80 kilos of dry rice. This just fit into the trunk of a mini cooper, the old ones. It made you worry that the car would tilt backwards on the way home. The rice was cooked and mixed with whatever sorts of meat that would not put the family into bankruptcy. All to little avail. It took at least two years for the Sebastian to put on some weight. Meanwhile, any edible item that wasn't intended for this monster dog had to be kept away. Most of the time the lack of intelligence would render this an easy task. However, from time to time, we would make mistakes. My dad was into cheese and once brought home 2 kilos (~4.5 lbs) in one chunk. It was left for maybe 5 minutes on the kitchen counter while someone forgot to close the door. The next thing we knew was that the cheese was gone along with the wrapping. At first we thought that perhaps it had been misplaced until I looked at the counter and saw this gleaming area where the cheese had been. That sight was all to common. At least Sebastian new how to clean up after himself.

Finally, the sequelae of a the dog being abused. Sebastian was the nicest and friendliest animal ever to walk on this planet. He got along with SCAMP and everybody else just fine as long as they didn't seem scary to him. We never found out who had owned him beforehand or what they had done to him but it must have been really horrible. It too next to nothing to scare the living daylights out of Sebastian. I particularly remember three incidences.

In the first, I am walking the dog on one side of the road when a little girl with a plastic bag crosses us in the opposite direction. Not sure how plastic bags can be scary to dogs but Sebastian managed to push himself sideways into the bushes next to him. They happened to be wild roses and I was sandwiched in between. My blood was all over.

In the second, we came home from a day-trip and what turned out to be blood from my best friend was left on the rug in the hallway and on a towel. There was a long apologetic note describing how a Beetle had passed by and scared Sebastian, who had started running without being held back by dragging my friend for half a mile behind him. Thankfully, his arm didn't come off or something worse but he did have bruises all over.

Finally, and the worst time of my life ever, was when I was walking Sebatian in the woods. I had no clue what scared him this time. After a bumpy ride across the ground my arm slipped out of the leash. The dog was gone for five days. None of us slept and we mobilized everyone willing to locate him. Surprising a friend of the family found not far from where he had taken off. My guess is that Sebastian had tried his best to find his way home...by running in circles. He had burned off 10-15 kilos in five days and was back to where we started.

It took four years for my dad to admit that Sebastian was never going to be normal or be able to live in a city, not even the outskirts where my parents had their house. So, after searching for a while, my mom found some farmers who were nice and willing to take over. I never saw him again but was told he did alright. After a little while of mourning, a sense of relief set in and I was happy with being alone with Scamp again. As a matter of fact, I had enough dog for a lifetime.

Sorry for any typos.

Cheers,
Steen

Last edited:
Today, the dogs have reached detente: Jonah has realized that it IS occasionally fun to chase after the puppy (who is quite obviously holding back a significant amount of speed and Jonah is laboring to keep up). Jonah still growls/snaps at the puppy if she tries to lick him on the face/ears, but that's because the puppy is stubborn and really needs a box to the side of the head from Jonah. However, it does appear that Jonah is the leader and the puppy is the follower. Most of the time. Jonah seems very happy with that arrangement.

By the bye, I wish to recommend a great book, simply called Dogs, by Dutch artist Rien Poortvliet. You might be able to get it in a public library or used --it's expensive, new -- but I have an original.

As close as I can come to the dog conversation . . . I recently read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" which is narrated by a dog. First piece of fiction I read in about three years. Pretty good. A little predictable in places but pretty well done.

awe man!
pd183043.jpg
These guys are fuzzy and they like to kill bears. karelian bear dog

As close as I can come to the dog conversation . . . I recently read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" which is narrated by a dog. First piece of fiction I read in about three years. Pretty good. A little predictable in places but pretty well done.
Yeah, but how much sophistication can you expect from a dawg who writes. :emoji_rage:

When I returned the book to the co-worker who loaned it to me I said, "well at least nothing tragic happened in the book like the driver wrecking the Ferrari".

It is a sad book in places but Jim's right - how well can a dog really write.

Back
Top Bottom