Your Ugliest Horn Pictures

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
We see beautiful instruments celebrated but how about your ugliest horn. My ugliest horn is my main bari at the moment a Yanagisawa from 1969. Bari's take a beating normally but this one was a former school horn. Here are a couple of photos taken with my blackberry:

ugly1.jpg

and:

ugly2.jpg

Do you want "pictures of your ugliest horn" or "ugliest pictures of your horn"? Besides, worn-off lacquer is patina, signs of a past life, just like our grey hair and wrinkles.

Let me introduce you to my Buescher TT soprano

Bare brass more corroded than patina

barebrass.jpg

And the top was about 1cm off centre because of a bent body

IMG_3190.jpg

With a bit of a bend rod or two....

IMG_3193.jpg

But these are "before" photos - and there is a happy ending!

Chris

I used to have a free subscription to Jazziz Magazine. They'd send CDs with the magazine and the picture for the CD was always some instrument that looked like it had been hanging on the wall of an Applebee's for 75 years.

---

SIDE NOTE: you know you've been around instruments too long if you go into an Applebee's and start identifying the make/model of each of the horns bolted to the wall.

---

In my years as saxpics, the ugliest pictures I've seen were close-ups of interesting rust patterns. No other details, just pictures of rust. I dunno what I was supposed to do with these kinds of pics, other than to say, "Your horn looks like it has rust on it."

In my opinion, the ugliest horns are those that have obvious damage and or are missing parts. I'll see if I can find pics of the horn that someone wanted me to identify that had all soldered-on tone holes -- and then was repaired by using about 15 tons of additional solder. THAT was ugly.

And there's the "stood on" sax I've been using in avatars.

According to the repair person, from the size of the damage he was pretty sure it was a (British) size 10 boot. (the horn is a Buffet)

flatsax.jpg

I tried to buy it for precisely that reason. But the fellow wanted $9000 for an unplayable horn that would need tons of work. I just wanted to remove the bell dent and use it as a piece of art. I wonder if he's ever sold it?

Probably not in this market.

And there's the "stood on" sax I've been using in avatars.

According to the repair person, from the size of the damage he was pretty sure it was a (British) size 10 boot. (the horn is a Buffet)

flatsax.jpg
Looks like an S2.

To me, the ugliest horn is anything in the hands and mouth of Ken...

oops. I forgot.

This was my ugliest sax, a Conn "Frankentenor" I created out of two junk instruments I bought at pawn shops and played for years on gigs. I traded it to Jason Dumars for some engraving work and . . . . well you can see the result for yourself.

Frankentenor.jpg

Last edited:
Does it have to be playable?

Here is my current ugliest horn, a Mark VI found in a dumpster in New York. It has become my most challenging side project to date to restore it to a thing of beauty that makes music once again.

MarkVItop.jpg

MarkVImid.jpg

MarkVIbottom.jpg

MarkVIbell.jpg

I will post a photo display showing the phases of the restoration once the project is finished.

John

Wow, I wonder what he did?

Maybe you should post those for "you know who" on SOTW who is always going on about his wife.

Mangled Mark VI

John, that is about the saddest thing I've ever seen. Makes you want to :cry:. Glad to hear that you're going to rebuild the old girl.

The ugliest horn I own is without a doubt the late-model 10M I just had restored. Sarge did a great job restoring the old thing, and it plays like a 10M should, but boy it's ugly...

guys, c'mon... these are UGLY HORNS :D

DSC01905.jpggoat+bagpipe.jpg
5488914418_91be792bf3.jpgRisto_Todoroski_Macedonian_goatskin_bagpipes_sirulsko@gmail.com_003.jpg

...& just to show eastern European pipes dont have the ugly market cornered:
TA DAAA-
99290366754933377_uT9QVqPB_b.jpg

Yep. Do not adjust your screen: they're pink.

Back
Top Bottom