SOTW's down. Are we currently Number 1?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Can you explain a little more?
Well, there's the engine, the php (or whatever language) code, the SQL statements, the database, that drives the inner workings of a forum, and then there's the user interface manager, themes, whatever you call them.

The "engine" will take care of storing and retrieving the posts while the UI manager will present the retrieved data in an appealing manner. Some would prefer the output in some RSS form, some others want a HTML page in a browser - both can be satisfied with the same "engine" but different UI plugins.

One thing should work - reasonably independently - of the other. So you can update the "core engine" to reflect the bleeding edge in data mining technology while you can keep the user interface to feed the user a rustic familiar green-on-black representation of the data with cryptic commands etc.

Wow! It's nice to see so many familiar faces here at the Woodwind Forum. For me, the end result of the SOTW upgrade is me poking my nose in over here. I'm looking forward to discovering more about this forum, meeting a few folks, and hopefully contributing something worthwhile too.

Naw, I poke my nose over here whenever I'm home. WooF is blocked for some reason at work.

Regarding SOTW's new look. Hey, I like it. I like white backgrounds with black letters, just like paper. I also have serious presbyopia. It's cured with a good set of glasses.

Hi, LampLight!

==========

I have been looking over the themes and there are a couple that are close to our current forum's default theme, so I'll try to get those installed -- when I can get the test forum up and running, that is.

FWIW, I happen to also use the "Mean Green" theme. I prefer it to the default vBulletin 3.x theme.

You can pick a theme with the theme picker (not "nose picker") in the extreme lower right of the screen. (You might have to scroll down.) It's also under "Edit Options" in your user control panel (direct link).

I'm having a hard time with SOTW . It's really frustrating trying to find old posts and even recent ones. I can't even find the User CP or its equivalent.

Wow! It's nice to see so many familiar faces here at the Woodwind Forum. For me, the end result of the SOTW upgrade is me poking my nose in over here. I'm looking forward to discovering more about this forum, meeting a few folks, and hopefully contributing something worthwhile too.
Hey Lamptlight. Great to have you here! Thanks for joining

Without an operating search function it is like the library in "The Name of the Rose". Might as well take the whole site down until that is fixed.

Without an operating search function it is like the library in "The Name of the Rose". Might as well take the whole site down until that is fixed.
They seem to only have FORUM searches turned on -- i.e. you have to open up a forum area and then you can choose "search this forum".

They seem to only have FORUM searches turned on -- i.e. you have to open up a forum area and then you can choose "search this forum".

Trying to just look at new posts is a search - and without that function on, I doubt I'll bother to try and look at anything on SOTW.

Is it just me, or is the site a bit less active than before the overhaul?

Is it just me, or is the site a bit less active than before the overhaul?

they have a few leaks .. i'm sure they'll tweak it as things get going again.

They were down a LONG time so i'm sure they're all frazzled.

What mouthpiece is best?
How do I fix my ombutcher? :D
What is the best sax?
How can I get good without practicing?
I am a poor student. Can someone give me stuff?
Are Taiwan saxes as good as French?

Now we just answer these over and over (I am sure I missed a few)
You missed "has anybody ever tried a tenor reed on an alto?" (and various other combos):cool:
and "which mouthpiece should I use for marching band?"

I'm still trying to get used to the new SOTW forum. I've also had it not display new posts a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom