SOTW's down. Are we currently Number 1?

yes and no for me. I look here just as often as SoTW, but this forum is much much less active, which is nice. A lot of the threads do seem to be picking up over here though since the outtage. I noticed it too when SoTW was having the server problems and we were getting booted off. I prefer here for the intellectual conversations, the Marketplace over there is much better IMHO just because it's bigger, and now that Marty is back over there, well 'nuff said. Beginner section can also be rather entertaining when they tick off some people.
Not a whole lot of new people posting over here that I've seen though. A couple, but not a mass exodus

I'm posting more because I'm stuck on bedrest from surgery. I can't get up and do anything, had to cancel a bunch of gigs and can't get to physical classes because I can't walk. Blasted ski accident. Never knew a ski could act as a machete and slice your leg in half. Feel bad though, because the Lounge on SoTW is where we usually let out our boredom, not bogging this one down from productive conversations

Me. That's why I'm here.

I saw SOTW was still down and I needed my daily fix of saxophone related banter. So here I am. ;)

Welcome, SOTW folks!

I mentioned to SteveSklar that we had more than quintupled our daily new forum membership the day that SOTW went down. That stat's more impressive if you didn't know that we average about one new user per day :).

I feel for Harri: I've done upgrades that have gone horribly wrong, before, and then checked my backup to find that it was b0rked. I *think* SOTW is probably trying to get their webhost to do a restore from "hard" backup (tape, whatever) and that's what's taking so long.

However, SOTW's woes did prompt me to write out what we're doing, step-by-step for OUR upgrade to vBulletin 4.0.x -- the first thing being that we're not using a live database ....

Anyhow, I don't have a problem with folks that post in both places. Hey, if you've been banned from another forum, you're not automagically banned: we'll give you a chance here. Our rules are darn simple: play nice, for sale stuff goes in the Mall area.

I feel for Harri: I've done upgrades that have gone horribly wrong, before, and then checked my backup to find that it was b0rked. I *think* SOTW is probably trying to get their webhost to do a restore from "hard" backup (tape, whatever) and that's what's taking so long.
Over the years I have become *very* cautious re upgrading an otherwise flawlessly running system. Unless the advantages clearly outweigh the risks I don't do it. Newer ain't always better. You know the bugs of your old system, you have no idea what you trade them in for...

I pretty much touch base here at least once a day, but have indeed been on more often in the recent couple of days.

I do hope that whatever is going on at SOTW will be remedied in a satisfactory way, and that Harri is OK. While I do miss SOTW, I seem to have a lot more time now :oops:; takes a long time to sift through the SOTW posts. And the lounge, while often fun, can become irritating, so I'm enjoying not being tempted to read and/or post there. I do miss being able to PM some folks, whose email addresses I don't have.

Thanks, WWForum!

Ruth

URL just went down down, so maybe that's a sign of potential improvement. Before it was at least linking to the actual SoTW page. And now it's back to linking again. I'm just glad the main page didn't go down. I get 4 new students today and their homework assignment is to go read a bunch of articles in the beginners corner...
Hopefully Harri gets to go on his I'm sure, much needed vacation. We can wait... Hopefully everything comes back as normal though. I would HATE to lost some of those lounge threads...:emoji_rage: Or maybe a forum gremlin would go through and merge all of the threads that say the same thing... It would end up with like 20% of the threads. Much easier to backup nex ttime

Or maybe a forum gremlin would go through and merge all of the threads that say the same thing... It would end up with like 20% of the threads.
I've often said that what SOTW is in dire need of is a bunch of librarians.

What mouthpiece is best?
How do I fix my ombutcher? :D
What is the best sax?
How can I get good without practicing?
I am a poor student. Can someone give me stuff?
Are Taiwan saxes as good as French?

Now we just answer these over and over (I am sure I missed a few)

What mouthpiece is best?
How do I fix my ombutcher? :D
What is the best sax?
How can I get good without practicing?
I am a poor student. Can someone give me stuff?
Are Taiwan saxes as good as French?

Now we just answer these over and over (I am sure I missed a few)
I've got the number of a good vet.
The most expensive.
If you have the most expensive horn/mouthpiece, you'll be fine.
You've got my two cents' worth!
I strongly prefer chicken coq au vin to Taiwanese saxes when I'm hungry.

Really? Isn't he boarding a cruise to Sweden today. I'd worry more about the stress for the staff. Sometimes they peek over here so maybe we'll hear how they're doing.

Enjoying my much needed vacation from the daily soap opera, thanks for asking Jim!:D

Harri is ironing out the kinks, and the forum should be up and running shortly.

Looks like a glimpse of the new layout over there is up.

Back
Top Bottom