Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

SOTW's down. Are we currently Number 1?

Sure. but it didn't show new posts. Seems to be back up again though.

I'm not sure what exactly is back up again, but searching on LampLight still only brings back about 1 per cent of my posts and nothing newer than last December. :-(

Is it just me, or is the site a bit less active than before the overhaul?
Nope, I've noticed that too and wondered if the forum link that opens to a non-forum page is confusing some people. It will probably pick up once everyone gets used to the new vBulletin 4.0 changes.

The International Saxophone Symposium was this weekend, and that probably also lessened the flow of posts a little.

Laughing at newbies

You missed "has anybody ever tried a tenor reed on an alto?" (and various other combos):cool:
and "which mouthpiece should I use for marching band?"

These forums are invaluable tools for beginners, newbies, late (supposedly) bloomers. Even if these questions are naive, they come from fellow saxists who deserve being helped in their struggle for survival, in a synth-, sequencer-, sampler-oriented musical world.

J

These forums are invaluable tools for beginners, newbies, late (supposedly) bloomers. Even if these questions are naive, they come from fellow saxists who deserve being helped in their struggle for survival, in a synth-, sequencer-, sampler-oriented musical world.

J

The repetitive nature of those type of questions was the main point, and the notion that the forum could be condensed to 20% or so of it's size.

Anyway, If I strip off the finish of my sax, will it make the tone brighter or darker?

It depends on whether you're playing in bright light or in a dark room where no one can see the finish. :rolleyes:
no no No NO it depends on the color of the lining of the case.

I'm not sure what exactly is back up again, but searching on LampLight still only brings back about 1 per cent of my posts and nothing newer than last December. :-(
Point taken. That is bad, but if new post don't show up or your subscriptions are lost then it seems better to me to shut the whole thing down until fixed.

Point taken. That is bad, but if new post don't show up or your subscriptions are lost then it seems better to me to shut the whole thing down until fixed.

I am somewhat deferential to Harri on this because only he has his full perspective. I understand bringing the forum back up for the benefit of the many and so as not to lose membership. I don't agree, but I do understand, and it's not my forum. What I don't understand is why we haven't rolled back to the earlier version of vBulletin. It's been a week now since this upgrade started, and it would seem to me that there is even more to be said for rolling back now. If we can not roll back without losing new data, then we are behind the eight ball. But ideally, we ought to roll back and the new version should be tested against the problem reports that have been received and not deployed until it addresses them.

Does anybody remember the first SOTW?
When they moved to the last version, as far as I know, everything was lost .
Was it the late 90's or early in this century?

I am somewhat deferential to Harri on this because only he has his full perspective.
I guess I didn't do a very good job of getting my point across. I wasn't questioning Harri at all. Poor guy, this must be a nightmare. My comment was exclusively referring to the day where new posts didn't show up at all. That was remedied quickly. However, if it hadn't been, I would have thought that it best to take it down, because the site at that time effectively was frozen.

I was there - late 90's. I think it was called eeSites. I'll bet Pete remembers it well. IIRC, some of it was preserved in an archive for a while.

I started checking it out in the fall of 2000, just reading not posting. It was red and blue on white back then, you didn't have to register to post, and it was really wild, to say the least.

I have to admit, the present format is throwing me for a bit of a loop, it's hard on my eyes.

Julian

Can't go back to old version. They stop supporting the old versions...
Contrary to popular belief, software doesn't self-destruct or otherwise deteriorate upon the release of a new version. Unless its execution is dependent somehow on external components retrieved at runtime, the old php/sql code should still work and you should be able to go back.

Assuming you were smart enough to properly back things up and stay with the OS with which it all worked.

Assuming, too, that the license agreement permits you to continue running it, that is. If not, it's a matter for lawyers, not technicians.

"Stop supporting" simply means you don't get any more upgrades or answers to your questions from the vendor. The code still executes.

My laptop runs Windows 98, an old version of IE, and Word 2000. Guess what. It works just fine. Shows nary a wrinkle, doesn't limp, and has all its teeth.

...Shows nary a wrinkle, doesn't limp, and has all its teeth.

You should be so fortunate yourself...

Until 2007, I used a piece of software called Federal Expense Report, this to file my monthly travel vouchers with Uncle Sam. It was put together for the Macintosh system by the same people who ultimately brought out Macintax and other financial stuff, and I was one of the beta testers for it way back in 1985.

This positively ancient (by computer software standards) program still chugged along, clunky interface and all (it was hard to save a finished voucher without overwriting the master copy on the floppy (back in 1985) or hard drive (since 1987)), and only stopped functioning when the complete rebuild of OS X (the Macintosh shorthand for Operating System 10) in 2007 or so took out the emulator for older programs.

I spoke to my contacts within Apple, and was told that no one was using any software from the 1980's any longer. Well, they were almost right...

There can be reasons why backing up is not an option. As Al hinted at (post #75), sometimes there are external dependencies over which the forum has no control. For example, the SOTW host may well dictate what versions of database (mysql ?) or php can be run. That's why it's hard to appreciate what is going on without Harri's perspective. In an ideal world there is always a backup plan, but the world is not always ideal.

I started checking it out in the fall of 2000, just reading not posting. It was red and blue on white back then, you didn't have to register to post, and it was really wild, to say the least.

Julian

Ya , I didn't know anything about internet manners back then but I think I kept it clean. I remember getting yelled at for possibly discouraging a kid from getting a soprano sax. (I didn't realize it was a kid.)
I told him to "Nix the Witch Stick and get a clarinet."
I got an email much later from an irate member and was put in my place.
Too bad we can't go back and search our old posts from the good old days.
Ah , the Clinton years:)

Too bad we can't go back and search our old posts from the good old days.
Ah , the Clinton years:)
Made us appreciate the GOOD old days.

And in 3

Back
Top Bottom