What are you Listening to?

Yeah, that struck me as a bit odd. (along with a noticeable amount of chords in that- there's a #i, bVII, and several random other odd chords, for Pete's sake!)
Another cool thing:
I will get a link to the Maslanka piece from Saturday tomorrow, the other piece is not yet commercially available, but is also great!

King Curtis playing "What is This Thing Called Love?" from In a Jazz Groove album.

Yes, I do like me some odd chords.
Haha.
(Also I analyzed that again, I'm thinking I should consider that those are two areas in which it changes keys for a bit, to Gb and C major, respectively, as those parts are gonna be real funky to try to analyze in anything resembling Eb major...)

As a random reccomendation:
Bruno Walter, conducting Mahler 5 with the NY Phil in 1947.
Principal clarinet should be Simeon Bellison- I have an old black and white photo of him in my old copy of the Klose book, holding an Oehler. (I'm not sure why Stokowski.org doesn't have a listing of at least their principals-they have that for almost every other major US orchestra. I believe principal bassoon about then was William Polisi, principal oboe was Harold Gomberg, and principal flute John Wummer.
Here's the program to a concert that had Mahler 5 on it a few days before that recording, for fun:
https://archives.nyphil.org/index.p...dfa-28d0fa39e7db-0.1/fullview#page/1/mode/2up

Snarky Puppy

I'd recommend checking out the videos labeled "groundUPmusicNYC." These have their full 18 piece band and the audience is literally right next to them and all around them, which is an interesting idea.

Asrael Symphony - Josef Suk / Czech Philharmonic - Jiri Belohlavek conducting

When in Prague a few years ago, I heard the Czech Phil do this in their home auditorium. It was grand. IMHO It's a piece that should be played more often in the USA. Prague is a great music city.

I play music for a living, so I know why symphony orchestras play the same war horses again and again.

I won't pay to see Beethoven's 5th, but would jump at the chance for the 4th.

Dvorak's 9th is nice, but so are 5, 6, 7 and 8.

How about Arensky? Borodin? Fikret Amirov? and so many others with great but yet accessible symphonies? Mix them in with a warhorse and perhaps you will enrich someone's life.

But like I said. I play music for a living that means commercial music. So I have a collection of about 600 CDs that when I reach the final chord of my coda, nobody is going to want to inherit.

Such is the state of the arts.

Notes

I dug through all the banker boxes I had my CDs in, and found all my Gato Barbieri CDs. He is hands down my favourite tenor player. Right now I am listening to each and everyone of his CDs I have over and over again. IIRC, I have about 10 or 12.

I dug through all the banker boxes I had my CDs in, and found all my Gato Barbieri CDs. He is hands down my favourite tenor player. Right now I am listening to each and everyone of his CDs I have over and over again. IIRC, I have about 10 or 12.

I used to have Caliente and I think Ruby on LP. Nice approach and good accompanists.

Violents & Monica Martin. I like Monica Martin already. She's with a band called Phox and I've posted that here before. I prefer the more "acoustic" versions of the songs, tho.
Vulfpeck. Monica Martin is featured on one of their songs, so I listened to other Vulfpeck stuff. Funky!
Andrew Bird: My Finest Work Yet. New-is album. I've already said I like Andrew Bird. This album sounds a lot more like his earlier work, which I liked more, so happy, happy!
LSD: Labrinth, Sia, Diplo: Also a new-ish album from a few months ago. I shocked my 15-year-old daughter when I said I liked this and that I knew a bunch of Sia songs. The videos are interesting, in a Yellow Submarine sort-of-way.

Back
Top Bottom