1943 Conn my baby, how much is she worry for insurance purpose

I have an old vintage, not modified in anyway, Conn from the 1940's I think. I call her the naked lady Conn as the engraving on the bell reflects. My grandad gave me the horn in the 6th grade, I'm 35 now and she still plays flawless. I am curious of a ball park value, I have her insured for $10k but I think it may have much more value. I will never sell this horn but want to know how valuable it really is. I have photos, serial number, etc. Any guidance is appreciated. -Blake

I have an old vintage, not modified in anyway, Conn from the 1940's I think. I call her the naked lady Conn as the engraving on the bell reflects. My grandad gave me the horn in the 6th grade, I'm 35 now and she still plays flawless. I am curious of a ball park value, I have her insured for $10k but I think it may have much more value. I will never sell this horn but want to know how valuable it really is. I have photos, serial number, etc. Any guidance is appreciated. -Blake

Honestly, $10K is for a perfect Selmer Mk VI. Is this horn is pristine, I would guesstimate $5K tops. Perhaps a dealer could chime in here.

Is it an Alto, Tenor, or Bari?
That would tend to affect the value a lot.

A 10M original lacquer tenor in perfect condition could get as much as $3500. A 6M alto in the same condition may bring up to $2000. If either were gold plated you could add another 25-30%. There are still too many around for these old Conns to command top dollar, even though they are great playing instruments.

Is it an Alto, Tenor, or Bari?
That would tend to affect the value a lot.
Well, if it's a factory "custom" order, you could throw sopranos and the bass in there, too.

1. "Market value" and "insurance value" are two different things. In the latter case, you're talking about how much it'd cost to get a replacement in about the same condition. Unless you have a really good insurance policy, they'd probably only insure up to the highest SOLD horn you can find in the same condition or give you enough to replace it with a modern equivalent -- in which case, you'd better hope that Conn-Selmer doesn't currently have a Conn-lableled tenor that they call "pro." :p
2. Without knowing the model, pitch, and finish, you're not going to get a good answer anywhere. (Note that "1943" could also be a late Connqueror model.)

Back
Top Bottom