A Chorus Line

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Played my first show on A Chorus Line today. I've got a total of 12 dates in the month of November on the show.

Book is clarinet/bari/contrabass clarinet in Eb/flute.

There's supposed to be bassoon as well, but they cut the double for the tour. Consequently, all of the bassoon parts are double lined for either contra or Bb clarinet.

Lots of 6/4, time changes all over the place. Fun book to play.

The first contra entry is F# on 5th line. Not the usual working range for that horn! The part goes up to Eb three lines up.

I did Chorus Line last year with clarinet, bass clarinet, and bari. It was very difficult getting the bari to sound bassoon'esque. The director was pleased that I tried to get the voice right. Not my best pit experience because the pit was in such a lousy location.

Played my first show on A Chorus Line today. I've got a total of 12 dates in the month of November on the show.

Book is clarinet/bari/contrabass clarinet in Eb/flute.

There's supposed to be bassoon as well, but they cut the double for the tour. Consequently, all of the bassoon parts are double lined for either contra or Bb clarinet.

Lots of 6/4, time changes all over the place. Fun book to play.

The first contra entry is F# on 5th line. Not the usual working range for that horn! The part goes up to Eb three lines up.

NICE!!! I just saw the show last night!

Andy thinks there's a good chance that they'll let me sit in the pit and so I asked to sit it the pit during the last week when he's playing John Johnson's chair and your are playing his chair. :eek:)

I haven't heard John Johnson play in a pit before, but I'd rather hang out!! :eek:) haha!

Last edited:
NICE!!! I just saw the show last night!

Andy thinks there's a good chance that they'll let me sit in the pit and so I asked to sit it the pit during the last week when he's playing John Johnson's chair and your are playing his chair. :eek:)

I haven't heard John Johnson play in a pit before, but I'd rather hang out!! :eek:) haha!

Too bad you won't get to hear JJ. He's a formidable player. I heard him warming up on flute yesterday - amazing power on that horn.

Too bad you won't get to hear JJ. He's a formidable player. I heard him warming up on flute yesterday - amazing power on that horn.

I heard him from the audience yesterday (I just ment I've never sat in the pit with him) :eek:) And I heard him play alto and flute and such in a big band situations so it's all good :eek:)

Time really seems to go fast. Any new stories to share?

The drummer who travels with the show was telling us about some of the less competent local musicians they've had to deal with in other place. Apparently the local band in Tempe AZ drove them to drink.

They're off to Baltimore next. Probably have a decent band there.

The drummer who travels with the show was telling us about some of the less competent local musicians they've had to deal with in other place. Apparently the local band in Tempe AZ drove them to drink.

They're off to Baltimore next. Probably have a decent band there.
Possibly. There are a lot of bars in Tempe.

I think I've mentioned, elsewhere, that I'm not overly impressed with the city orchestras out here. I've heard Mesa's, Scottsdale's, Phoenix's and Tempe's.

To give you a general idea, Phoenix is a large metro area. Directly to the east of PHX is Tempe. East of that is Mesa, where I live. North of Phoenix is Glendale and Scottsdale (and Paradise Valley); some parts of Tempe brush up to Scottsdale. Chandler's south of Mesa and Tempe.

It's a big area with big cities that run into each other. Couple-three million people.

And ... two or so woodwind techs. Hey, Buffalo, NY has more woodwind techs and less than 1/4 the people.

Tempe's the city where Arizona State University is. They do have a music school and a decent music library.

Back
Top Bottom