A Museum's Worth Of A Saxophones On eBay

You know, I bet if someone offered 157K for the horns the seller just might accept (unless they paid more for the horns themselves.) Then it would only be one new morgage.

4 years later and still for sale. Now at $155K. Hey, it's 40% less than the original asking price. And note that it's now about the price I mentioned four years ago. I also mentioned that "valueation" is only if you're being incredibly generous with each instrument.

All I can say is 'So What?'

as in Nothing really justifies the price, so what does he expect to achieve?

Doesn't make sense to me.

All he needs is one person with deep pockets.

I also wonder if these instruments have been taken out of service for the past four years. Which also makes me wonder if they all need overhauls.

He's also taken instruments out of the collection. Originally there were more in it IIRC. I'd have to look up the exact listing from years ago, and compare it to today, but the last time I looked, I remember thinking... What ever happened to.... (I just can't remember now which ones they were.)

Edit: I just checked. Originally there were 15 horns in the collection. (I didn't check which though.) I do very clearly remember the Dragon. It appears that he sold that one Conn soprano separately, and substituted other horn(s) in its place. Whatever Dr. Rick is doing, he's not unloading his boatload of vintage, heavy metal very fast. But hey, we're all paying him lots of attention, which is in the end, what I think he was after all along. :rolleyes:

Now at $175K.

I'm not quite sure what the pricing strategy is, but someone obviously missed a deal 4 months back when it was $155K :p.

It might help if Dr. Rick fixed the links in the list o' horns on his website. Speaking of, Helen's right about the changes in the lineup. Four years ago, I mentioned that there was a Grafton in the list. It's not there anymore.

This has been around so long now that it is almost a cliché.

You would think that the price would continue to drop, but perhaps the sales amount is varying dependent upon sales of individual horns elsewhere at higher or lower prices.

At any rate, trying to move it at a bulk price is probably an error on the part of the owner. Not many folks that interested in saxophones have that kind of money to invest.

It does make for a lovely picture, however...

Selling those instruments one at a time is always an option. If he gets lucky, he gets early retirement. I've considered something similar as part of my retirement package,but I'm selling stuff one at a time over an extended period.

Maybe the owner really doesn't want to sell them.

Selling those instruments one at a time is always an option. If he gets lucky, he gets early retirement. I've considered something similar as part of my retirement package, but I'm selling stuff one at a time over an extended period.
This is why it'd be a bad idea for me to open a music store: I'd want to keep all the shinies.

Well, if I ever win that lottery ....

Back
Top Bottom