Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

A special offer

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
There is a terrific saxophone pad waterproofing and protective treatment that I picked up from a clinic by JL Smith. That is to spray the pads with "Chem-Guard" plastic aerosol spray. You simply seat the pad(s) first, remove the key(s), and then spray a LIGHT coat of Chem-Guard on the pad and let dry for 10 - 15 minutes. Then you attach the key and check for leaks. You can use it on worn pads with deeper seats in them, but it is easier to apply and use on new pads with a very light seat.

I have been using this to treat all of the palm key and low Eb key pads that I replace on student rental saxes going through our shop, and the results are impressive. Even with the lack of care and cleaning some of these saxes receive, those pads are still going strong after 2, 3, and even 4 rental cycles. I simply remove the keys and clean the pad with a bit of soapy water on a Q-Tip and they are good to go. JL Smith at the time of the clinic said that he treats all of the pads on a professional overhaul with this stuff.

That's the good news. The bad news is that the Chem-Guard spray is hard to find. It is only available from a company named "Chemsearch", it is not listed on their website---you have to call and ask for it specifically, and it is only sold in cases of 12 cans @ $17.33 per can including shipping.

I have just ordered a case of 12 since we are running low in the shop. We will never use all 12 cans since a single can treats lots of pads.

So . . . . . . . If anyone on this forum is interested in buying a can, send me a PM and I will send you one for $20.00 including postage (in the US only). Outside the US the cost will be $17.00 plus the actual shipping charges.

Back
Top Bottom