Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

AAAHHH I got logged out after composing an extremely long thread!!!

Gawd I've been there--many of us have had that happen. Pete has tweaked the platform to eliminate much of this. But still it happens, I suspect, for a lot of reasons that we can't control. I know this response provides little to no solace. Just know, we feel bad for you too.

In such situations, I have found that the "Back" button is your best friend. Your browser keeps the text in the previous page (which is kept cached by your computer, not the website), and you can just step back, copy what you were working on, and then log back on to complete the posting.

It's just that simple...

In such situations, I have found that the "Back" button is your best friend. Your browser keeps the text in the previous page (which is kept cached by your computer, not the website), and you can just step back, copy what you were working on, and then log back on to complete the posting.

It's just that simple...

This didn't work. I just got the sign in page over and over, tried history also with no luck.

fyi
Safari 5.0.3 on a newish mac

Well, it still works for me.

By any chance have you disabled caching in Safari, or told the program to automatically dump old web visits? If you do not keep any browser history on hand, then there would be no older pages to go back to, and if so you are truly screwed. Bummer.

I used to purge my browser caches (also in Safari, by the way, now on an ultra newish Mac Book Air), but a review of my browsing history by my lovely wife elicited the question "Why are you bothering?" As secure websites (with credit card stuff and the like) don't seem to be retained, I agreed with her and limited my purging to the computer at work, where personnel issues with my employee group might be compromised.

But, I too have occasionally lost the internet masterpiece. In my case, it was probably for the better...something about alto clarinets causing hepatitis...

In my case, I happen to use Opera Portable (there are also Firefox and Chrome/Iron portable apps) on an encrypted hard drive, so I neither have to worry about my browsing history, nor do I have to worry about password theft. On one level, at least.

I've checked the box for "Stay Logged In" for my profile. It's been so long since I've done this, I probably have the name wrong. "Keep me logged in"? Something like that. You won't lose your posts if you have that checked.

FWIW, vBulletin doesn't like Safari much. This is more of a problem in 4.x, but I have seen some occasional weirdness in what we use (3.x). If that fact makes you want to switch to a different browser, I'm all for it, primarily because a lot of websites don't seem to like Safari. (Standard disclaimer: I also work on Macs, I used to work for Apple, I've got a nice 27" iMac at work, I've got an older MacBook at home, etc., etc.)

The other suggestion I have is to use a word or text processing application for typing long posts. I don't do that anymore because Firefox and Opera have built-in spellcheck, but it's a good alternative. I happen to really like Notepad++.

There are a couple global settings that I haven't tweaked in awhile, but I really don't want to tweak the "auto sign off if no activity in 15 minutes" because someone might be using a computer in a library or workplace and forget to sign off. Hey, I wait for about 15 minutes to prank my coworkers that forget to log off and wander away ....

As a suggestion for next time, highlight everything and hit "save" or Command+S. That way if you have been logged out, you can log back in, hit reply (or new thread), "paste" (or Command+V) and ta-da..... post is back.

If you want to be REALLY careful ... copy the whole lot to a word document before you hit post that way there's no way you can lose it.

Sorry you lost your post. I hate when that happens!!!!!!!!!!

Same basic operation here, only it's Apple key/command key-A for select all, Apple key/command key-C for copy.

Originally, Jobs was dead set against any key combinations for controlling the Macintosh, wanting instead to rely exclusively upon selection with the mouse and on screen buttons. However, the obvious superiority of the keyboard for control under certain circumstances overcame that phobia pretty early on.

I've had that happen on many a forum. This is why I now compost my lengthy "diatribes" on NOTEBOOK first, then copy and paste. ;)

Originally, Jobs was dead set against any key combinations for controlling the Macintosh, wanting instead to rely exclusively upon selection with the mouse and on screen buttons. However, the obvious superiority of the keyboard for control under certain circumstances overcame that phobia pretty early on.
One of the very few times Jobs was shouted down and proven wrong. Which makes it classic.

Back
Top Bottom