American Standard High Grade Sax pre White buy out 1918ish

I have an American Standard High Grade Saxophone that was made in the first year that Cleveland Music Company was in business, I believe in 1918 or 1916 Its serial numbers 2xx. The numbers I believe started over after it was purchased by white. This one was made before White bought Cleveland. I believe the horns made in those first 2 years were considered pro horns...

Do you have any information.. or know where I can find it....?? I lost my research and file, on the horn via a computer hard drive crash and burn .. I did the research last year, but can not find anything now??

I have just finished rebuilding it and it plays and looks great... I collect and rebuild pre 1930 horns as a hobby, I currently have 14.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi, Ron!

While I do generally say, "You got questions about identifying a horn, please take a look at http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195 and post/send the requested pics," I believe you're saying you've already identified your horn and you want us to tell you more about it, correct?

HN White allegedly purchased Cleveland Musical Instruments in 1925. Post 1925 instruments have the distinctive HN White "domed" keys.

If your horn is pre-1925, it's "pro", but that's because there wasn't really a "student line" that was out there. Even Cleveland instruments post 1925 weren't "student"; they were HN White's second line: cheaper, different, and more variable quality than the "primary" line.

IMO, "pro" means that the horn is the highest quality instrument produced by a company and it's unfair to compare between companies. Hey, is that Conn 30M any less pro than a Mark VI or an SX90R?

========

I accept your reasoning on the serial numbers, but I know of no extant pre-1925 Cleveland serial number chart.

Thank you for your response.. I will take some pictures tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to get them uploaded...

Ron

Hi Ron. If you'd like to add pictures, you can put them in an album. Just click on All Albums and then Add Album on the top left. You will be prompted what to do next. If you have problems, send Pete or me Private Message, and we'll help you out.

Thank you for the help. I have posted 10 pictures in an album (http://www.woodwindforum.com/forums/album.php?albumid=29). The thickness of the tone hole walls are extra wide... close to rolled tone hole with... I rebuilt it using kangroo pads with gold plate res... it plays top to bottom real well... especially the upper levels high d e f with ease.

Thanks for taking a look...\

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a HN White-made horn. I can tell by just looking at the keys (i.e. they're domed like all other Kings, including this 105xxx alto).

It's got a non-King G# cluster, but I can attribute that to it not being a King -- it's a Cleveland. The other keywork looks very simular to any other King.

Pretty horn, tho.

That's a HN White-made horn. I can tell by just looking at the keys (i.e. they're domed like all other Kings, including this 105xxx alto).

I had noticed the domed keys too, but didn't want to say anything until you chimed in with your thoughts. (Being the guy who wrote the virtual, picture book on vintage saxes, I bow to your expertise. ;-))... I thought the sax looked post-White to me as well. No matter what it is Ron, Pete is right, it is very pretty. Nice restoration job on it.

You mention you have other horns you have rebuilt. What are they? ... As you might be able to tell, you hit a nerve, I love vintage saxes. I too have a fair number of them. But I rely on others to rebuild them for me, so there are a number that are wall art, because either they are simply not worth the expense of having someone else rebuild them, or I can't afford to get them done at this time.

Ron: Nice looking old alto! I recently was gifted a King (H.N. White) alto (serial 713XX) that plays well, but has a rough finish. Great old horn, too.

I noticed that your left pinky table is a lot different from mine, but that may be because of the different dates - yours is obviously older than mine, but looks a whole lot better. I have an early 1920's Buescher TT alto that looks a lot like yours (equally nice finish, similar left-pinky design with the button G#). DAVE

Hi Pete,

Did you notice the thickness of the toneholes? I have not seen any other horn with this thickness of the toneholes... white, conn, buescher... even the conn wonder have thin tone holes like buescher...

You may very well be right... I have only been involved with saxophones for about 4 years and am still very much a newby I know virtually nothing of the horns I have not worked with...

When I was rebuilding this one, I saw what looked like conn, and buescher infulences... .

I recall reading that both conn and buescher worked for cleveland the first 2 years, around 1918...

I do not know much about king... Yesterday my cousin brought her post White American Standard over.. it looked late 20s early 3os... There were definte differences... The markings, (off center on bell) the finish(no satin) were different, the bore appeared smaller, and the tone holes were thin..... I did not really look at the keys, I had only about 5 min. between cilents... I am a theraputic massage therapist by trade.

You may be right and the information I gathered last year may very well have been wrong.

Helen... I bought my first horn off ebay.. a buescher true tone... The local repairman had no interest in restoring to original .. the snap ins etc... So I bought a book and ordered a set of snap ins and some tools from musicmedic and with a little phone help from them started from there... It has been a long learning process. Too me it is very rewarding and a challeng to take and old horn that has been neglected for years and making it look almost new... of course the dark sound is what makes it all worthwhile...

I have 14... 1 soparno, 1 tenor, 1 cmelody, the rest altos... I
have 1 selmer newyork... conn stencil, 1 conn new wonder, 1 cleveland, and lot of bueschers... most are in the early to mid 20s a couple of the aristocracts are in the 30's...

After I started collecting vintage horns... I started taking lessons from the local colleage professor to learn to play...

Ron: There is lots of disagreement among even old hard-core traditionalists like me about replacing snap-in pads with more modern pads. I have Bueschers of both styles and honestly, mine with modern pads play better than mine with snap-ins.

I'll offer one example - I have two Buescher straight silver-plated sopranos from 1928 (only a few thousand numbers apart). The one I had overhauled years ago using Selmer-style resos is notably livelier, resonant, and responsive. Of course, I can't prove whether or not it is the pads alone that make the difference. The one Buescher sop is my favorite of the many I own - it is my gigging soprano.

Yet, I recognize the concerns some have about altering that design. I just care more about how a horn plays than whether or not the pads are authentic. Plus, a lot of techs, like you noted, won't do the snap-ins. And I'm talking about good ones - well regarded for their work.

So, rather than ship my horn away for an overhaul, I chose to have mine done without the snap-ins. I admire your effort to learn how to do it. Best of luck with your collection. DAVE

Hi Pete,

Did you notice the thickness of the toneholes? I have not seen any other horn with this thickness of the toneholes... white, conn, buescher... even the conn wonder have thin tone holes like buescher...

Holtons have really thick tone holes (until the late models that switched to drawn holes). Soldered on like Martins, but not bevelled.

Did you notice the thickness of the toneholes?
Not really. They don't look that remarkable.

I have not seen any other horn with this thickness of the toneholes... white, conn, buescher... even the conn wonder have thin tone holes like buescher...
You're comparing a lot of different horns that shouldn't be compared :).

The Conn Wonder -- that's a Conn that was made from approximately 1895 to 1917 and isn't engraved "Worcester" and doesn't have rolled tone holes -- isn't the same as a New Wonder, which is a Conn that does have rolled tone holes, the "CG Conn LTD" stamp/engraving and the Haynes tonehole patent stamped under the thumbrest.

The Conn New Wonder and some Buescher True Tones -- the ones that don't have soldered beveled tone holes and are stamped with that patent number under the thumbrest -- were both fabricated using the Haynes tone hole creation patent, thus the tone holes are similarly made. HN White used a different patent, thus a different process.

I recall reading that both conn and buescher worked for cleveland the first 2 years, around 1918...
You've read that wrong.

CG Conn had been around practically forever and FA Buescher worked for him, and then left to form his own company, which he sold and then formed another, but they were in Indiana, not Cleveland.

I see no record saying that HN White ever worked for CG Conn.

I do not know much about king
I recommend my old website, http://saxpics.com/king and the very nice (but not mine) http://www.hnwhite.com

... Yesterday my cousin brought her post White American Standard over.. it looked late 20s early 3os... There were definte differences... The markings, (off center on bell) the finish(no satin) were different, the bore appeared smaller, and the tone holes were thin..... I did not really look at the keys
The one major thing that I stress to folks is that a specific model could have extreme variation over the years it was produced. Hey, a 2009 Chevy Malibu doesn't look like a 2001 model.

Cleveland was a "second line". I have heard that Buescher's second-line was made using old tooling and that can cause a significant variance in build quality. I see no reason to expect that HN White exempted themselves from this rule.

I had only about 5 min. between cilents... I am a theraputic massage therapist by trade.
I could use a massage. You're not in the Phoenix area, are you?

You may be right and the information I gathered last year may very well have been wrong.
Determining what is what on a vintage horn is difficult. I've just been doing it for a long time and I feel very comfortable with identifying American makes, but if someone has information that says I'm wrong, I'm always happy to see it -- well, unless I just spent 50 hours coding a webpage.

I have 14... 1 soparno, 1 tenor, 1 cmelody, the rest altos... I
have 1 selmer newyork... conn stencil, 1 conn new wonder, 1 cleveland, and lot of bueschers... most are in the early to mid 20s a couple of the aristocracts are in the 30's...
I do a little calendar every year and I'm in the process of writing a book. If you wanna send pics, you can opt for a share of the profits if I include 'em! Details: http://www.thesax.info/mediawiki-1.10.0/index.php?title=Calendar_project

Hey Pete,

Thanks for all the information... The guy I bought it from last year told me it was made during the first year that Cleveland was in business... I guess I was just mislead..

I will be happy to send some pictures. Just let me know the size that you need. If you decide to use them, just keep the money and use it for your work...

I am in Huntsville Alabama, We have a rock and gift shop, and my wife and I are LMTs.. Here is our url

http://www.dreammakershop.com

Back
Top Bottom