An experiment...

My dad is an electrical engineer, who could take a broken washing machine apart and have it up and running within hours. You would think that it rubbed off but actually, whenever I tried to fix something, he would have it out of my hands in no time and fixed, also in no time. It wasn't until I lost my temper at the age of 15 and insisted that I could fix a flat tire without intervention before things started to change. As a scientist, they have changed a lot in some respects but not when it comes to mechanical devices. I am still in awe when people possess skills for mechanics, and with my interest (understatement) in saxophones, that obviously extends to saxophone technicians. I still haven't found time to attempt a repad on my own and have accomplished nothing beyond various minor repairs and adjustment that I don't hesitate to attempt on my own.

A little while ago, I made the usual mistake of buying a used horn on the internet from someone I don't know; a horn I didn't need either. It was/is an unlacquered Yani 991(UL) alto sax. In spite of pretty pictures, I arrived covered in crud. While the horn was undamaged and the pads in good condition, it was pretty clear that the previous owner never had used a swap or at least wiped off the exterior from time to time after playing, oiled the mechanics, etc. After various mishaps in attempting to return the instrument, which the seller didn't seem inclined to go along with, I let it sit in the case for quite a while annoyed with my addicted stupidity.

A couple of weeks ago, I had enough. I disassembled the hole thing, everything save for springs and corks. I polished the horn and keys with simichrome, not quite to my satisfaction, but for a sufficient length of time that I had poked my fingers on the springs repeatyedly to deter me from continuing. Besides, I really didn't have time for this.

My wife glanced at the organized mess on the coffee table and cracked a smile. I must admit that had my worries but continued until 5AM until the horn was reassembled. At that time, I figured that my neighbors probably would appreciate if I waited until later before test driving it. To my surprise, it actually played OK down to the low Eb. So I went through the mechanism and found that I had forgotten to engage the spring for the neck octave lever. This doesn't quite make sense to me but probably will have some meaning for techs etc. Anyway, now the horn also played well all the way down to Bb. Strikingly, when I put a leak light in the horn, there appeared to be none. Perhaps this is beginners luck or maybe logical if the horn was tight before disassembly. If anyone has insights, they would be much appreciated. Rather curious about why it is still seals well.

On the domestic side, I asked my wife if she had seen the horn after I reassembled it. The response was something to the effect of "so what". I tried to redeem myself arguing that it hadn't been entirely trivial for me. To this I received the response that "women don't marry guys, who cannot get themselves and their near and dear ones out of a sticky situation". Thank you very much. I wouldn't like to know what had happened if I had failed. At least wives are replaceable, which is more than I can say for two of the horns that I own.

Last edited:
At least wives are replaceable, which is more than I can say for two of the horns that I own.
See, I'd say my horns are replaceable and not my wife Suzy. But then I 'spose it's 'cuz after 34 years of fabulousity, I just can't imagine life without her. I was wondering if that was a typeo on your part or just a joke.

Impressive indeed that you would take down a sax to it's bits and still even more so to get it all back together. That takes some patience and skills.

Last edited:
I haven't taken a horn apart in over two decades.

I'm sure I'll do it one of these days.

Steen: Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it AND I appreciated your good writing style.

I know what you mean about the lack of mechanical skill - I'm the guy who needs three nails to drive one straight. I would never attempt what you did, even though I have a basic understanding of how my horns work even to the degree that I can diagnose a problem and sometimes even fix the diagnosed problem.

But a full tear-down? Not hardly. I can write a mean check, though. DAVE

Great post. I was frustrated with incompetent techs and junk school horns my freshman year of high school when I took apart my first horn. Was a King Zephyr bari. Had it apart, oiled it, cleaned it and put it back together with no mishaps. I was shocked and addicted from then on, just overhauled a YBS-62 a couple weeks ago actually and have a King Voll-TrueII on the bench for between finals in the next couple of weeks, should be a good project, wacky wacky key system though...

Theoretically, the horns should play the same after you put it together at least from a leak stand point. You aren't changing the pads or corks/felts at all, so they should go right back to where they started. Only thing that could change is spring tensions, but those are easily adjusted.

Brasso may work a bit better on the bare brass finish. Just be VERY careful around the engraving. It is a mild abrasive so it may rub some of the engraving out if you get a little too excited. Works wonders on some of my horns though, our cymbal line uses it for their cymbals too. Don't worry, the spring pricks are normal and a normal occupational hazard.

Oh the neck thing, even a hairline leak in the octave mechanism will muck with the low register. The air pressure may have pushed it open even half a millimeter around one edge or the balance may have been off which would have cracked it.

my first sax teardown, decades ago, consisted of taking a few pieces off then back on. Like the palm and other single keys.

This made the idea of a tear down more plausible. Then as one gains courage more pieces come off and back on.

This, by the way, was when I was in high school. Mr Couf gave me my first tool back then .. a Buescher spring hook which I still use today !!

It didn't take long until i had the knowledge to put together a sax from a pile of parts. I do have to say though, the stress did go up as one goes from working on student to pro horns especially if it isn't yours.

It's fun though :-D

Last edited:
See, I'd say my horns are replaceable and not my wife Suzy. But then I 'spose it's 'cuz after 34 years of fabulousity, I just can't imagine life without her. I was wondering if that was a typeo on your part or just a joke.
I was mainly meant jokingly. Although in general, I find it hard to go through life if you don't include a grain of humor in serious matters, and that good jokes have a slight edge of truth in them. Piet Hein has a great Grook on this that I am incapable of translating.

Due to the nomad life I have led so far, it has taken quite a while to settle with someone, but I promise to get back to you in another 33 years with a more insightful opinion. :) BTW, thanks a lot for your bari advice, Gandalfe.

Steen: Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it AND I appreciated your good writing style.
Thank you for the compliment, Dave. That is a first. I struggle with writing, except for scientific publications, but they have certain mold to them. It doesn't help to be typographically challenged either.

Theoretically, the horns should play the same after you put it together at least from a leak stand point. You aren't changing the pads or corks/felts at all, so they should go right back to where they started. Only thing that could change is spring tensions, but those are easily adjusted.
I figured someone like you might come back with this rationale. It makes sense. Thanks.

Brasso may work a bit better on the bare brass finish. Just be VERY careful around the engraving. It is a mild abrasive so it may rub some of the engraving out if you get a little too excited. Works wonders on some of my horns though, our cymbal line uses it for their cymbals too. Don't worry, the spring pricks are normal and a normal occupational hazard.
I know Brasso does a better job but am/was worried about getting it off to prevent further abrasion. Simichrome on the other hand is very mild. The price you pay is black smear on your hands for a while but it is supposedly leaves a protective layer (on the horn). The oxidation doesn't bother me one bit though; the crud did. I keep my horns clean and inevitable water spots etc will be from me, not someone I don't know.

Oh the neck thing, even a hairline leak in the octave mechanism will muck with the low register. The air pressure may have pushed it open even half a millimeter around one edge or the balance may have been off which would have cracked it.
It is funny though that one doesn't notice it in the upper register, or at least only barely. I am not very good, but after Pete Thomas posted a thread asking about whether people played without the octave lever, I gave it a go and it works surprisingly well without. If only it were that easy to play above the register...

I do have to say though, the stress did go up as one goes from working on student to pro horns especially if it isn't yours.
Only because you are a nice person. I stressed plenty over my horn :)

Last edited:
I'm against using any abrasive. There are too many good non-abrasive polishes out there.

BTB, if you need a spring hook, a crochet hook works just fine and they cost about 50 cents ....

Back
Top Bottom