Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Another F Mezzo for sale... <sigh>

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Last edited by a moderator:
Better linky for generic Conn F instrument info: http://saxpics.com/conn/f_horns.htm

$3K to $4K is generally around what these horns sell for. The one you mention looks like it needs an overhaul.

I just bought a minty Conn F mezzo soprano sax from Quinn the Eskimo. (He works down the hall from me right now.) Can't wait to get it home to try it. Now, how can I incorporate it into my quartet? I suspect I'll have many hours of transposing some soprano parts in my near future. :cool:

Congrats! Pictures? Pricing? Condition? Mouthpiece? Case? People want to know!!!! DAVE

Congrats! Pictures? Pricing? Condition? Mouthpiece? Case? People want to know!!!! DAVE
Pictures to come as I just got the horn at work about an hour ago.
Pricing, I told Quinn I wouldn't tell anyone. He could have gotten more for it, but not by much.
Condition is like new.
Mouthpeice is Theo Wanne mezzo piece.
Case is very nice but not new looking.

Okay, I understand about the pricing. How much difference is there between a Bb soprano mouthpiece and the Wanne mezzo piece (size, design)?

I know a guy who lives on California's Central coast who has an F-mezzo and he plays it FUNKY (but very nicely within the trad-jazz style). DAVE

Okay, I understand about the pricing. How much difference is there between a Bb soprano mouthpiece and the Wanne mezzo piece (size, design)?

I know a guy who lives on California's Central coast who has an F-mezzo and he plays it FUNKY (but very nicely within the trad-jazz style). DAVE
The pricing is close to the one that sold on eBay this week. I'll try to measure the mouthpiece tomorrow night. Tonight is *band* night with three hours of joy! (Happy dance to commence in 5, 4, 3, ...) :cool:

I just bought a minty Conn F mezzo soprano sax from Quinn the Eskimo. (He works down the hall from me right now.) Can't wait to get it home to try it. Now, how can I incorporate it into my quartet? I suspect I'll have many hours of transposing some soprano parts in my near future. :cool:

i wondered where he got all his money to buy those horns in the first place... lol

When you are ready to join my self-help group therapy club, let me know.

How much difference is there between a Bb soprano mouthpiece and the Wanne mezzo piece (size, design)?
I'd suspect that the design is closer to an Eb alto 'piece than a Bb soprano.

Gandalfe, you've gotta get one of Peter Jessen's G mezzos. Then you'll be all set :).

What I'd like to hear is a classical sax quartet that first uses Bb soprano, Eb alto, Bb tenor and Bb bass and then the same quartet using C soprano, F alto (mezzo-soprano, if you prefer), C melody tenor and a C bass -- if you can find one.

Just as a comparison, y'know. That'd be fun.

What I'd like to hear is a classical sax quartet that first uses Bb soprano, Eb alto, Bb tenor and Bb bass and then the same quartet using C soprano, F alto (mezzo-soprano, if you prefer), C melody tenor and a C bass -- if you can find one.

Years ago, my father saw a "C and F saxophone quartet" at a saxophone convention that featured a C soprano, F mezzo, C melody and "F baritone"

However, the F baritone later turned out to be a high pitch Eb baritone. I still can't imagine how the quartet didn't sound like a hive of bees.

Everytime I see an f alto, I think of the theme song of the old tv show/movie short feature, "Little Rascals." The tune is called "The Good Old Days'" or something like that. It featured a beautiful f mezzo playing the lilting, melancholy melody. I love the haunting quality of the horn playing this melody.

The story of how many of these beautiful instruments ended up is a very sad one indeed.

Julian

Back
Top Bottom