Another F Mezzo

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Conn F Mezzo for sale

I'm too lazy to look up how to insert a post before the first post, so I'll do it manually. So, here it is:

-----------------

Oh, gee. There's another one on sale on eBay.

Making my life a lot easier, here's a current list of the F Mezzo horns in this thread (links are to picture galleries and/or the ad):

* funkyjazsax - s/n 21x,xxx - SOLD - $7875.
* Quinn - s/n 213606 - SOLD - $7200.
* GetASax - s/n 213804 - STILL FOR SALE -$7500 (06-28-12) (rechecked on 08-21-12)
* lesaxshoppe - s/n ? - SOLD - $5799.
* Quinn - s/n 213927 - $7200. SOLD.
* saxophonedepot*com - s/n 216030 - STILL FOR SALE - $7495. (Now $7100 on 06-28-12.) ($6699 on 08-21-12.)
* saxquest.com - s/n 213735 - SOLD.
* TenorMadness.com - s/n 213xxx - SOLD.
* Saxquest.com - s/n 213855 - "call for price" (06-28-12)

------------------

Not included above is Gandalfe's. I don't have the s/n handy, but his horn was in both my 2011 and 2012 calendars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Monty condition? Like, Monty Python? As in, "I'm not dead, yet!"?

Yah. The seller is asking for a lot more than I generally see these sell for, which is a max of around $4500 -- if there's an original enamel or gold plated one out there, that might be a different story. However, it's an interesting little horn.

Hopefully it's not the full Monty... :tongue: :emoji_smile:

For those of you that own these, it looks like your investment is appreciating ....

I was thinking that too. What's up with that anyway? They seem to be one of the only vintage horns that is going up in value. (Take Selmer out of the mix for a minute.) Sure there was a finite number of them made, yada, yada, yada... But, there are other oddities that are just as rare, or rarer, that aren't seeing that kind of price escalation.

It is a very nice horn, with a good case. There is no mention of the mouthpiece, so I assume it is missing - a big deal. Also, no end plug or "Conn" sticker inside the case lid - not a big deal.

They want $7,500.00 to send me the horn in the same condition as the one I bought from Quinn. If their sax sells, I guess I did OK.

Well, the two F horns from Conn have always been valuable. I do know that the F Mezzo was holding steady around the $4K mark for a long time. The Conn-O, in realistic ads is generally north of $10K. In unrealistic ads, I've seen $100K.

The Conn F horns are valuable because they're both in an odd pitch (F, of course) and because there weren't that many made. The Conn-O has the added advantage of being a horn that was in a distinctly odd shape. The only other horn that I've seen that has a combo of odd shape, rare and (possibly) odd key (i.e. F) is the ca. 1900 Pelisson curved baritone. I've seen all of one of those, though.

Most other extremely expensive vintage saxophones fall into the following categories:

* Made by Adolphe or his son (pre-Selmer).
* High-end vintage basses, like a late gold-plated Conn 14M with a keyed range to high F.
* Contrabasses.
* Owned by someone extremely famous and you can document the heck outta it, like Charlie Parker's Grafton that sold for over $100K.
* Selmer Mark VI altos and tenors.

I don't even think that some of the interesting prototypes that are around, like the HN White Bb sopranissimo, could fetch over $10K.

FWIW, there are at least two other manufacturers of F altos: Adolphe Sax (at least one) and Kohlert. I'd bet that there are a couple other Germanic manufacturers that made F altos, too, just to say that they made a s full a line of saxophones as Kohlert. If I'd have to guess, I'd think Adler. Maybe WA Stowasser, considering they had contras.

Sold: Conn F Mezzo ~ $4000 for my friends

I have a gorgeous Conn F Mezzo that I will be listing on eBay starting at $4000. It comes with original, functional case, original top plug (metal), and plays in tune from top to bottom (Paul Woltz did some wedges in the palm keys to make that possible.

Pictures and story of this horn at http://biskey7.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/conn-f-mezzo-soprano-sax/

If you want to buy from me now, let me know. Ships from Seattle. For my friends I'll even throw in a marvelous quartet arrangement that Merlin did for me with the F Mezzo on lead. Here is a video of me doing that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7sXaBkRC8 (I apologize for the squeek, as I had just picked up the instrument with a dry reed.)

You could use another, Groove! Think of the trios with your Conn-O and two F mezzos!

Grafton, Conn F Mezzo

Another couple horns found when I was looking for something completely unrelated. As always, I mention them because I know that some of y'all want 'em and/or are interested to see how much value your horn might have increased, not because I'm selling them or even know the seller.
Grafton. Price is "Make an Offer." Comments: keyguards are broken and all copper/brass pieces are extremely worn.

Conn F Mezzo. $7950.00. Yes, this horn is virtually perfect. However, Gandalfe's was too. If you missed out on his, now you have an idea of how much you'll have to pay :). Looks like it has the original Conn "eagle" mouthpiece.

Did you really sell you Mezzo-Soprano Gandalfe? When was that? I noticed that Matt sold your Toneking 3000 last week. What's the world coming to? You're not selling off any tenors, are you?:emoji_rage:

Pretty horn. $7500.

Plug: Matt Stohrer did the overhaul. He's contributed a bunch of pics to my calendars.

Seems that there have been quite a few F mezzos for sale, recently.

Back
Top Bottom