Anyone know anything about Jean Paul USA Clarinets?

I'm 43 and want to learn to play the clarinet. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on an instrument. I have done some research on some brands, and one I came across is Jean Paul. All I found are positive reviews and no negative ones, which makes me a little apprehensive about it. I found them going around $200 for a student, and $359 for an intermediate. Are there any thoughts on this brand?

No one has responded so I'll give my opinion. I started on Clarinet many years ago and took it up again a few years ago when our community band needed a clarinet player.

These "Jean Paul" clarinets are likely inexpensive attempts to produce a musical instrument probably made in the PROC or maybe Viet Nam. I have not picked one up and inspected it , or played it, but there are a lot of Clarinet shaped objects out there that have issues with build quality, and due to the use of inexpensive materials, are difficult to keep in adjustment. I don't know how they receive all of those positive reviews.

I bought a Selmer Series 9 that I like. They can be found on E-Bay and probably elsewhere like Reverb for $300.00 - $400.00 plus maybe the cost of minor adjustments. For that modest amount you get an early 60's Professional Selmer Paris wooden Clarinet. Clarinets depreciate, and a good used horn can be found for little money.

Yamahas are considered solid instruments, more info on Clarinets here:

The Clarinet BBoard (woodwind.org)

Last edited:
My peer-reviewed advice :D.

I'll add to that and make things a bit easier: contact Quinn, our forum sponsor, and he'll fix you up with something decent. @Gandalfe if you have any better contact advice, please do post. If Quinn doesn't have something that fits your price range, I'd recommend trying Kessler Music.

I'm being a bit lazy, offering the above as advice, but I remember, a couple years ago, that Quinn had literally hundreds of new student Selmer or Buffet clarinet kits he was selling really cheap, $150 or $250, IIRC. With warranty, also IIRC.

===========

Let me put a disclaimer on BSG!'s advice (and that's an excellent price for a Series 9): have your instructor look at before buying. Your instructor should know if clarinet X has any hidden damage that would make the horn unplayable. Boorsman, I just want you to have a good start in the world of clarinet playing!

I'll add to that and make things a bit easier: contact Quinn, our forum sponsor, and he'll fix you up with something decent.

I send all my family and friends to Brass and Winds (linked above as Quinn, the owner) because of the quality and service they provide. If it's good enough for my favorite people, maybe it's worth taking a look at?

My peer-reviewed advice :D.

I'll add to that and make things a bit easier: contact Quinn, our forum sponsor, and he'll fix you up with something decent. @Gandalfe if you have any better contact advice, please do post. If Quinn doesn't have something that fits your price range, I'd recommend trying Kessler Music.

I'm being a bit lazy, offering the above as advice, but I remember, a couple years ago, that Quinn had literally hundreds of new student Selmer or Buffet clarinet kits he was selling really cheap, $150 or $250, IIRC. With warranty, also IIRC.

===========

Let me put a disclaimer on BSG!'s advice (and that's an excellent price for a Series 9): have your instructor look at before buying. Your instructor should know if clarinet X has any hidden damage that would make the horn unplayable. Boorsman, I just want you to have a good start in the world of clarinet playing!
I went out to Quinn's website and there's not a single clarinet out there that's under $1000. Most are many thousands of dollars, way out of the reach us everyday Joe's.

I did say contact. Quinn's stock changes rapidly. I also suggested Kessler. There are a few clarinets he's got listed on his website for significantly less than $1000 and, if you contact him, he might have something else in stock that he hasn't listed on his website, yet.

Back
Top Bottom