Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Attaching A Wireless Microphone Transmitter To A Saxophone

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
I happened to come across a video that SOTW Administrator Bill Mecca made, that showed a simple clamp he devised for attaching a wireless microphone transmitter to a saxophone. This clamp is based on an idea Bill got from John Laughter.

I've been looking for a way to attach my wireless transmitter to my horn for some time, but haven't wanted to strap it to the bell like most other players do. So I've simply ended up wearing it in a cell phone case on my belt, since the original vinyl belt pack tore.

I'm going to try Bill's clamp, since it will work well on my Selmer and late model 10M. I don't know how it will work on the Martin with simple wire keyguards. I also realize it won't work if I'm doing a show where I'm doubling on more than 1 sax.

So I was wondering, what do you folks who play on wireless systems use? Do you just clip the transmitter to your belt? Do you strap it to your horn? Do you use a clamp similar to Bill's? Or do you have one of the new, fancy systems where it's built into the clip?

I clip it to my belt. Bill's transmitter looks like the same kind I have. I typically play several instruments during a show, so I have to keep the transmitter on me and connect and disconnect the various mics as I swap horns. Thanks for sharing the video.

I don't get it prosax. Mnozil Brass uses clip-on mics. Is that what you were trying to say?

I looked at their website. I'm sure they use them, but after about 200 photos, I gave up. I have to yet see one of their horns with a mic attached. (I'm sure there are pics there. I probably just looked at the wrong albums.)

Most groups that have horns in them nowadays, use clip-on mics, and those mics are usually wireless.

BTW, in the future when you mention a group, it would be a good idea to provide a link to their website to make it easier for others to find. We're a helpful bunch over here, and we try to make it as easy as possible for others to see what we're talking about.

I don't get it prosax. Mnozil Brass uses clip-on mics. Is that what you were trying to say?

I looked at their website. I'm sure they use them, but after about 200 photos, I gave up. I have to yet see one of their horns with a mic attached. (I'm sure there are pics there. I probably just looked at the wrong albums.)

Most groups that have horns in them nowadays, use clip-on mics, and those mics are usually wireless.

BTW, in the future when you mention a group, it would be a good idea to provide a link to their website to make it easier for others to find. We're a helpful bunch over here, and we try to make it as easy as possible for others to see what we're talking about.

I looked on you tube video's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLm747tyn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhjO_H004v8

Thanks for the links prosax! These guys are great. I'd never heard of them before... But then I must admit I'm a bit of a woodwind snob. ;-)

I have a Shure transmitter that I velcro onto my sax bell. Or, you can, depending on your sax, use the clip on the key guard on the left of the lower register.

Back
Top Bottom