B-12's, E-11's, Evettes, Germany, France and China

So far I have just been putzing around with with a few victims of three to four years of high school band. Minlybecause I can buy them for about $20.00 and there can't be that many permutations of clarinet anatomy, so I can pretty much figure out how they fit together. I've been taking them apart and putting them back together, changing out pads and corks and such, nothing serious, just teaching myself how they go together. Now I'm ready to choose a clarinet to actually learn to play. I think that I have it narowed down to either a Buffet B-12 or aBuffet E-11. Why, you ask? Because I've heard good things about these instruments both here and elsewhere. I have also heard some pretty disturbing things about these guys. One is that a large percentage of those that are for sale out there are Chinese clones not worth the powder it would take to blow your nose. I see them advertised for prices ranging from too low to be believable to HOLY BANKRUPTCY, BATMAN!!!! I see some models advertised as made in France, but I also have read here that some of them were never made in France......hmmmm. Some are wood, some are composite, some are "vintage", some are made by Buffet Crampon, some are made by someone else. I'm confused. Where were they made, by whom and when? In plain simple language, what are the good ones and what are the lemons? Which are the real ones and which are the clones? And another thing. What the heck is an Evette? Is that another name for one of these, a different manufacturer or a seperate model?

> there can't be that many permutations of clarinet anatomy
Yes. Yes, there can.

>
I think that I have it narrowed down to either a Buffet B-12 or a Buffet E-11
The B-12 is a step above the bottom-level student horn (B-10) that's generally plastic. The E-11 is an intermediate student horn that's generally wood. Currently, Buffet isn't making a Bb E11, just C and Eb. Buffet's offerings.

Where the horn was made is dependent upon how old the horn is and possibly other factors, too. The country of manufacture will be stamped on the horn, though. You want one stamped "Made in France." "Made in Germany" isn't bad, either.

The Evette lines are a little different. They're generally intermediate level horns. Some of them were extremely good. Some weren't available outside Europe. For a lot of info, check out our CE Steve Sklar's website.

============

The problem is that you're trying to get a general answer about a company that's been around for almost 200 years. There have been a lot of variations in that time, so it's very hard to say, "Oh. You have a Buffet B-12 that has a serial number of 123,456. That's a plastic horn made in Germany by Hans Moleman on July 5th, 2010. Hans had a bad cold that day and left early."

I've played some very, very good, very cheap B-12s and E-11s. I can also see spending $20 on a horn that has $400 worth of problems. If I wanted to buy a horn worth fixing up, I'd start by getting a really good professional horn. Older pro clarinets are quite plentiful on eBay and most of the inexpensive ones do need repairs. A couple of "non-standard" names to look for are SML and Couesnon.

You should also keep in mind that manufacturers have consolidated over the years. Thus, Everett was acquired by Buffet. They also picked up Boosey Hawkes in England.

Selmer created both the Signet brand as well as their student line Bundy. Leblanc created Vito as well as their intermediate brand.

And now, a conglomerate under the Steinway moniker has acquired the Selmer firm and the Leblanc firm. Just why they have bought them puzzles some in the finance world (and me as well); theories have arisen that they are going to keep some of the assets, and sell off the rest.

The smaller European firms are so confusing that I can't keep track of them, but rest assured there are those hereon who are in the know.

Pete and SOTSDO thank you both for your replies. They are very helpful. Pete, in response to one of your comments, I don't worry too much about what an instrument is "worth or will be worth" when I choose it for vivisection. I am more concerned with the experience of dealing with a variety of different clarinets and what will they initially cost me. Whether or not I'll get my investment back is secondary. I feel like I am investing in a self inflicted education more than anything else. As to the "off or little heard of brands" I have what I think might be one of those. It is a bottom of the line Bel Canto model Penzel Mueler that I'm keeping in my pocket for a later day, and I've just now come across a Penzel Mueler Artist model for next to nothing that I will hopefully be buying in the next few days. But all of this still does not resolve my original need. I need a good student clarinet to learn how to play. So, will either the E-11 or the B-12 do the trick for me and which would be better? So, why don't I use one of the half dozen Bundy, Selmer, Normandy, etc. cheapo student horns that I have tortured with a screwdriver and an alcohol lamp? Because I will have enough problems trying to learn to play using a perfectly functioning, well regulated instrument and I don't want to have to deal with any problems inadvertantly injected by me. I mean, would you trust my work?

If the E-11 is an intermediate horn and the B-12 is a student horn, then E-11 > B-12 -- all other things being equal.

My suggestion has always been in the form of:

* Get an instructor that actually plays clarinet as his main horn. Don't get an instructor that is a trumpet player (say) and happens to know some clarinet stuff.
* As your instructor what he recommends. If he doesn't have a recommendation, get a different instructor.

Personally, I recommend:

* The best used Yamaha horn you can afford. The higher the first number, the better the horn. For example, a Yamaha 275 is a student horn (number starts with a 2) and a Yamaha 34 is an intermediate horn (number starts with a 3). Yamaha intermediate/pro horns start with a 4 or 5. Yamaha pro horns start with a 6, 7, or 8.
* A Selmer C85 mouthpiece. Hard rubber. If you can't afford it, get a Vandoren B40. The stock mouthpiece that comes with most Yamahas is pretty decent, but not as good as the Vandoren it's copied from. Remember: a decent mouthpiece is as important as getting a decent horn.
* A stock ligature will work just fine. If I'm forced, to choose, I'll say that I'm partial to the Gigliotti ligatures (or the SOTSDO Special Ligature, if Terry has any left).
* Get three or four 2 1/2 strength ("medium soft") reeds. Inexpensive ones. Your instructor will be tweaking what you use, so no need to buy a box of 50.

Back
Top Bottom