Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Heckelphone

Double Reed CE
Staff member
CE/Moderator
If you haven't heard of Edmund Welles, you should at least check out the samples available on their website, or at CDBaby. Edmund Welles is a bass clarinet quartet (yes, four bass clarinets) that plays "heavy chamber music", based in Oakland, California. Expect something between jazz and post-classical. They even have a cover of "Big Bottom" by Spinal Tap. Unique!

Enjoy!

Grant

Edmund Welles Rocks!

Some strange stuff in that world. Very interesting, but not necessarily for the masses me thinks.

When you get right down to it, clarinet is not for the masses either ;-)

I have three daughters, who all play instruments. #1 - flute/picc/guitar; #2 - alto/soprano saxes/cello; #3 - clarinet/bass clarinet/bari sax (yeah, maybe they inherited something from their father...). My favorite game in the car is "what's that instrument?" on the stereo. In my car, of course, that could be anything from Chapman Stick to theorbo, soprillo to contraforte. They grew up with this stuff, hearing, seeing, and sometimes playing, a variety of off-the-beaten-track instruments. Its still a challenge for them.

If its a challenge for them, what about for your average listener? I'd bet that most people can tell a clarinet from a saxophone, but they're not really aware of the fact that there are quite a few different sizes of sax (maybe they know about alto and tenor, and possibly soprano, but bass sax is terra incognito to them. Contrabass sax? Sopranino? Tubax? Fugedaboutit!). Most people can't distinguish between an oboe and a bassoon (much less a sarrusophone).

So perhaps this is music specifically for musicians -- but that's probably who is reading these posts, no? I think there are enough musicians around that such stuff has a definite niche :emoji_relaxed:

Go back and listen to The Butcher of Andalusia. There's some good stuff in there. I think these guys definitely have talent. :cool:

Enjoy,

Grant

Some strange stuff in that world. Very interesting, but not necessarily for the masses me thinks.

When you get right down to it, clarinet is not for the masses either ;-)

I don´t think I'm out of topic, you will tell, but...... Is the Violoncello for the masses? Maybe you know a cello quartet called Apocalyptica that may have us think about it. :idea:

This is a studio recording featuring just the quartet playing Enter Sandman, from Metallica.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH78E_xstdI&feature=related

This one is a live recording, of the same song, where they used drums to make it heavier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tN6_1dJveM

After this second video I ask again: is the Violoncello for the masses?:eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom