Bass or Bb Sop Clarinet? or Sax?

I (shudder) concur. It looks like an alto clarinet mouthpiece for a French system instrument. (Has anyone ever made a German "Oehler" system alto? Or, do they have more sense in my homeland than that?)

But I inspected alto- and bass-clarinet MPCs in the store - for French and for German bore. Both of them were wider bored than my MPC. Has anyone the typical bore (tenon intake) diameters of bass and alto clarinet MPCs? I couldn't find it in the web yet ;-(

Please take a look onto this site - bore diameters: http://www.henriselmerparis.com/clarinets/specifications.php (all altos/basses significant wider than 14,8mm).

In our home board they expected, this MPC could be a saxophone MPC postmilled to fit the clarinet barrel. I found for this the inner diameter should be 16,4mm or 16,8mm, isn't so? But is 14,8mm without any sleeve inside.

kindly
Roman

PS: Tenorsax reeds fit well (only to large in the length), alto's I couldn't get at the moment. But I will test it furthermore.

Once upon a time I had an Uebel Bass clarinet (German system). Its mouthpiece was the size of a standard(ish) French Alto clarinet mouthpiece. So I wouldn't be surprised if eg a German Alto piec was smaller than a French one as well..

The German made mouthpieces that I have seen all have the randing (grooves) cut to hold the string ligature around where the French mouthpieces would seat their ligature. No such grooves in evidence here, though.

The German made mouthpieces that I have seen all have the randing (grooves) cut to hold the string ligature around where the French mouthpieces would seat their ligature. No such grooves in evidence here, though.
I've got an authentic German A clarinet mouthpiece with no grooves. Yes, it is specific to a German system A clarinet and not playable on a standard Buffet Bb or A. While the grooves would help identification, lack of grooves is not definitive.

Most modern MPCs for German bore do not show these mentioned grooves. Some of them are "unisex" models with French/German properties both and with smooth surface for metal ligatures. Outer measurement is French mostly (Zinner blanks f.i.). Some vintage models own these grooves, but not the modern at all.

But it would be very uncommon to find a German MPC with "jazzed" design. Most of them are selled to philharmonic and more traditional musicians. Therefore a French style would be more typical.

kindly
Roman

I can see a scenario where this may have come about:

1) Saxophone player decides to get into the high profit line of clarinet playing, on his own, without any teacher/mentor intervention

2) Erstwhile saxophone player discovers, to his chagrin, that his classic saxophonic embouchure does not function well on the clarinet

3) Player decides to take matters into his own hands, thinking that the problem must lay in the choice of the wrong mouthpiece, a common enough saxophone player belief for anything having to do with the tone

4) Player decides that, if XYZ brand 'piece works well on his sax, it would probably work as well on a clarinet if only it could be made to fit

5) Player has access to a friend with an electric motor and a big enough chuck

6) Friend, rolling his eyes the while, turns down the shank, cuts the groove for the cork, and hands it over.

7) Player tries his new mouthpiece for about thirty seconds, then decides to recover some of the initial investment by selling it on the secondary market

We measured the bore - and the way sax-lathe-clarinet came a tale ;-) We didn't find any sax MPC to drill/mill a MPC of this dimensions from.
One way a bore-sleeve would be mandatory (but it isn't a sleeve inside, it's homogenous), the other way a smaller MPC for a sax would be necessary (but such a small MPC for sax we couldn't find too).
Will be a mystery in future still...

kindly
Roman

PS: MPC was tested now by 2 sax players and 2 clarinetists (all of them skilled experts). Both decided to attest a good intonation (not expected before due to the strange geometry) and loudness like a sax. Was interesting to hear about - from pros.

Back
Top Bottom