Beauty and the Beast

I just got my reed 3 book for Beauty and the Beast last week!

The book is flute/a TONNNN of clarinet/ and bass clarinet. (my first show with NO sax)

I'm sooooo excited for rehearsals!!! I can't wait to play through the show with the rest of the band :eek:).

So there's no sax on any of the parts? Suzy's taking our granddaughter Amber to Beauty next month here. She's four and wants to be a clarinetist when she gets older. She watches her brother suffer through lessons and tries to help him count.

So there's no sax on any of the parts? Suzy's taking our granddaughter Amber to Beauty next month here. She's four and wants to be a clarinetist when she gets older. She watches her brother suffer through lessons and tries to help him count.

That is soooooo cute!!!! :eek:)!!!

Nopes, no sax ...

Reed 1 --- flute/pic
Reed 2 --- oboe/english horn
Reed 3 --- flute/clarinet/bass clarinet

That is soooooo cute!!!! :eek:)!!!

Nopes, no sax ...

Reed 1 --- flute/pic
Reed 2 --- oboe/english horn
Reed 3 --- flute/clarinet/bass clarinet

Which production/theatre company is doing it?

The Stratford Community Players are doing it this Feb, so I might end up doing it too.

About half of the shows that I've done over the years have been clarinet only books. It's a lot more common than you think, particularly if you get back in the days of Rogers & Hammerstein or into the less "jazz" oriented shows of modern days.

My daughter used to accompany me to shows when there was room in the pit for her to sit. She would help me with page turns and the more extreme horn changes, and in general was a pleasure to be around.

However, on one of my many productions of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, she permanently injured me in an unbelievable way.

I had the quick horn change from baritone sax to bass clarinet in "Bring Me My Bride", and in this production there was virtually no pause at the "My bride!" line that starts the main portion of the tune. My usual procedure is to spike the baritone down and snatch the bass up off of my lap, but since I had Laura Ann there I would instead drop the baritone into her waiting hands and then pick the bass up off of the stand.

However, on the evening in question, I had my fingers more meshed into the rods on the baritone, and thus could not get my hand free before she started to pull it away. The resultant snatch, with the momentum imparted by the moving mass of the horn attached to my hand, tore my rotator cuff, something that I've had diagnosed but did not get fixed in time.

I did manage to stifle the scream that I wanted to let out. Sort of like suppressing a sneeze, only much more painful.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be doing Beauty and the Beast this winter.
Finally a chance to play bass clari!
How does the flute part look? If it's not too bad for an intermediate flautist I may be able to manage the whole book.

Which production/theatre company is doing it?

The Stratford Community Players are doing it this Feb, so I might end up doing it too.

Nice! :eek:)! ... it's with RCMPI ... Royal City Musical Productions Inc ... in Guelph! ... Elizabeth Roach (bari major) at humber is playing reed 1 ... you may know her.

If you do it what book are you playing???

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be doing Beauty and the Beast this winter.
Finally a chance to play bass clari!
How does the flute part look? If it's not too bad for an intermediate flautist I may be able to manage the whole book.

Oooh ... that's fun! ... I wish this book had MORE bass clarinet than it does.

I don't have the book with me (it's in my locker) so I'll comment in more detail later ... but you may be fine with it. I don't know what my level is per say so it's hard for me to judge.

In terms of me ... I've been playing flute for two years ... I played flute 1/ pic in doubling choir last year ... and currently I'm in two latin bands on only flute at school ... playing slow to very fast tempos with parts from low C to HIGH C and 90% of the stuff I play in my one ensemble is all above the staff.

Nice! :eek:)! ... it's with RCMPI ... Royal City Musical Productions Inc ... in Guelph! ... Elizabeth Roach (bari major) at humber is playing reed 1 ... you may know her.

If you do it what book are you playing???

What I'd like to do is the oboe/EH book.

What I'd like to do is the oboe/EH book.

I thought so. :eek:)

Merlin, the savior of community theater! (as you know it's SOOOO hard to find double reed anything let alone doublers that double on double reeds) Watch as he fights with his arsenal of double reeds!!

See how the light glistens off of his Noble steed, the bass saxophone.

(don't ask... I'm in a wacky mood today!! ... i guess I'm excited for my party later hahaha)

That is a great book from what I hear off of the recording. A lot of solos and nice lines (though I'm sure there's the headache parts too ... there ALWAYS is!! HAHAHA)

Well my practicing of the reed 3 book is going quite well. I'm at the point now where I can do the majority of it.... still working the tricky parts.

I've had to add a good 4 notes onto my clarinet range. F# G G# and A... I don't think the book has a G# in it, but it seems pointless to learn F# G A but not G#.

There's quite a few solos on clarinet that are high/exposed and somewhat fast. They are driving me nuts!! ... hahahaaaa!

I'm working on the book with Andy tomorrow in lesson !!!! yay!! ... First rehearsal is Friday! :eek:)

How high is 'HIGH', and how fast is 'FAST' on those clarinet solos?
I have a feeling......I'm so screwed.

The challenge is good for me, the challenge is good for me, the challenge is.........

How high is 'HIGH', and how fast is 'FAST' on those clarinet solos?
I have a feeling......I'm so screwed.

The challenge is good for me, the challenge is good for me, the challenge is.........

The highest note I have found so far is A an octave above the first ledger line above the staff ... there's a lot of stuff in the F top line of the staff to above the F or G above that.

But like any good musical it goes through every key and a whole range of tempos.

the entire range of the clarinet is covered from low E to A an octave above the 1st ledger line above the staff --- I'll let you know if I come across anything higher.

The Flute ranges from the lower end (low F I think is the lowest ... just guessing) to the highest notes (high C above C, 2 ledger lines above the staff) ... but some of that I'm sure you could take down and no one would notice.

The Bass Clarinet part does straight ahead bass clarinet stuff with some fun solos.

I obviously don't know your level ... but if you will have time to prepare the part you'll be fine. On top of that it will be a great workout for your clarinet chops! :eek:)

I'll let you know how I do on the rehearsal on Friday. :eek:)

OOH KAAY,

I'm I guess an advanced amateur. My 'chops' are in great shape. It's getting the eyes, brain, and fingers working as a team that I sometimes have issues with.
I'm 47. Things don't work as fast as they useta' could. :p

I shouldn't have too much trouble with clari and bass clari. I'll wait 'til I get the book to decide if I'm ready to make my public debut on flute.

Thank you!

Well we had our first rehearsal with the cast ... it went quite well.

Here's the painful thing ... orchestra arrives .... orchestra tunes to extremely out of tune church piano (we are in the theatre on Saturday for a sound check ... yay no more crappy piano) ... oboe player arrives give's us a nice A=440... we are supposed to re-tune to the oboe player ... good I can use my tuner effectively again. However a) I doubt everyone got retuned ... b) regardless the piano is very outt...

SO things sounded ok ... but it's really hard to tune when there are a "million" versions of the "correct" pitch.

TEE HEE HEEE!!! oh the joy!

In other news I can't wait for soundcheck on Saturday. While this is my 4-5th "offical" musical and I've done 4-5 cabaret type things I have NEVER playing INNNN a pit. I've always been on stage or off to the side in theatres without pits.

So this is going to be my first experience in a pit with micing and monitoring etc.!!! YAY!!!

So this is going to be my first experience in a pit with micing and monitoring etc.!!! YAY!!!

In the pit is different. Be very aware of hand gestures directed at you. You won't hear people on the other side of the pit when you are playing and you need to follow the conductor, in spite of what your ears tell you. If crap happens it is his job to decide how to deal with it. If you are the only one to jump to where the singer actually is when they drop a line or come in early/late, you will be the one in trouble. Let the conductor do his job on balancing you too.

Get there as early as is possible, within reason. Space is at a premium and you will want to stake yours out.

One last thing. See if the house has a policy on mirrors in the pit. Some do not want them used, others don't care one way or the other.

In the pit is different. Be very aware of hand gestures directed at you. You won't hear people on the other side of the pit when you are playing and you need to follow the conductor, in spite of what your ears tell you. If crap happens it is his job to decide how to deal with it. If you are the only one to jump to where the singer actually is when they drop a line or come in early/late, you will be the one in trouble. Let the conductor do his job on balancing you too.

Get there as early as is possible, within reason. Space is at a premium and you will want to stake yours out.

One last thing. See if the house has a policy on mirrors in the pit. Some do not want them used, others don't care one way or the other.

The conductor is going to try to get us a mirror or two so we can watch when we aren't playing. :eek:)

Thanks for the advice :eek:) I already knew 99% of that, but it's nice to be reminded :eek:). Good point on staking out pit space. I'm not worried because the pit is a decent size and I play more instruments than anyone else 'cept percussion... but better be pro active about it ;o)

One of the benifits of being in the pit and having a child in the cast is that you are able to watch the rehersals.
I follow with my book and pencil in lines/cues, cuts, and tempo. My metronome has a 'flash' only setting so it comes in handy.

The only bad thing about being in the pit and having a child in the cast is that I never get to actually see her perform.

In other news I can't wait for soundcheck on Saturday. While this is my 4-5th "offical" musical and I've done 4-5 cabaret type things I have NEVER playing INNNN a pit. I've always been on stage or off to the side in theatres without pits.

At least you've spent a lot of time watching shows in pro pits thanks to your teachers. It's an advantage most first timers don't have.

At least you've spent a lot of time watching shows in pro pits thanks to your teachers. It's an advantage most first timers don't have.

Exactly! I'm soooo fortunate. I love hanging out in pits.

Back
Top Bottom