Bee Wax on Reeds?

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I found this on the web somewhere: A couple of months ago "Tony F" suggested that beeswax on the back of my reeds might extend their play in upper altissimo (I've had a long standing problem with top notes not lasting through a play session).

Has anyone had any luck with this process making reeds last longer? My best trick is the buff the back of a new reed on a piece of plexiglass until it is smooth. Seems to double the life of the reed and make it speak better.

Beeswax on reeds

I found this on the web somewhere: A couple of months ago "Tony F" suggested that beeswax on the back of my reeds might extend their play in upper altissimo (I've had a long standing problem with top notes not lasting through a play session).

Has anyone had any luck with this process making reeds last longer? My best trick is the buff the back of a new reed on a piece of plexiglass until it is smooth. Seems to double the life of the reed and make it speak better.

Hi, I'm the Tony F referred to. This is something that my clarinet teacher showed me about 60 years ago. He reckoned that it stopped the reeds from getting waterlogged and aided in the altissimo. I tried it at that time and didn't find it particularly useful, but I've come across other players since who find that it works for them. On another forum a correspondent suggested that carnauba wax might also function in the same way. The trick is to use only a miniscule amount on the back of the reed, enough to feel but not enough to see.
Tony F.

I treated all of my pads with mink oil once and cats followed me everywhere I took my saxophone.

Not to be a buzz kill here... Ugh... Sorry about that pun... :D... But I here I go again sounding like a broken record... (BTW, the following is not directed at you Gandalfe, but rather is a general commentary/soapbox rant ....)

Nothing has proven to me to be more effective at repelling water from a reed than using a synthetic reed. I don't know if that's why altissimo notes speak easier and more consistently across all reeds than before I switched, but since I began using the Legere Signature Series on tenor, alto, and most recently soprano--still hoping that they'll come up with a baritone version sometime before I'm too old to lift a bari to my lips--my reeds have never been more consistent. Altissimo notes have never been easier either. I'm just saying...

Yes, they are expensive; no they're not made of cane; no, purists will likely not like them. But if you want a reed that sounds like cane, yet doesn't have to be fiddle f'ed with, and you don't have to worry about keeping wet, then the Signature Series is seriously worth a try.

I have 4 that I keep in a reed guard that I rotate like I would cane reeds, and depending on how much I play the horn, and how hard I'm playing, last me about a year. Those 4 reeds are approximately a $100 investment. Unless my math skills are even worse than I'm aware of ;) , this is no more than a year's supply of good cane reeds.

Go ahead try one, and see what you think. I switched to them when I became totally disillusioned with Fibracell's quality and performance. In total I've been using synthetics for over 15 years now, and couldn't be happier. YMMV of course, but go on and try a Legere. What have you got to lose? Seriously?

Synthetic reed technology has evolved by leaps and bounds over the past decade or so. With so many excellent brands out there--most of which I haven't tried--I can't understand why so many players/instructors are still resistant to trying out some of the premium brands.

Just a quickie re: Legere. I like/use them too and am especially pleased with them on my lower horns –– bass clarinet, bass and baritone sax

Helen,

I am also disgusted by the poor quality & inconsistency of Fibracells these days. How did you zero in on the proper strength for the Legere? All the strength comparison charts seem to compare to regular Fibracells (S, MS, M, etc.), not the premium numbered ones. I go back and forth between a 2 and a 2.5, depending on the gig.

I'm also liking the Harry Hartman Carbon Fiberreeds in a medium soft for my louder rock gigs, but they are a bit fragile at the tip and chip very easily.

How did you zero in on the proper strength for the Legere? All the strength comparison charts seem to compare to regular Fibracells (S, MS, M, etc.), not the premium numbered ones. I go back and forth between a 2 and a 2.5, depending on the gig.

Another pro player from town who I used to do a lot of work for actually, knew I was looking for another brand of reed. He too had been using Fibracells, and discovered the Legere Signature Series. One day he came over to my place with his case stuffed full of a bunch of different Legere reeds (Studio Cut, Signature, Regular) in a bunch of different strengths.

I had previously tried Legere reeds (Studio and regular) and not liked them, so I was skeptical. He told me to trust him. In the middle of trying all these various Legeres was suddenly a 2 1/4 (tenor) that was amazing. It turned out to be the Signature Series.

For alto I bought the same size, but it was too soft. I ended up needing a 2 1/2, and sometimes a 2 3/4 or even a 3 if I play a closed tip M/P.

Legere does have an exchange policy. If you buy a reed that's not the right size, you could return it to them and exchange it for another strength. I never did use that program of theirs.

I'm also liking the Harry Hartman Carbon Fiberreeds in a medium soft for my louder rock gigs, but they are a bit fragile at the tip and chip very easily.

I've also tried those on alto and tenor. They work great on my daily player alto m/p (Runyon Custom), but are too wide for my Dukoff tenor piece. I know you're supposed to be able to trim the sides down a bit, but I'm not keen to try it.

In general I've found the the Carbon Fiberreeds are not nearly as flexible on the type of mouthpieces they can be played on. For tenor, even on the m/p's they are not too wide for, I found I didn't like the sound. I don't have nearly as many alto pieces as I do tenor, but in general there are not that many on which the Carbon Fiberreed sound good, let alone great on.

This is where the Legere Signature Series excels. They are consistent across all m/p's, and are able to be played across all styles of music from classical to hard rock, and everything in between.

Thanks, Helen. That's good info - wasn't aware about the exchange policy. I had also tried the regular Legeres a few years ago and wasn't impressed.

The good news is I have settled on one mouthpiece for clarinet, tenor and bari, so I should be able to zero in pretty quickly. Alto is another story, but I play it so seldom that my old Fibracells should last me a while. I think I will order a 2.25 and a 2.5 for tenor and see where that leads me.

Back
Top Bottom