Cannonball Arezzo Piacere Premium Bb Clarinets

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I ran across this strange looking contraption, that of the Cannonball Arezzo Piacere Premium Bb Clarinet. Nice looking albeit weird eye candy, this was interesting. Cannonball saxes are enjoyed by some of my friends.
piacere.jpg

Looks like a plastic/rubber body with a hot stamped logo at the top (this from the texture and tone of the photography), an extra touchpiece on the G# key (cheap to add, mind you) and a couple of wood turnings for the bell and barrel a la Backun. Given the source, the visual cues, and the timing (about two years after the Backun horns became common from what was once Leblanc), I'd say that these are Chinese produced horns with either Backun barrels and bells, or with imitation Backun barrels and bells.

We will see, of course.

Upon looking further into the company's website, I would predict that I was right. No mention of clarinet body material, very carefully chosen phrases that lean one way but never quite get there. Perhaps they are the next R13's, however. Anyone wanna take any bets that I'm wrong?

I actually think the bell looks kinda ugly. And Jim knows what my bari looks like :). I do like the color of the barrel and bell.

No pricing info. I even Googled for it.

A lime green Vito Dazzler is different and arguably acceptable, too :). Hey, I owned the clear Buffet clarinet with the copper keywork ....

IMO, the look that kind of bell and barrel is going for is "17th century". Not a bad thing, per se, but a little overdone.

As I said, I do like the color.

SOTSDO said:
No mention of clarinet body material
It says "Grenadilla Body", if you scroll down below "Models Available".
However, I've never been a fan of the Backun look.

tictactux said:
SOTSDO said:
No mention of clarinet body material
It says "Grenadilla Body", if you scroll down below "Models Available".
However, I've never been a fan of the Backun look.

I just clicked on the links at the upper left, so I missed that mention down below. (I also didn't note the scroll bar on the website itself, as I just scrolled my web browser down all of the way.. But, just because they use the magic wood doesn't mean that it's going to be that good.

At any rate, we'll see as soon as someone takes the plunge. It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but (given the ad copy and the lack of any pricing information at all), I doubt that we've been introduced to the new R13...

I have seen the prototype models of these clarinets in person since I live and work close to the Cannonball headquarters in Utah. I believe the price point for these clarinets will be somewhere between 2 to 3K and that they will be very competitively priced when compared to clarinets of equal quality especially since each comes with two custom bells and barrels, and has either gold or silver plated keys.

John

jbtsax said:
I have seen the prototype models of these clarinets in person since I live and work close to the Cannonball headquarters in Utah. I believe the price point for these clarinets will be somewhere between 2 to 3K and that they will be very competitively priced when compared to clarinets of equal quality especially since each comes with two custom bells and barrels, and has either gold or silver plated keys. John
Welcome John. Did you get a chance to play or hear
them? Maybe they'll be the next Ref 54? :cool:

I can't believe they'd be Reference 54-ish because what are they referencing?

Hey, nice to have you here, jbtsax! Enjoy your stay!

I played a CB clarinet at NAMM in January. Frankly, I don't recall that barrel and bell, but the display featured new clarinets by CB. I played so many things at NAMM that it is hard to recall the mediocre stuff I played - and the CB clarinets were mediocre, compared to other brands I tried that day. While I was VERY impressed with CB's Vintage alto, and their sopranos, the clarinets left me unimpressed. DAVE

I ran across a player using one of these in my classical ensemble. They seemed to really like the horn but didn't feel like the odd looking bits really made that big of a difference or an improvement over a good R13 or other professional clarinet.

I apologize for not seeing the previous questions about what I considered to be the "standouts" I saw at NAMM last January.

Among the various clarinet brands I liked were the Buffets (although I thought they were greatly overpriced); the Selmers (I don't recall which models were displayed but all the ones I tried played well); the Yamahas (awkward display and my visit was untimely in that shortly after I played a few of them, a live electric combo began nearby effectively shutting out all attempts to test Yamaha instruments); and the Patricola line was very nice.

The Yamaha display was almost laughable - their saxophones were displayed on a multi-tiered series of cases and to get them off the stands and into one's hands required some adept manuevering. I gave up after a few minutes - the saxophones I was able to play were bland - altos and sopranos.

Then when the electric combo began, I saw some middle-eastern-looking guy trying to play some brass instruments in the midst of all the cacophony. His out-of-tune attempts at blowing horns along with the annoying racket coming from the electronic combo struck me as a hilarious scene. I laughed out loud then left the area. And I really wanted to give Yamahas a fair evaluation.

If at all possible, go to the next NAMM Show. DAVE

There is one positive aspect and that is if it gets a student to stay longer in the music program, I'm all for it. Bring on the green or pink instruments, funky bells and barrels, and weird ligs. Just as long as we keep the kids playing as long as possible.

There is one positive aspect and that is if it gets a student to stay longer in the music program, I'm all for it. Bring on the green or pink instruments, funky bells and barrels, and weird ligs. Just as long as we keep the kids playing as long as possible.
There's definitely a component of that in some of the funky clarinets/saxophones.

If you're a teacher and you think that you "have to" teach in a certain way or "it's wrong", you're probably not a good teacher. Go with the flow. Incorporate new techniques, etc.

The only time I wouldn't want my studentia to have odd colored instruments would be if I had a marching band and wanted everything to be uniform. Otherwise, I don't care at all -- as long as the horn's not absolute junk.

Back
Top Bottom