Children of Eden

Did this about a month ago. It is a FABULOUS show though. Did it with a county wide high school playhouse and the kids were fantastic. Thankfully the directors realize the benefit in hiring out for the pit orchestras so it's a lot of the band directors from the high schools that can still play, my teacher and myself that do most of them.

Are you gonna be a band teacher? Just curious... :cool:

I entertained ideas of becoming a band teacher. This was until Dad talked to me about how little money they actually make. Dunno if I would have been a good teacher though or if I could have gotten through the curriculum. It's a tough row to hoe.

I did sound for this show back in '99. I worked my butt off getting great animal sounds--researched from some Sfx tapes. The Sfx on teh interwebs hadn't taken off yet.

They got plenty of applause--they even got a 'curtain call'. I played them from my Kurzweil 2500 (which was the best sampler at the time).

The show was well, ok, but I really don't care for Stephen Schwartz's tunes. His lyrics are generally OK, but the songs <bleah>. I only like Lloyd-Webbers music less.

Honestly that's my dream job. Why I'm an engineering major I don't know. My 3rd band director in high school and I fought like cats and dogs and last week when I saw him he said I'd be better at it than he would, but I'd end up being made an administrator before I'd have a chance to really settle in.
I blame my mother for all of this. She was an amazing teacher turned superintendant, although she still taught 2 classes a semester so maybe that could work and my principle in high school taught a couple of classes as well. They both claimed it kept them more in tune with what the kids were needing out of their teachers.
I really love teaching, and I guess I'm just in engineering for the money. Master plan is to do engineering for 10 years or so then try to get a teaching job while doing masters in music ed. I'd really like to have a job where I can still play regularly and stay in check with all that's going on in the music world though. You seem to be doing well but from what I hear, Microsoft has a lot of musicians working for them and you guys play semi regularly together. One of my buddies dads works for Microsoft in the Carolinas and they have a small combo that plays once a week at one of the restaurants downtown.
I guess the reason I didn't go into it to begin with was because from the time I was in 5th grade I was told I was going to become a band director and I was probably just dead set on proving them wrong. Also I guess I was afraid of mixing my passion with my career and getting burnt out. We'll see. One of the school's near me is just getting a masters in music program off the ground. They offered me a full ride for music ed. when I graduated high school and I was offered a full ride for the masters program once it gets going. May have to take them up on it.

I did sound for this show back in '99. I worked my butt off getting great animal sounds--researched from some Sfx tapes. The Sfx on teh interwebs hadn't taken off yet.
Now that's going the extra step.

Honestly that's my dream job. Why I'm an engineering major I don't know...I really love teaching, and I guess I'm just in engineering for the money. Master plan is to do engineering for 10 years or so then try to get a teaching job while doing masters in music ed. I'd really like to have a job where I can still play regularly and stay in check with all that's going on in the music world though. You seem to be doing well but from what I hear, Microsoft has a lot of musicians working for them and you guys play semi regularly together. One of my buddies dads works for Microsoft in the Carolinas and they have a small combo that plays once a week at one of the restaurants downtown.

I guess the reason I didn't go into it to begin with was because from the time I was in 5th grade I was told I was going to become a band director and I was probably just dead set on proving them wrong. Also I guess I was afraid of mixing my passion with my career and getting burnt out. We'll see. One of the school's near me is just getting a masters in music program off the ground. They offered me a full ride for music ed. when I graduated high school and I was offered a full ride for the masters program once it gets going. May have to take them up on it.

I was taking accounting and finance when I took a reserve job as a finance officer. Gawd I hated the job and I became an Army Engineer. Luv'd building expedient roadways, bridges, and buildings. I often wondered what would have happened if I'd stayed the accounting track I was on.

If you think you want to be a band teacher, follow one around for a month. It could be an eye-opener or just confirmation. I'm just sayin...

I'm really close with a few of them, and I've taught a lot of band camps and master classes, have a few cousins that are. It's definitely something I want to do,a lthough I agree, shadowing one for a month may be good. Originally I wanted to go into the military for their music program, or if I did the engineering thing to go in and do that gig but I have a blood clotting disorder so that ones out.
The internship I had this past summer was the real eye-opener for the engineering thing. A lot of the mech. engineers I talked to were miserable because they ended up in jobs that were more along the line of MBA's instead of engineers. When I asked then when the last real engineering job they had was, the answer was usually along the lines of the first 3 or so years until they got promoted to project managers and what not. I just don't think I am cut out for a desk job...

Being a retired college prof (archaeology/anthropology) and a current graduate student in music - at the same university - I'd suggest that you might consider college teaching rather than the secondary/high school. It might require a few more years of grad work, beyond the Masters, but it could put you in a situation where you could pretty much teach and play forever. With your skills and obvious abilities, why not take advantage of the full-ride Masters - maybe even teach for a year or two - and then go for the PhD or DMA and a college/university slot.

Just a passing thought from an old geezer who envies you your wide musical experience.

That would be the dream job and ideally that's what I'm looking to do. I know a lot of the DMA programs prefer teaching experience first though. We'll see where this takes me. Hopefully somewhere fun and enjoyable.

but if I have a DMA then I should have no problem playing Reed 1 for Children of Eden as I will be well versed at flute...:emoji_smile: We'll behave

Back
Top Bottom