clarinet pitch

My daughter gave me a used clarinet since I told her I played as a kid. The problem is when I play the "A" fingering (440 bps) I get a "G" and when I play an open "G", I get an "F" and so on. What am I missing? The clarinet is a B flat, which is what I played years ago, but I don't remember this happening. Is there a way I could correct this such as with a shorter barrel, or does it need correcting?

Hi,

This clarinet may be out of tune, or you are playing with the wrong fingerings. Pull in, or out the barrel, the barrel is the tuning point of the instrument. Tune your instrument by downloading a tuner online(many tuners are free online for apps on a phone/computer/tablet) or go to your nearest music store and get an instrument tuner. I recommend doing the barrel, or go repair your instrument a a music store. Hope this helped! :)

My daughter gave me a used clarinet since I told her I played as a kid. The problem is when I play the "A" fingering (440 bps) I get a "G" and when I play an open "G", I get an "F" and so on. What am I missing? The clarinet is a B flat, which is what I played years ago, but I don't remember this happening. Is there a way I could correct this such as with a shorter barrel, or does it need correcting?

Play a C and you should get a Bb. That is correct (as are the other pitches which differ from what you were expecting).

If the instrument were really this far off, you would never be able to fix it, but it is where it is supposed to be. Now it if is a bit high or low, a different barrel will take care of you, but we need more information to direct you to a different barrel -such as how sharp or flat it is reading on a tuner.

In case it still isn't clear. The Bb clarinet is a transposing instrument. To sound a Concert F (the pitch on a piano) the clarinet plays its written G. To sound a Concert Bb the clarinet plays its written C. The clarinet transposes up a whole step from the Concert pitch.

Back
Top Bottom