clarinet replacement key

Hello everyone
Hope someone can help. I am searching for a replacement #2 'c' trill key for a Boosey and Hawkes Regent model clarinet. I have tried searching the web with no results. Thanks

Hi, Surreygirl! Welcome to the forum!

That's an older student model -- Boosey & Hawkes didn't make horns (Hawkes did, a looong time ago), but imported horns -- so it'll be somewhat difficult to find an exact match. I'd recommend:

* Search eBay to see if you can find a beat-up horn that's cheap and around the same serial number as yours. After all, you're just searching for the one part :).
* Check with a local repairman. Someone might have a "close" match and/or could make something into a good match.
* Wait for one of the other folks on this forum. I'm always amazed at what they have lying around.
* Consider buying a different horn. Seriously, it might not be that expensive, especially for a used student horn.

What's your budget?

Boosey and Hawkes did import instruments but they also made them too
Regent, Emperor, Imperial (926) and the symphony (1010 model) were all made by B&H

Regarding your Key, I assume you are in Surrey England - pop into Jonathan Myall Music 46 Southend Croydon CR0 1DP on a Thursday and I will sort you one out -

Is it a wooden Regent or a plastic/resin one?

Griff

Sidebar for Griff: do you have any evidence of that? I've heard from too many people and seen too many B&H horns that are stencils ("Regent", for example, was a Kohlert stencil name) to think that they made their own instruments. Published music, yes. Made horns, no. If you do have evidence, I'd like to be informed. Knowledge is power!

AFAIK B&H also made clarinets. Someone who you might want to contact to ask about that is Peter Eaton, an English clarinet maker. If I remember, I think he actually uses some of the tools and machines that he got from B&H when they stopped making instruments.

Yes, B&H made clarinets.

They had factories in which they were made .. such as in Edgeware made in the Edgeware factory and their HQ on Regent street. They did import a few clarinets and when they bought buffet they stopped making clarinets.

here's more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boosey_&_Hawkes

Mr Eaton bought the tooling from B&H when they closed the factories - but he will tell you that he improved the tooling greatly for his clarinets. You can see the heritage though when comparing an Eaton and a 1010.

there's tons of rich information about them in some museum in the UK. I have the pleasure of knowing a pro clarinet player who loves B&H clarinets and he has probably researched the company to death and their product lines and mouthpieces.

I sit corrected.

Let's just make it that B&H didn't make their own saxophones :). Hawkes did and Boosey may have, but Boosey and Hawkes didn't. At least, as far as I've seen :).

fyi

B&H clarinets did import some French bodies in the 1930s to make some pre war 1010 London and Paris models. But by and large all their clarinets were all made in Edgware.

Hawkes & Son did import many of their clarinets from France. Hawkes merged with Boosey & Co in 1930 but operated clarinet manufacture from 1900 - 1930.

Back
Top Bottom