Classical solos written for Bari

I'm looking for a Bari Sax solo with a piano accompaniment for a friends Junior recital (college). I know tons for alto but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion of anything Bari specific?

Sorry. Not off the top of my head, for pieces that have piano accompaniment. When doing recitals/auditions, I almost exclusively played Bach cello suites. My favorite -- and possibly the most bari friendly, as it only goes down to A -- is Suite #4 in F.

bari sax solo

My daughter found that some of the famous English horn solos sound beautiful on baritone sax. One she really likes is the English horn solo from Dvorak's New World symphony. With piano you'd have to transpose though.

Or...

...since finding a pianist often called for requesting help from someone else, you might get farther by learning to transpose the english horn part and having a pianist play at pitch. I'm just sayin'...

Does anyone know the convention for referring to the "English horn" in print? It would seem that, since the "English" in the name does not really refer to the nationality, but rather is a mis-construing of the French term for "angled", that it is not really "English" at all, and would hence not be spelled out with the capital.

An argument for this approach would be with sueded leather, since the "suede" term is nothing more than an untranslated French term for Swede. However, I've always seen the French horn referred to as "French", rather than "french", so I could be persuaded either way. And then there's the ballet Russé, which I think is the way I remember seeing it.

Not helping here in either direction is the French tendency to capitalize in a somewhat strange fashion (compared to English), as in "amiral Villenueve" (for the ill-fated Admiral Villenueve, the commander of the losing Combined Fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar)...

As an Englishman, I have to say that we use the French name.... English horn is an American mistranslation which sounds false and cheap to my ears. So it's up to you to come up with an acceptable convention. But if you want to give due precedence to the founders of your country, then English horn would be my preference.

I use the nomenclature that most people understand. Nine out of nine people know what I mean by English horn. It would be the rare person who would know what an angled horn is. I make no value judgement on how we got to the name of the instrument in modern times. :cool:

We could use...

..."crooked long oboe" for all I care. But, "english" is this case is nothing more than a corruption of the French term for "angled".

Of course, "clarinet" is a corruption of "little trumpet", as heard in the original Italian (I believe), so what are you going to do?

And then, there's "French kiss"...

Anglais vs. Angle

Sorry I don't have the proper accent for the "e". Posters are correct in that the term "English Horn" came from an improper translation. However, in the USA, English horn is the common term for the angled horn or oboe. I was trying to be helpful to the original poster who was looking for baritone sax solo ideas. There are several nice books of English horn solos with piano accompaniment that should be available in most music stores. To find them, the poster would have to look in the "English horn" section.

And I meant that the baritone sax player would have to do the transposing. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I'm looking for a Bari Sax solo with a piano accompaniment for a friends Junior recital (college). I know tons for alto but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion of anything Bari specific?

Dorn Publications has tons of saxophone music including solos for all types of saxophones. I don't do much classical baritone playing, but I did record one legit bari solo that I bought from Dorn. Here's the youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5fDen0yZ8

Does anyone know the convention for referring to the "English horn" in print? It would seem that, since the "English" in the name does not really refer to the nationality, but rather is a mis-construing of the French term for "anguished", that it is not really "English" at all, and would hence not be spelled out with the capital.
Fixed your quote for you, Terry :p.

FWIW, I happen to like the tone color of the cor anglais.

Playing with Google translate ....

"Angled" = "incliné"
"Bent" = "courbé" (which you've seen if you've been on any French sax website)
"Alto" (as in "alto oboe") = "alto"

While I like the idea of saying that "anglais" is a corruption of "angled," that'd be going from English to French (which is what happened), not to mention that dictionary.com (and others) just say that it's from the French for "English horn." According to Wikipedia -- which means it must be true -- the cor anglais is from Silesia, which seems to be comprised of mainly Poland, but some bits of Czechoslovakia and Germany.

Speaking of extended historical connections

Late last week, while reading about ancient Carthage in an extremely dry book, I did glean one very interesting fact:

While on the way to fight the Romans in middle Italy, Hannibal worked an alliance with a "tribe" called the Boii, up in northern Italy. Every man jack of the Boii was dragged off to fight alongside the Carthaginians for a year or so, including through the horrific Battle of Cannae. They then were split off by the Romans in another alliance making effort.

Following the Second Punic War, the Boii were resettled from Northern Italy to an area "beyond the Pale" of the "civilized world", well north of the Alps. That area later became known as Bohemia, after the Boii.

My father's family moved from Bohemia after the Thirty Years War (they were on the losing, Imperial side, if family lore can be believed) over to Bavaria, where they remained until the Red Revolutions after World War I - after being on another losing side. (Grandpa Fred was the first clarinet player in the family, a tradition that I've carried on with some degree of distinction over the years.)

(In a way, I carried on family tradition as well, being in the armored cavalry over in RVN - we lost that one as well, didn't we?)

So, since all of the male members of the Boii were dragged off to fight with Hannibal, I gotta figure that some of the Stibals were there on the line as well, dodging the elephant droppings and doing the ol' hack and thrust with the best of them, once again, fighting for the losing side.

(...) I gotta figure that some of the Stibals were there on the line as well, dodging the elephant droppings and doing the ol' hack and thrust with the best of them (...)
Ever so slightly unrelated, but this just came to mind:

A man is visiting the circus, and as he walks by the elephant cage, he sees somebody shoveling up their poop. He asks the sweeper if he's a keeper, to which the sweeper replies "no, I just clean up after them". Surprised, the man wonders if the cleaner enjoys his job. The cleaner replies "no, it hurts my back, the poop stinks, the pee even more so. What's worse is that the elephants will step in their poop and track it everywhere, and I have to follow them and clean it all up." - "Are you getting paid much?" - "No" says the cleaner, "the pay is also miserable, I'd get more working at McDonald's". "So why don't you quit?" asks the man, to which the cleaner replies:
"WHAT, AND LEAVE SHOWBIZ!?"

Late last week, while reading about ancient Carthage in an extremely dry book, I did glean one very interesting fact:

While on the way to fight the Romans in middle Italy, Hannibal worked an alliance with a "tribe" called the Boii, up in northern Italy. Every man jack of the Boii was dragged off to fight alongside the Carthaginians for a year or so, including through the horrific Battle of Cannae. They then were split off by the Romans in another alliance making effort.

Following the Second Punic War, the Boii were resettled from Northern Italy to an area "beyond the Pale" of the "civilized world", well north of the Alps. That area later became known as Bohemia, after the Boii.

My father's family moved from Bohemia after the Thirty Years War (they were on the losing, Imperial side, if family lore can be believed) over to Bavaria, where they remained until the Red Revolutions after World War I - after being on another losing side. (Grandpa Fred was the first clarinet player in the family, a tradition that I've carried on with some degree of distinction over the years.)

(In a way, I carried on family tradition as well, being in the armored cavalry over in RVN - we lost that one as well, didn't we?)

So, since all of the male members of the Boii were dragged off to fight with Hannibal, I gotta figure that some of the Stibals were there on the line as well, dodging the elephant droppings and doing the ol' hack and thrust with the best of them, once again, fighting for the losing side.
Throughout the entirety of Terry's post, I thought he was setting up an elaborate pun. Then we get TTT's post, which I had guessed the punchline of after reading "circus."

:tongue:

Anyway, I think I've mentioned that a couple of my wife's relatives met in WWII: on from the US and one from Germany. I believe the one from the US captured the one from Germany and summarily realized that he captured his own cousin ....

We still had some kin...

...in Old Bavaria during the Second World War, so my father and his raft of brothers were all assigned to the Pacific theater. Thankfully, all of them came back more or less intact.

I personally would have taken the risk of whacking a relative or two, rather than spend time in the grotty Pacific. My Uncle Arthur still suffers the after effects of his various tropical diseases. (As do I - malaria now runs in the family.)

Back
Top Bottom