Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Claude's introduction

Hi, I'm Claude and I'm new to woodwinds.
I'm 58 and work in printing. Currently I'm rehabilitating a shoulder that was broken in a scooter accident. I speak a little Japanese, picked up a little Italian on Duolingo and made two trips to Japan so far.
I grew up south of Tucson and currently live in the San Diego area.
I've been dabbling in music for a few years, cobbling together some stringed boxes to play with. Here's a picture of me with one of my woodworking projects. This is a medieval vielle based on an instrument found in the wreck of the Mary Rose, albeit with a few changes for my taste. Modern pegs and wooden frets.
IMG_1008.JPG

I always wanted an oboe because I love the sound, but considering what they cost I recently bought a clarinet. Much cheaper, particularly when purchased used. Since I have two locations where I can keep an instrument for practice I bought a second used instrument, which is currently in the shop getting a few pads and a tenon cork. I'll have one at work for after everyone goes home and one at home to play in the evenings.
Then I found an oboe that had just come out of the shop in playable condition for $150. With the last clarinet, it's been a very expensive month.
For now I'm focused on figuring out the oboe with out driving the neighbors crazy. I can't afford lessons, so it's been interesting.

Gandalfe

Admin and all around good guy.
Staff member
Administrator
San Diego and surrounds, that's where my mother was born and raised. Nice country. That box fiddle looks interesting. When I finally decided to learn clarinet it took me a year before I would play it publicly. Then I played it in a community band for a year and fortunately two more bass clarinet players showed up so that I could go back to the sax section. Do consider taking a lesson or two, it can speed up your adoption as a performing musician in so many ways. Welcome and good luck.

The fiddle is made from solid oak sourced from the finest seasoned pallets.
Sometimes you get lucky with a good pallet. I salvaged one where the boards on top were rosewood and the runners were mahogany.
I wish I could find another one of those.

Top Bottom