Conn Stencil Metal Clarinet - Peate's Music - Utica NY

Hi folks,

I've been trying to find some info about the metal clarinet I bought years ago off of ebay. It is marked on the Bell 'Peate's Music - Utica, NY.' It was uglier than sin, a horrible blotchy black color due to years of exposure to the silver-plated surface.

The serial number on the back is 17,xxx approximately. And I can't find any online resource to help me date the thing.

To my surprise, the horn played nicely right out of the box. But it was so ugly, I decided to tear it apart about 5 years ago with the idea that I'd polish it up and put it back together. Well, I polished it up THIS week (mid February 2013) on a whim and put it back together. The leather pads held up well and I only had to replace one that was utterly destroyed in the clean-up process.

I knew it was made by Conn because it had the tell-tale set screws that nobody else has ever used, plus the key style and layout and thumbrest were pretty much spot on to match Conn metal clarinets that have passed through my home. I currently have a very pretty Conn model 514 completely dissassembled, which is how I bought it and it makes comparison quite easy.

One of the keys had a patent date on it, number 1837823 which was granted to Allen Loomis on December 22, 1931 assignor to C. G. Conn.

So, all I know is that the horn was built after December of 1931. Wondering if anyone has more info on it.

Looking up the patent number gives a nice pdf of the drawings and a description of the patent.

The horn looks pretty good now. And it plays great. I'm planning on bringing it with me to rehearsals in the near future and maybe using it during an upcoming gig or two. This success has inspired me to pull out the model 514 Conn I have and see about repadding it and putting THAT one in playing condition. It's already all polished up.

Back
Top Bottom