Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Connecticut Avenue SUVs for 5-horn jazz ensemble

Roger Aldridge

Composer in Residence
Distinguished Member
The first score in a series of charts that I'm writing for 5-horn jazz ensemble (with flexible instrumentation) is finished. Interested bands can contact me for a complete set of score and parts. I'm looking for some bands to dive it a test drive. Below is a link to the score's entry on my AMC composer's page.

http://www.amc.net/library/composition.aspx?CompositionID=349760

This piece is a minimalist composition -- the melody is only 16 bars. However, it has expanded improvisation concepts for the soloist and the ensemble. There's a great amount of freedom to take the music in many creative directions.

The score was originally conceived for woodwind quintet (with alto flute) and jazz rhythm section. Alternate parts for woodwinds and brass are provided for each of the five horn lines. With this flexible approach to instrumentation, just about any configuration of wind instruments can be used for a horn section -- such as a conventional jazz horn section, sax section, brass section, woodwind quintet, clarinet ensemble, or a wild mix of tone colors.

Roger

Another score -- New Tango No. 1: Mystery -- has been finished for 5-horn ensemble. Hope to have the parts written this coming week.

If any of you have a 5-horn jazz ensemble (or as a sub-set of a big band) and would like to take these charts on a test drive please let me know.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom